Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
We almost bought one, but the builder admitted that they were no more energy efficient than regular homes.
Be picky about the type of logs. Most require resealing every year or 2. I think there is one that does not ever require resealing.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I would LOVE to own one of those big spacious log homes with the big view going up to the ceiling but they tend to cost more in material than a regular home therefore a bit more expensive than what a standard house would cost to build. One can build a standard house out of rought lumber and save a LOT of money. Now if one can get the logs cheap enough then that is another story. You would have to spray them down every year or two to protect the wood and keep the bugs out though. Are log homes hard to assemble? Any harder than an average standard home is? Having 400 acres I would think that I have the timber that I need to build one but wouldn't the logs bring more money selling them than what they would be worth using it in a log home in that you could buy the logs for cheaper than what you could get out of them?

cdru

Just another yahoo
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Stargazer said:
Are log homes hard to assemble? Any harder than an average standard home is?
I don't know about "harder", but they require different techniques then a stick built home. If your builder doesn't know what they are doing, then they will have problem.

The biggest thing is that the logs settle over time. Because of this, everything on the inside essentially needs to be flexable and adjustable. For instance, you wouldn't just secure your kitchen cabinets to the wall directly. You'd first attach a board to the logs with a channel sawed out, then loosly secured. This allows the logs to settle down over the first couple of years.

Having 400 acres I would think that I have the timber that I need to build one but wouldn't the logs bring more money selling them than what they would be worth using it in a log home in that you could buy the logs for cheaper than what you could get out of them?
Depends on the type of trees and size. Some lumber companies won't take trees on private land for fear of nails or other metal contaminants. Now it's probably different with 400 acres then my 1/4 acre lot, but there is a possibility.

While I've never built a log home, I've seen a variety of them built on This Old House type of programs. I don't recall ever seeing one where the logs were harvested on and everything was done on site. I think it's fairly universal to order a "kit" from a home manufacturer that has essentially built your house off site already.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
I remember finding a website once for a company that specializes in building them. I think you would be better off with an specialty contractor. Hire just any home builder and you may be faced with an onslaught of unexpected change orders during construction or left with an incomplete job because someone bit off more than they could chew or simply lost too much money on deal and abandoned the job. I think they are really beautiful homes but I would suspect that they are a headache to maintain.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
There are log home builders all over the U.S., so I'm sure there is a qualiy builder in your area. The logs have to be cured , so you just can't cut the trees down, strip and build. Google log homes or go buy Log Home Living Magazine. It has many ads for builders all over the country. Also, there is a kit maker, I think they are called Amerlink. www.amerlink.com As SimpleSimon said. Some people think the upkeep is a hassle, but its been a dream of ours to build one in Colorado. SimpleSimon, hook me up with some land man, cheap!!LOL--Ray

Last edited:

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I think log homes are kinda like those super-models. You see them and they conjure up fantasies. They look nice, better than nice. You can instantly transport yourself into the situation of spending your time in ;) them. Ah, yes. That super model or log home would make my life complete.

So you then go for it. You land for yourself a beautiful specimen of your desire. Then reality sets in. "I didn't realize all the baggage that comes with this fantasy" She snores and makes other noises in the evening. She's always demanding attention and another piece of 'maintenance'. You never realized all the work living with a dream would be. After a year, you reflect and realize how well those brochures worked in setting a mood and then sold based upon that illusion.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have a friend that bought a small one and the only thing he has had to do is spray the house every year or two. It is low maintenance.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
Is your super-model comparison based on experience or speculation? I would like to know the problems associated with them.

gpflepsen said:
I think log homes are kinda like those super-models. You see them and they conjure up fantasies. They look nice, better than nice. You can instantly transport yourself into the situation of spending your time in ;) them. Ah, yes. That super model or log home would make my life complete.

So you then go for it. You land for yourself a beautiful specimen of your desire. Then reality sets in. "I didn't realize all the baggage that comes with this fantasy" She snores and makes other noises in the evening. She's always demanding attention and another piece of 'maintenance'. You never realized all the work living with a dream would be. After a year, you reflect and realize how well those brochures worked in setting a mood and then sold based upon that illusion.

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I was talking mostly tongue-in-cheek.

The factory homes are not that bad. They are engineered to deal with the different accommodations that log homes need. They are far from maintenance free. The fight against decay and insect infestation is a constant one. As has been said, regular applications of sealers and insecticide will deal with this. Modern sealers used for chinking are far superior to those used in the past. Modern factory homes are built up with machined and gasketed logs. Even if the chinking fails they will remain somewhat sealed up to air exchange.

I have helped harvest trees and build one log home in the past, the old fashioned way. Lay a log up and scribe it. Cut and cope the log to nestle down on the lower one. Repeat as needed. It is a hell of a lot of work. Take the work and multiply that by a good factor of difficulty (2-3) :) when working above the ground 10-12 feet. When it's time for the ridge pole and other roofing members, better have a crane of some sorts.

Log homes can be beautiful and full of character. They can also be a pain in the butt. Just be knowledgeable of the demands for upkeep and living in one.

I would not consider building one myself. I'd have a custom company build it themselves. They have the equipment and experience to do it quicker and cheaper than anyone else.

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
My parents built a Pan Abode cedar log home in Yakima and I helped put it together. It was sturdy as a tank and a beautiful home when finished.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I've been an avid reader of several of the log home periodicals as well as zines that deal with back woods living and enviromentaly responsible living. Most of the log home specific pubs are very very useful in providing good information both on manufacturers as well as products and companies that specialize in homes from design to set up.

The pubs that are geared towards back woods living though lower in circulation tend to have good articles written by readers and many live in log homes, the same goes for mother earth news wich is a favorite of mine. One of my favorite stories that has made the rounds of many of the industry pubs was about a 30 something waitress in oregon who bought some land and started building her log home from dead fall she purchased from the federal parks land. She was lucky enough to have help from a local mountain of a man ( theres a pic of this guy carrying a 6 foot long section of tree trunk as thick as a beach ball on one shoulder ). She had the home nearly done for $30,000 when it caught fire from a simple mistake of leaving a lynseed oil saturated rag out in the home and it caught fire. She ended up rebuilding the home even after the loss of it burning to the ground and the mistake she made.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
That linseed oil is deadly stuff. Wouldn't much matter what kind of home it was. It's started more garage fires than probably any other solvent.

Van said:
I've been an avid reader of several of the log home periodicals as well as zines that deal with back woods living and enviromentaly responsible living. Most of the log home specific pubs are very very useful in providing good information both on manufacturers as well as products and companies that specialize in homes from design to set up.

The pubs that are geared towards back woods living though lower in circulation tend to have good articles written by readers and many live in log homes, the same goes for mother earth news wich is a favorite of mine. One of my favorite stories that has made the rounds of many of the industry pubs was about a 30 something waitress in oregon who bought some land and started building her log home from dead fall she purchased from the federal parks land. She was lucky enough to have help from a local mountain of a man ( theres a pic of this guy carrying a 6 foot long section of tree trunk as thick as a beach ball on one shoulder ). She had the home nearly done for $30,000 when it caught fire from a simple mistake of leaving a lynseed oil saturated rag out in the home and it caught fire. She ended up rebuilding the home even after the loss of it burning to the ground and the mistake she made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)