RDS "skip"

KD8OND

Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Ionia, MI
I emailed Scott Beeman (NE8E) with this on Friday morning when I noticed it and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this occur before: My wife listens to WCSG FM out of Grand Rapids, and when I moved her car Friday morning the RDS was displaying information from "WGTE Public Radio" which I googled it and WGTE is out of Toledo, OH. Scott thought that maybe WCSG possibly borrowed equipment, but emails to the station were not replied to. (understandably after hearing the news regarding that station the same day). Is it possible for RDS to skip like that and "piggyback" with another station's audio?

Ah, but RDS Can, indeed skip. It's an injected signal TO the transmission system at the transmitter, thus part of the wave being sent out. I've seen it skip, and it's kind of fun. Scott, our engineer did have a viable explanation, since all the RDS equipment we've installed for WION and WGLM came with old info in it! With the weather as unstable as we've had lately, I'd not put "skip" out of the realm of possibility...but both ideas are plausible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)