Quick Clarifications for 2-Room 625 Setup, Please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhlaws

Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Monroe, NC
Hi, all! This is my first time here, and so far I've found this site extremely helpful. I currently have digital cable and am going to be switching to Dish Network. I always do my homework first so that I know exactly what to order. So to that end I have two questions for clarification. I am looking to get a 625 DVR receiver. I will be back-feeding it to a TV upstairs. Here are my questions:
1. There are 2 inputs: TV1 and TV2. The backfeed is basically TV2. Does this mean that the upstairs TV will only get what's on the TV2 tuner? In other words, if I have something recording on TV2, can the upstairs TV still be able to view live TV or watch a recorded show?
2. What equipment do I need to backfeed to upstairs?

Depending on the answer to #1, I may want to get a second receiver or DVR for upstairs. I read another thread which discussed using two DVRs, and it looks like it's possible. Maybe a little confusing for the less-technically-able, but doable, I think.

Thanks a lot for your help!

bhlaws said:
In other words, if I have something recording on TV2, can the upstairs TV still be able to view live TV or watch a recorded show?
2. What equipment do I need to backfeed to upstairs?

You can watch a RECORDED program while TV2 is recording, but not ANOTHER live show. What you record is what you watch, live-wise.

If you can tap into the coax running to TV2, there is not special equipment necessary other than a barrell connector or two and male connectors

OK, so what you have on TV2 on the box is what you get on the second TV. There's a one-to-one corellation. So that also means I can spy on what my kids are watching on TV2 by seeing it on the other TV, right? :D

Thanks!

No, I don't think you've got it, I don't think! The 625 is TWO SEPARATE tuners in ONE box. When you are in DUAL mode (making each TV separate) each TV (with its remote) work independently of each other. In SINGLE mode, you would be seeing what is being watched on TV1 on TV2 as well but not the other way around. Also remember, regardless of which TV you originated a recording from, the recorded program is accessible from either set.

Did you like it when your parents spied on you?

OK, I get it now. So what I will be doing is only using TV1 for watching downstairs (and recording when TV2 is already recording). As far as downstairs is concerned, TV2 won't exist except as a place to perform recordings (using Record +, or whatever it's called). TV2 will either be recording or being used to output to the other TV.

No, the spying thing is not exactly pleasant. I wasn't planning on it -- I figured it was an effective example for my (mis)understanding. It worked! :D

Thanks, that really clarified things for me.

KAB said:
No, I don't think you've got it, I don't think! The 625 is TWO SEPARATE tuners in ONE box. When you are in DUAL mode (making each TV separate) each TV (with its remote) work independently of each other. In SINGLE mode, you would be seeing what is being watched on TV1 on TV2 as well but not the other way around. Also remember, regardless of which TV you originated a recording from, the recorded program is accessible from either set.

Did you like it when your parents spied on you?

bhlaws said:
OK, so what you have on TV2 on the box is what you get on the second TV. There's a one-to-one corellation. So that also means I can spy on what my kids are watching on TV2 by seeing it on the other TV, right? :D

Thanks!

If you want to do that, hook up a splitter to TV two out, and loop it back through the OA ant jack. Then you can cut off Tuner 1, switch the TV to 60 or whatever channel TV 2 works on and Voila! You can keep tabs on your kids.

TV2 has two outputs, RF Modulated output and composite. You can send the RF modulated output to TV1 and connect the composite to an available A/V input in your TV1. You can just select the video source on TV1 and look at what's showing on TV2.

OR; Llets confuse you some more.
Modulated output from TV2 goes through the walls to a second TV in another room. I've got the composite from TV2 going to a DVD player/recorder. The ouput from the DVD player/recorder goes to Video 1 of my main TV.
So I just switch my main TV to Video 1 to watch whats going to the second TV.

Thanks for all the options/suggestions! I think I'll do one of these on my main TV. Thankfully, I have a macro remote control, so I can just set the complicated switching to a single action. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts