Rats !!! near Fenway Park

More than 100 rats and 50 burrows found near Fenway properties - Metro Desk - Local news updates from The Boston Globe

Back in 1975 you could find them inside Fenway Park.

I hate to say this but some parts of Boston have some serious Rat problems. . According to some post online you will find them all over the city including near Beacon Hill. I believe it.

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was gonna be about John Tomase (Herald sportswriter)

Yeah, the comments are great too. ObamaVoter's comment has been removed, Wilson-the-ball's comment has been removed, and JohnnyKnoxville? They're from Boston? Crazy.

The Boston rats look small. I heard the NY Rats are huge.

Back in the mid 70s I hada close encounter with a rat while on my way from Kenmore Square to whelock College. I was realy in ni danger but it startled the hell out of me and I remember it to this day.

A Fenway Park rat was a central figure in the story of the television camera coverage of Carlton Fisk's World Series home run. ESPN ran a feature on it. The cameraman who captured Fisk's reaction was supposed to have been covering something else, but he had to move away from is camera because a rat had crawled into his portal, and by the time the rat left and he could regain control of his camera, the director had reassigned his duty on that play to another camera position and so he instead followed the batter, which resulted in baseball's most famous "reaction shot".

The rat that changed TV: Behind the scenes during Carlton Fisk’s iconic homer

Published Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm EDT

By Matt Crossman Sporting News

It is the walkoff home run of live action sports shots. Carlton Fisk is waving the ball fair. He’s perfectly in focus, perfectly framed slightly to the right as he drifts left toward first base. As the ball hits the fair pole, he jumps, Fred Lynn in the on-deck circle behind him jumps, and the dozens of fans in the shot behind him jump.
It is one of the most famous and enduring images in American sports history. More important than that, it forever changed the way television covers baseball.

And it almost never happened.

The story behind it is one of the great—and little-known—tales in Fenway Park’s 100-year history.

In 1975, cameramen did not follow players’ reactions. They followed the ball. Reaction shots like that one, so ubiquitous today, were largely unheard of. Then Fisk, the Red Sox catcher, stepped to the plate in the 12th inning of Game 6 of the World Series. NBC cameraman Lou Gerard, stationed in the Fenway scoreboard and assigned to track the ball wherever Fisk hit it, had a problem.

A big, hairy, ugly, nasty problem.

“There were some rats running around,” he says. “With Fisk coming up, Harry Coyle, who was the director at the time, he told me, ‘Lou, you have to follow the ball if he hits it.’ I said, ‘Harry, I can’t, I’ve got a rat on my leg that’s as big as a cat. It’s staring me in the face. I’m blocked by a piece of metal on my right.’ So he said, ‘What are we going to do?’ I said, ‘How about if we stay with Fisk, see what happens?’ ”

More...

I've been to Fenway Park twice. Certified dump. Everything that isn't in the view of a camara is filfth covered. The place is in an awful warehouse kind of area. Seats are narrow and (I'm well under 6 ft) set so close in rows that you cannot sit confortabably. Food service is mostly carts, like at a carnival. Bathrooms, for men, consist of aiming at drain in the floor. Certainly the worst ballpark I can think of, your local HS field is better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)