Rain Fade since 622 upgrade

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I have had Dish now for about a year and I used to think Rain fade was a myth almost as in the first year I had dish with my 522 and 322 I only lost reception three times. Since I upgraded to a 622 and got the new dish that goes with it I have lost reception 5 times in the last month during bad weather.

What gives here? Last year when a hurricane came threw and dumped about 6 inches of rain on me I lost reception for less than 5 minutes. Tonight I had a rain that dumped maybe a 1/2 of rain on me and I was without satelite for almost an hour.

What is your location and did they install a D1000 as the new dish?

Sounds like a poor installation, but a factor can be the D1000 as it works better in some locations than others.

Birmingham is within the 129 coverage zone, so the D1000 is the standard Dish solution. Although 129 may not be real strong. They may have tried to peak on 129 and ended up with substandard 110 and 119 readings.

You could go into your system installation menu and look at your signal strengths on all three satellites. I suspect that you may have a number of transponders with signals in the 60s and 70s, which is good enough to get a lock on a clear day but susceptable to frequent rain fade.

I live in Southern California where it rarely rains and have had a couple of rain fade episodes since the d1000 was installed on March 29th, and they were not due to severe storms. My old d500 setup went over 5 years with only one rain fade and that was due to a severe thunderstorm that developed directly over us. I think Dish took a large step backwards with the d1000.

In all honesty there's nothing wrong with the Dish 1000. You should get nearly the same signal strength as a D500 when a D1000 is aimed properly. It's the 129 bird that is weak.

My d1000 is used for the 110/119 sats and I have a dedicated d500 for 129.

Before the "upgrade" my d500 used to get over 100 for both the 110 and 119 sats. Now the d1000 gets high 90's for 119 and mid 80's for the 110. The d500 gets high 60's to low 70's for the 129 depending on the TP measured - and that is on a good day. I just checked the signal strength this morning and it is in the high 50's to mid 60's, so it looks like things are getting worse instead of better.

I tried this and it works real good.

I live in Ft. Myers and used to get rainfade like clockwork during the thunderstorm season. Last summer I put up this thing I found on the web, and it really helps. I bet I didn't lose my signal once since last summer. Anyway, I looked up the reciept and the site: www.fadeaway.tv.

My only question is why everyone doesn't know about these and why aren't they in all the satellite stores, cause I never heard of them, or have seen them around? Anyway, if you are having problems you might want to try this, cause it worked for me!

Sounded to me a poor install situation. We had rainy/stormy weather for about week no-stop at northeast now (seems won't end for another week). I never had signal loose issue.

smartspy said:
I live in Ft. Myers and used to get rainfade like clockwork during the thunderstorm season. Last summer I put up this thing I found on the web, and it really helps. I bet I didn't lose my signal once since last summer. Anyway, I looked up the reciept and the site: www.fadeaway.tv.

My only question is why everyone doesn't know about these and why aren't they in all the satellite stores, cause I never heard of them, or have seen them around? Anyway, if you are having problems you might want to try this, cause it worked for me!

Is it really the rain ON the dish that causes the problems or the rain in the atmosphere? This product would seem to help the former, but certainly not the latter.

I wonder how that would work with my ota antenna ; the terk 44 clip on ota antenna? If it interfered with my ota signal it wouldn't be worth it to me.

If you lose signal because there is a lot of water running down the surface of your dish, blocking the reflection of the signal to the LNB, then this thing could help.

But most rain fade is due to the amount of water between your dish and the satellite, where this product would make no difference. I've lost signals many times when it wasn't even raining on my house, but a thunderhead was in the line of sight between my dish and the satellites.

So it might help a little bit.

AlaJoe said:
I have had Dish now for about a year and I used to think Rain fade was a myth almost as in the first year I had dish with my 522 and 322 I only lost reception three times. Since I upgraded to a 622 and got the new dish that goes with it I have lost reception 5 times in the last month during bad weather.

What gives here? Last year when a hurricane came threw and dumped about 6 inches of rain on me I lost reception for less than 5 minutes. Tonight I had a rain that dumped maybe a 1/2 of rain on me and I was without satelite for almost an hour.

I installed my dish several years ago. Worked great.

After a few years the branches grew and started blocking my signal. Almost lost it over the weekend. Didn't think that was the problem.

So I climbed up on the mini van (just last Saturday) in the middle while it was raining and trimmed the branches. I went from a 40% signal strength to *almost* 100%. Best signal I've EVER had now.

MikeD-C05 said:
Well if it amplifies the signal and give you the equivalent of a bigger dish then it sounds like a cure for the 129 problem.

Some of the statements on the vendor's web site imply that it does amplify or increase the signal. There is no way that such an attachment could do this. It isn't oriented to capture more signal. Nor is it oriented to reflect more signal to the LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts