QUICK 1080p QUESTION

bryce600rr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
just bought a new TV (1080p) when i go in the menu on my dish reciever VIP722 it only show that i can select 480i, 720p, 1080i, i thought dish was full 1080p HD... can someone tell me how to fix this.. thanks for any help..
BP

Only a few (one?) VOD programs are in 1080p. Everything else is available at the resolutions that you stated.

Alot of people seem to be confused about this, maybe they should change how they state it?

Last edited:
612 loud in the middle of the night

Our 612 "resets" or whatever in the middle of the night. Is this normal for receivers? Also, if we are dvr-ing 2 things but watching a previous recording it will freeze up and do the same thing. Is this a known problem with the 612 or should I call DISH?

Thanks, pfan

omg, i'm an idiot. i forgot i was replying instead of posting. :D

1080p is on some of the ppv movie channels only. Otherwise the rest is 1080i, which isn't bad either.

pfan

omg, i'm an idiot. i forgot i was replying instead of posting. :D

1080p is on some of the ppv movie channels only. Otherwise the rest is 1080i, which isn't bad either.

pfan

More specifically, the resolution depends on the source. ESPN, ABC, FOX and some others show 720p (better for sports, fast motion, etc.). Other networks like Discovery, NBC, and CBS choose to show 1080i. They have set up their equipment as such and probably won't be changing it anytime soon to 1080p. Assuming you have your 1080p TV hooked up correctly cable-wise and settings-wise, you should be getting the best possible resolution, and the receiver will switch it for you as you change channels.

just bought a new TV (1080p) when i go in the menu on my dish reciever VIP722 it only show that i can select 480i, 720p, 1080i, i thought dish was full 1080p HD... can someone tell me how to fix this.. thanks for any help..
BP

Dish has only one VOD 1080P channel. You must have an HDMI connection to your TV. It is in the 500 series. The 1080P is downloaded into your receiver. The cost is $6.99 for 24 hours. The current movie playing is The Dark Night.

10/4 guys.. not a big deal just wondering:D thanks for the quick replys on this.. i now understand and can move on to a few other thing i need to figure out:D

All the info for 1080p/60 is contained within the data for 1080i/30. Your 1080p TV will scale it for you automatically. As others have pointed out some signals are native 720p/60 which are also scaled to your sets native resolution.

Dish has only one VOD 1080P channel. You must have an HDMI connection to your TV. It is in the 500 series. The 1080P is downloaded into your receiver. The cost is $6.99 for 24 hours. The current movie playing is The Dark Night.

There might be a $1 "processing fee" too added on top of that ... :(

As far as I know, there are no plans for any networks to upgrade to 1080p any time soon. I've heard it costs about four times more to put out a program in 1080p than it does in 720p or 1080i, so for at least the next 4 years the only thing you'll be able to watch in 1080p is BluRay and VOD, and even all of that is not 1080p. If you are in the market for a TV, save your buy a 1080i and upgrade to 1080p in 7 or 8 years when things become more readily broadcast in it.

Our 612 "resets" or whatever in the middle of the night. Is this normal for receivers? Also, if we are dvr-ing 2 things but watching a previous recording it will freeze up and do the same thing. Is this a known problem with the 612 or should I call DISH?

Thanks, pfan

Change your update time to another time besides 3am default.

Is one of the things recording when the freeze occurs an OTA channel? Typically, it should not be locking up and rebooting.

Make a note to see what channels are on or recroding when it locks up AND what time it is and whether they are Dish channels or OTA channels. This could help in the diagnosis. Hopefully, you do not need a replacement but it is possible.

All the info for 1080p/60 is contained within the data for 1080i/30.

Not sure what you were trying to say there. If you were trying to say "All of the info for 1080p24 is contained within the data for 1080i60", then I would agree, and it would also be relevant, as a good deinterlacer will properly extract and reconstruct 1080p24 (almost all movies and scripted TV shows) packaged inside of 1080i60, making it a moot point that the STB can only output 1080i.

As far as I know, there are no plans for any networks to upgrade to 1080p any time soon. I've heard it costs about four times more to put out a program in 1080p than it does in 720p or 1080i, so for at least the next 4 years the only thing you'll be able to watch in 1080p is BluRay and VOD, and even all of that is not 1080p. If you are in the market for a TV, save your buy a 1080i and upgrade to 1080p in 7 or 8 years when things become more readily broadcast in it.

Just about every movie and scripted TV show you watch in HD is 1080p24, it just happens to be packaged inside of a 1080i60 signal for broadcast, and often between the STB and TV. As I've written countless times before, a good deinterlacer can extract and reconstruct 1080p24 from 1080i60. So hundreds of thousands of people are already able today to receive and view 1080p as it was filmed, even though the broadcast, and even the connection to the TV is only 1080i60. True 1080p60 sources are a whole different matter though, and 1080p60 isn't even part of the ATSC standard.

Edit: I know some smartass is going to comment that "you don't film 1080p". I know that, I mean content shot at 24fps on film and then digitally mastered at 1080p24.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)