Rave weak sound quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SteveinDanville

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Watched Rave for the first time on my brand new 622 last night (Dave Mathews Band from Central Park). Pretty good video, but disappointing audio. I use the optical digital link to my Yamaha 5.1 receiver, going to Infinite fronts and center and BA rears, with a wonderful Infinite 150W 10" sub. The problem was literally no bass feed to the speakers and sub. You could not hear a bass guitar track at all, and barely hear the kick bass from the drum kit. The sad part was that when the camera would focus on the bass player, it looked like he was tearing it up, but you couldn't hear anything he was playing! I turned up the sub, and it was actually coming through the walls and floor all the way back in the bedroom when I checked up on my wife. Obviously, this was too much feed, but even still, no bass line coming from the electric bass player. I turned the sub back down to a normal level. Not exactly a Digital 5.1 experience (and my receiver verified on the front panel that it was receiving and processing a 5.1 signal). Anybody else experience a washed out, less than full audio experience with Rave? I recorded Peter Gabriel's concert the other night in 5.1, so I'll see if it was just the Dave Mathews mix and report back......

Under Dolby Digital do you have Dolby Digital/PCM selected. Record Sunday 8:00 am The Best 25 Years of Pop in HDNet. Excellent audio.

Obviously, the sound quality depends on the source. I don't remember how good (or bad) was Dave Mathew's concert. An excellent one I remember is the Phil Collins Finally Tour.

I thought The Dave Matthews Band concert on Rave sounded great! The bass from my $99 RCA 10" sub was really good. Another concert you might want to look for is the Alison Krauss show, very clear deep bass. Is your audio system new or have you had it for awhile? Just trying to figure out if maybe your speakers need to be calibrated or the speaker size setting may be incorrect.

Spinerep said:
I thought The Dave Matthews Band concert on Rave sounded great! The bass from my $99 RCA 10" sub was really good. Another concert you might want to look for is the Alison Krauss show, very clear deep bass. Is your audio system new or have you had it for awhile? Just trying to figure out if maybe your speakers need to be calibrated or the speaker size setting may be incorrect.
I've had the system for about 4 years, and I've had terrific sound out of my old 942 and 721. Since I've only had the 622 for less than a week, that and Voom are the changed elements, not the audio system.

SteveinDanville said:
I've had the system for about 4 years, and I've had terrific sound out of my old 942 and 721. Since I've only had the 622 for less than a week, that and Voom are the changed elements, not the audio system.

Grab "25 years" . I just played back both copys on the 942 and the 622. True to Mark Cuban standards... This one will put your sound system to the test. If you have all speakers set to large and the SW is set up right the bass will be heard two blocks away when cranked!

Here is another test... Record Seal on RAVE tomorrow. Shows up 2:00pm EST here. Then record "25 years" .

Compare the RAVE version of Seal with the "25 Years" version of Seal... You won't believe the difference.

gdarwin said:
Here is another test... Record Seal on RAVE tomorrow. Shows up 2:00pm EST here. Then record "25 years" .

Compare the RAVE version of Seal with the "25 Years" version of Seal... You won't believe the difference.
Is what I'm hearing that the HDNet (Mark Cuban) version of concerts/audio is vastly superior to the Rave version? If so, that's what I was thinking from the beginning. What I was wondering is if all these people are calling the Voom channels "HD lite", does this also imply that the audio is less than top-notch?

The audio shouldn't be affected by the down-rezzing (although it is possible ... but skimping on audio bits is silly, given the total bandwidth consumed by a HD broadcast). It is a matter of how well the audio was recorded during the performance. Just like when you go to a live concert, sometimes the audio is lousy.

Much of what is on Rave is from the PBS Soundstage series. Some of these have had very good audio.

gdarwin said:
Under Dolby Digital do you have Dolby Digital/PCM selected. Record Sunday 8:00 am The Best 25 Years of Pop in HDNet. Excellent audio.
This is on my 921 and under lock... excellent Bass thru sub and shakers... I also have Martina Mcbride from Rave ( not as good of sound, But the Parts of Farm Aid '03 I have on the 921 sound pretty good( Brooks and Dunn, Trick Pony and Sheryl Crow)...

Last edited:
I don't have problem either with the bass. I have 622 and Mirage sub and really really good bass on RAVE. Just to make sure why don't you try chaning sub crossover. I had it on 80 I belive.

As promised, I watched my recording of Peter Gabriel and the overall sound was great. So, I feel it was the mix on the Dave Mathews concert. Sorry about all the fuss, everybody.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)