quick question regarding 622 UHF remote

philipf22

Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I did some searching and I think what I want to do is possible. I just want to run it by you all before purchasing another remote.

Goal:
To control my 622 TV1 and TV2 using only UHF remotes so I don't need line of site.

I already have a 6.3 remote that came with the 622. I will contiunue to use that for TV2.

I want to make sure that I can purchase a 6.2 or 6.3 to control TV1. I want independent operation such that my original 6.3 controls TV2 like it does today while my new 6.2 UHF remote will control my TV1.

This thread suggest that this can be done but seems to be more focused on the aux controlling another unit which isn't what I'm looking for:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=83146

Thanks a ton for the great forum!:hatsoff:

You need a 6.3 for tv 1 and a green tv1 uhf tab for the remote a 6.2 will work on tv2 but not tv 1. I use the 6.3 that came with my 622 to control tuner 1 on a second hdtv in my bedroom distributed via component cables and the IR remote in the main room for tuner 1 via hdmi. I have 3 6.2 remotes that control tuner 2 with at various other tvs in the house.

I went through this so that I could watch TV1 HD on my bedroom HDTV. I have the HDMI from the 622 to the family room HDTV & ran a 50' component cable in the wall to upstairs & across the room to the TV.

You'll need to use a 6.3 remote & a set of the colored "keys." You need the green one with the black 1 & UHF pro on it. I tried it with a 6.2, but it wouldn't change the remote address to IR/UHF in system setup. I bought the keys on eBay for about $20 (I think, it's been awile). The directions I have didn't list the 622 for IR/UHF, but trying the different keys with different remotes I finally got it to work with the 6.3 & the above key. I actually used the TV2 6.3 remote & now use a 6.0 with the TV2 blue UHF key for TV2.

Last edited:
ahhh. So what I'll really be doing is switching my existing 6.3 to control my TV1. Then I'll setup the purchased 6.2 with the Green TV1UHF tab for TV2. Will the remotes generally come with the tabs?

Green Key UHF

I brought a Green keyed UHF from Dish for less than $30 shipped UPS 2 day air. They just sent me a new remote it had several keys with it. I have a 16x9 second TV and I wanted to get the TV1 feed on it sometimes because it has 16x9 format on HD channels and you don’t have blow the picture up even though it’s 480i.

I believe the only difference between the 6.2 and 6.3 are the color of the buttons, but I can not swear to that.

If you call Dish Network, ask for Technical Support, and tell them you need a 6.3 IR/UHF PRO Remote Kit for the ViP 622 TV1, Part Number 144552. I believe it will cost about $39 plus shipping. They can add it to your account, or you can pay for it over the phone with a credit card. (I done this so that I can control TV1 from the master bedroom while the kids watch TV2 in the other bedrooms.)

This remote kit is not available from retailers. I guess they could buy it as a customer and then sell it, but it's not an item they can order and go pick up with their other dealer items.

This kit comes with a 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote just like the ViP 622 TV2 Remote, except for it has an extra tab. The remote has 2 tabs that can be flipped over to provide 4 different configurations. You will want to install the tab that is Green on both sides. One side has just a 1 engraved on it for IR, while the other side has a 1 printed on it in black and UHF PRO engraved in it for IR/UHF PRO.

After you get the remote, you will need to be in front of the ViP 622. Then I think it is the System Info screen you need to go to, but you should be able to get there using the buttons on the inside panel or the TV1 IR remote. You will set the address, point the new remote at the ViP 622 and hit the Record button. This will change the screen from "TV1 IR Remote" to "TV1 IR/UHF PRO Remote" or something to that affect. Instructions at http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=10929&d=1155755694

Remember...
(1) TV2 uses UHF PRO commands and not UHF commands.
(2) TV1 normally uses IR, but can use IR and UHF PRO commands; not UHF commands.
(3) Some older Dish receivers use UHF commands instead of UHF PRO commands.
(4) Retailers may have a 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote with the Blue 2 tab for TV2; but then you will have to find a "Green 1 UHF PRO" tab. If you go this route and try to find the tabs on ebay, make sure the tab is for the 6.3, and is UHF PRO and not UHF (which I believe is normally a black tab).
(5) Also, I think other remotes may also work, like the one for the 800, but I don't know. You'll find results by others on the below links.
(6) The Green Tab on the 5.3 IR TV1 remote does NOT come off.

Here's a link with both the 6.2 and 6.3 kits, but I think I would go with the 6.3, because I know it works, and it would be a replacement for your current 2 remotes if ever needed.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=7758&d=1142022830
Go to top of page 3 for the 6.3 Kit and notice the 2 tabs for 4 choices.
Scrolling up and down, you'll see the 6.2 Kit with 4 tabs for 8 choices, but some of the choices are the same.
That document came from the 1st post on link http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59177
Here's another thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74129
On the first post, click on the attachment to find the instructions. Remember you may have to use a different remote address which will update when you hit record.

Last edited:
I believe the only difference between the 6.2 and 6.3 are the color of the buttons, but I can not swear to that.

If you call Dish Network, ask for Technical Support, and tell them you need a 6.3 IR/UHF PRO Remote Kit for the ViP 622 TV1, Part Number 144552. I believe it will cost about $39 plus shipping. They can add it to your account, or you can pay for it over the phone with a credit card. (I done this so that I can control TV1 from the master bedroom while the kids watch TV2 in the other bedrooms.)

This remote kit is not available from retailers. I guess they could buy it as a customer and then sell it, but it's not an item they can order and go pick up with their other dealer items.

This kit comes with a 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote just like the ViP 622 TV2 Remote, except for it has an extra tab. The remote has 2 tabs that can be flipped over to provide 4 different configurations. You will want to install the tab that is Green on both sides. One side has just a 1 engraved on it for IR, while the other side has a 1 printed on it in black and UHF PRO engraved in it for IR/UHF PRO.

After you get the remote, you will need to be in front of the ViP 622. Then I think it is the System Info screen you need to go to, but you should be able to get there using the buttons on the inside panel or the TV1 IR remote. You will set the address, point the new remote at the ViP 622 and hit the Record button. This will change the screen from "TV1 IR Remote" to "TV1 IR/UHF PRO Remote" or something to that affect. Instructions at http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=10929&d=1155755694

Remember...
(1) TV2 uses UHF PRO commands and not UHF commands.
(2) TV1 normally uses IR, but can use IR and UHF PRO commands; not UHF commands.
(3) Some older Dish receivers use UHF commands instead of UHF PRO commands.
(4) Retailers may have a 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote with the Blue 2 tab for TV2; but then you will have to find a "Green 1 UHF PRO" tab. If you go this route and try to find the tabs on ebay, make sure the tab is for the 6.3, and is UHF PRO and not UHF (which I believe is normally a black tab).
(5) Also, I think other remotes may also work, like the one for the 800, but I don't know. You'll find results by others on the below links.
(6) The Green Tab on the 5.3 IR TV1 remote does NOT come off.

Here's a link with both the 6.2 and 6.3 kits, but I think I would go with the 6.3, because I know it works, and it would be a replacement for your current 2 remotes if ever needed.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=7758&d=1142022830
Go to top of page 3 for the 6.3 Kit and notice the 2 tabs for 4 choices.
Scrolling up and down, you'll see the 6.2 Kit with 4 tabs for 8 choices, but some of the choices are the same.
That document came from the 1st post on link http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59177
Here's another thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74129
On the first post, click on the attachment to find the instructions. Remember you may have to use a different remote address which will update when you hit record.

Thanks for the well thought out answer. You got me exactly what I was looking for! I'll look to pick up a 6.3 remote then.:up

ahhh. So what I'll really be doing is switching my existing 6.3 to control my TV1. Then I'll setup the purchased 6.2 with the Green TV1UHF tab for TV2. Will the remotes generally come with the tabs?

No, put the green tab with the black 1 UHF Pro on it on the 6.3 remote & put the blue tab you took off the 6.3 & put it on a 6.0 or 6.2 remote to use with TV2. Green is always TV1 & Blue is TV2.

After my parents upgraded from a 942 to a 622 I modified the 6.2 remote from their old 942, without purchasing any keys. Oops, I just realized I forget to return the 6.2 to E* ;) Total cost to control TV1 on a 622 via IR and UHF PRO was $0.

The keys simply manipulate a 3 or 4 stage switch inside the remote. By removing the key and using a toothpick, or similar small pointy device, one can adjust the switch. Granted, you can't put the old key back in place but it sure beats spending $30-$50 and, other than aesthetics, the key's not really necessary anyway. I believe the correct switch position on a 6.2 is one click to the left from the right side. I'm going from memory on that though... the info is buried somewhere in the SatGuys or DBSTalk archives.

Edit: This modification does, however, make use of the AUX mode control on the original 622 remote.

Last edited:
Yes there are other options, if you have extra remotes from some earlier models, or can purchase one from E-Bay at a discount. The looks didn't matter to me too much, but with plenty of kids, non-English speaking relatives (they don't work for Dish:D), etc..., I decided it was cheaper to spend the few extra dollars than have a bunch of head aches.

Although I can't swear on the 6.2, the 6.3 is as you say on the slide switch.

Position 1 = TV2 UHF PRO (Selected with Blue Tab, Black 2)
Position 2 = TV1 IR (Selected with Green Tab, Engraved 1)
Position 3 = TV1 UHF PRO (Selected with Green Tab, Black 1, Engraved UHF PRO)
Position 4 = UHF (Selected with Black Tab, Engraved UHF)

If the OP would like to try the current TV2 remote to see if it would work on TV1, then....
Remove the battery cover;
Slide off the "Blue Tab", the white plastic slide switch is in the 1st position for TV2 UHF PRO;
Move the switch to the right to the 3rd position for TV1 UHF PRO;
Go to the System Info screen;
Hit Record;
Test your remote.

You may have to change address.

EDIT: I suspect on the 6.3 that Position 4 will also send an IR signal; similar to the AUX button which sends IR/UHF when programmed for a Dish receiver.

Last edited:
Yes there are other options...
:up Smity, your post is easily the best description of this modification that I've seen. As I recall, I had to piece together several posts and documentation materials to figure it out and finally get it working right. I enjoy playing with this stuff so I never mind but, can see how others might get frustrated by the "try different solutions until one works approach" :D

Thanks, but I also got info from a couple of others on the forum. Don't remember who right now, maybe Pepper, Stargazer, HDTVFanatic, somebody.... Then played a little, and then finally, figured out that you could only get the correct remote (6.3 Kit) from Tech Support.

Before that though, I even talked to Tech Support to see about doing it, and they said "yes you can, TV1 on all dual tuners can be controlled by UHF PRO remotes" but then they finally said it looks like the ViP 622 can not since they could not tell me how to do it.

Same as you, I like to play and see what happens :) -- when the family is not watching TV. :D

Bottom line: 3 Choices

A. Buy correct remote from Dish.
B. Take your chances on E-Bay with an earlier compatible model remote.
C. Modify what you have.

Take care.

Thanks everyboyd. I ended up purchasing a 6.3 off the web for $25 shipped including the keys. Hopefully I'll have it soon and i can validate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)