Questions about OTA on Dish

11555h

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Southern Michigan
I have a couple of questions about OTA on Dish TV. I am currently using OTA with my Hopper. I have only had Dish for about 3 months so am still learning. Is there anyway to get On Demand network shows other than subscribe to network on Dish? Are there only 2 tuners for the OTA channels? In other words can I only watch and/or record 2 channels at the most? Thank you

If you do NOT have an OTA adapter there are 3 tuners that can be used for any channels that are carried by satellite. Having said that if you use Prime time any time (PTAT) they manage to use ONE tuner to record Fox, ABC, CBS an NBC during prime time.

If you have an Over the Air (OTA) adapter you gain one or two additional tuners for OTA only. These can be recorded as well.

On Demand for network shows is a new question. You could subscribe to a streaming service that has your locals but i know of no On Demand type service from DISH or anyone else.

Yes - two tuners allows for no more than two shows recorded at a time OTA. If you do not subscribe to the Networks that would be it.
I am not up to date on Networks what is available generally for on demand and streaming and what needs you to be subscribed from your provider. Looks to me you do need some type of subscription somewhere for on demand or streaming for many current shows on the big 4 Networks.

Are you trying to get shows you can't record because of the two tuner limit? A couple of suggestions that all depend on your wants and needs.

1. For $5 a month if Locast is available where you are (or if you are good with computers) you could be recording two shows on the Hopper and watch one live from Locast. It is also free but with interruptions asking for donations. You could also watch live from your TV tuner if you have it set up to do that.

2. I bought a 4 channel TIVO as my main way to watch OTA because I get virtually every channel Tampa area has. It of course requires buying the unit and subscribing to the service. However you should get the lifetime service which makes that Tivo valuable should you want to sell it because the lifetime goes with the receiver not the person. Had mine for years now very reliable.
(My VIP receiver has only one OTA tuner built in)

3. Subscribe online to stream just one of the networks - say CBS - and record the others. I am not sure but maybe one or some of the networks make shows available to stream for free after a certain time like next day etc....

4. Most straight forward of course is to pay and get them from Satellite.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Another option...if you know you're going to run out of OTA tuners for recording specific situations, log in to mydish and turn on locals for the period that you need them. When you don't need all of that simultaneous recording capability, turn off locals. The $12/month for locals is prorated for the days that you have it turned on.

If you have an H3 there are 16 tuners available plus the two for OTA, and one of the 16 can be used to record the Big 4 Nets visa satellite if you sub to locals. Personally, I use 4 Tuner TiVos for my Big 4 recording, but the Mrs. uses PTAT so we still pay the $12 per month.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you have an H3 there are 16 tuners available plus the two for OTA, and one of the 16 can be used to record the Big 4 Nets visa satellite if you sub to locals. Personally, I use 4 Tuner TiVos for my Big 4 recording, but the Mrs. uses PTAT so we still pay the $12 per month.

I believe the reason for his post was specifically trying not to subscribe to the locals. And if you can not do OTA for whatever reason your choices are more limited.
If I subscribed I might not have bought the TIVO.
At $12 a month savings, that easily paid for the lifetime Tivo service so in that light it is free now with still saving $12 a month.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thank you all for the advice. Once in awhile when trying to watch a network program and 2 other programs are recording we get a message about canceling one of the recordings. It doesn't happen often. The recent problem was I didn't have a favorite show set up for series recording and I wanted to see 3 missed episodes. I suppose I can stream them on Hulu free trial. I wanted to try that out anyway. Thanks again

Reactions: Tampa8
Once in awhile when trying to watch a network program and 2 other programs are recording we get a message about canceling one of the recordings. It doesn't happen often.

Usually the non network shows repeat again 3 hours later. Just set the priority for the network shows and let it record the reruns 3 hours later.

I think that most of the networks have websites that let you watch each show (with commercials) about a week after they aired, but not before that. Usually, this is PC only, streaming devices won't work for it.

I think that most of the networks have websites that let you watch each show (with commercials) about a week after they aired, but not before that. Usually, this is PC only, streaming devices won't work for it.

No, they all show online the next day, if not day of in some cases.

Another option...if you know you're going to run out of OTA tuners for recording specific situations, log in to mydish and turn on locals for the period that you need them. When you don't need all of that simultaneous recording capability, turn off locals. The $12/month for locals is prorated for the days that you have it turned on.
The thing to remember when doing this is to turn them on earlier in the day. (Don't try to do this at the last minute, for the reason I'll explain next.) Once the locals are activated, be sure to force a Guide Update on your receiver. For Hoppers:
Diagnostics (Home button three times, or Menu button twice, depending on remote control model)
Tools
Guide Update

This will ensure that the locals actually have guide information so that timers will work. Otherwise, the locals will only say "No Info Available" all the way across in the guide, except for the current show and the next one.

You can log back in to turn the locals back off as soon as the recordings for that day are finished. Turning the locals on for part of a day and turning them back off the same day is absolutely free. The prorated credit for dropping the locals will completely offset the prorated charge for adding them. If you count every penny, you may even see that you gain a penny or so credit toward your bill each time you do this, due to the way sales tax is calculated, if your state has sales tax on satellite TV service.

1. For $5 a month if Locast is available where you are (or if you are good with computers) you could be recording two shows on the Hopper and watch one live from Locast.
You don't even have to be that "good with computers" (VPN) as long as you are familiar with the concept of "moving" your Dish service address. I was able to use the Locast app on my deactivated purchased Hopper 3 to watch Detroit locals (the previous owner's local market) before I added the Hopper 3 to my Dish account. (I am in the Cleveland local market.) I thought I should mention this, since the OP's listed location is Southern Michigan. So, this may be an option worth considering, even if the OP is located outside the Detroit DMA. The service address on the Dish account can be "moved" even without subscribing to the satellite-delivered locals, and the Locast app would still work for the "moved" location, based on my experience.

You don't even have to be that "good with computers" (VPN) as long as you are familiar with the concept of "moving" your Dish service address. I was able to use the Locast app on my deactivated purchased Hopper 3 to watch Detroit locals (the previous owner's local market) before I added the Hopper 3 to my Dish account. (I am in the Cleveland local market.) I thought I should mention this, since the OP's listed location is Southern Michigan. So, this may be an option worth considering, even if the OP is located outside the Detroit DMA. The service address on the Dish account can be "moved" even without subscribing to the satellite-delivered locals, and the Locast app would still work for the "moved" location, based on my experience.
Good info. I was coming at it from a VIP perspective, so using an app on android or in a browser. Both can get you any city they carry and you can send it to your TV no problem. It's just about the dream of anyone who has always wanted Distants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts