Rca HDV5000 First Impressions

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Well, I broke down and bought the RCA HD-DVD player. Not cheap, but it was actually in stock, and took it home the same day. :)

So far so good. I only have one HD-DVD (U-571). The Universal HD-DVD trailer at the beginning of the disc was amazing! I've never seen the universal logo look so good. Much better than the same universal logo in the movie itself. U-571 looks really nice too.

I also tried Terminator 2 (SD). Looked nice as well. I'm not sure I can tell too much difference between it and my old LiteOn 5005 progressive scan DVD recorder. But setting the RCA to 480p, the 1080i image is much sharper.

The remote control for this unit is actually ok. I used the JP1 codes for the Toshiba HD-A1 and they work as well. Strange the remote comes with 8-way direction buttons. Never seen that before.

Pretty cool tray on the RCA unit. It has a large door in front that opens, and the tray slides out. I'm used to the typical PC DVD drives with no door and the tray just slides out.

Updated the RCA to the latest firmware (1.4 -- came with 1.0). Took 90 minutes over a wireless network, but was fine when it was done.

Pretty cool how you can view the menu while the movie is playing. I can see some pretty cool extras using a feature like that. (Like pop-up video used to do).

Also the RCA unit has the serial connector that is on the higher model Toshiba HD-XA1. Not useful for me, tho.

I think I will be joining Netflix to rent some HD-DVD since my local Blockbuster store doesn't carry them.

-John

I paid $498 @ Walmart. I'll get some pictures out later. Basically, its the same as the HD-A1, except for the remote.

-John

PS> The upconversion on this unit is nice! Watched Uncle Buck last night, and it really looked good! Today I watched POTC, and it still looked like crap. Probably just overcompressed that DVD to squeeze all those extra features in there.

jgantert said:
The upconversion on this unit is nice! Watched Uncle Buck last night, and it really looked good! Today I watched POTC, and it still looked like crap. Probably just overcompressed that DVD to squeeze all those extra features in there.

Just curious - when you updated the firmware, does the start-up screen now say "Toshiba HD DVD" instead of RCA?

The upconversion is amazing. I was using a Denon 1910 upconverting DVD player; the upconverting of my XA1 is much, much better. But of course it does depend on the source. Last night I watched the Superbit version of "Legends of the Fall" and it was terriffic - better than some of the "HD" material on TNT HD or HD Movie Net.

But then I play an HD DVD like Chronicles of Riddick and I relate to the new advertising campaign - The Look & Sound of Perfect. ;)

CochiseGuy said:
Just curious - when you updated the firmware, does the start-up screen now say "Toshiba HD DVD" instead of RCA?
I think it still says RCA. I'll double check tonight, tho.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)