Ready for new equipment... but can decide... :(

hdmi_guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
I currently have a 622 with broken hdmi, and a 612. I really want to upgrade but I can't decide what I want to do...

First off I would like to add an addition two tv's to my home at some point in the future. I currently have the 622 in the main room setup in dual tuner mode, and the 612 in a bedroom also in dual tuner mode.

I am torn between...

1) Buying a 922 outright for the main room and either adding or using the old 622 to supply the two new rooms later on.

2) Ditching it all and going to a Hopper Hopper, Joey Joey. Hopper in main room, Hopper in Master BR or man room, and a Joey in other two rooms

Thanks guys.. :)

You may want to consider upgrading to the Hopper system if you're going to have more HDTVs. If not that then just put in 722k receivers since those are the next best thing. Your 612 has no such thing as dual tuner mode, it's only a single receiver but has a second tuner for recording.

If you would like for us to look into your options for upgrading your equipment using a leased receiver upgrade option please feel free to send us a PM with your account number or phone number on the account and the 4 digit PIN.

The 922 is a dead horse. DOA. Go with the Hopper with Sling (HWS). You can attach 2 ehd's to a Hopper. Gives you 3 sat tuners and an additional ota tuner if you buy the module. Add a super Joey and that gives you 2 more sat tuners. I have HWS's and 3 joeys. From any of them I can see either Hoperr and watch tv. The only thing I can't do is access the other HWS's ehd. I can access either HWS with Dish Anywhere while traveling.
You'll never regret it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I totally forgot about Super Joeys!

Maybe one hopper and 3 Super Joeys would fit the bill... Or 2 supers and on regular? One will be in my childs room, she doesn't really need dvd capability per say..

Not a lot, but, the Super Joey allows you to see all five tuners on the Hopper transparently. Two Hoppers can see each other but you can't set a recording from one Hopper to the other... You can watch recordings over both but you have to set the recordings individually...

Oh, so what is the benefit of having a SJ over a second Hopper?

The Super Joey adds 2 more tuners to the Hopper. It is fully integrated and it cost $2 cheaper per month. The second Hopper adds a lot more more but it's not fully integrated and it cost $12 a month.

Awesome. Sounds like what I'll do.

Upgrade the 622 to a hopper, the 612 to a SJ, and later put a Joey in man room and Childs room.

The other benefit to having a 2nd Hopper besides the obvious extra tuner, and double the storage space, is the fact that if one Hopper dies, you can still watch and record TV. That alone might be worth the extra $2/month.

Reactions: navychop and Tampa8
Another plus for the Hopper is that the remote can store your timers and other settings. When I went from the original Hopper to the HWS,the tech was able to transfer all my settings to the new HWS. Including all scanned ota settings.

Would the picture quality of the Hopper/Super Joey/Joey be as good or better as my 612 and 622? AND Would a Hopper/Hopper or Hopper Super Joey give my about the same DVRing capability as using a 622 and 612? obviously the Hopper system would be able to "share".

My main concern is my wife is a sports junky and I am a auto racing junky. It is not uncommon for there to be 2, 4+ hour recordings going on simultaneously. Currently when that happened we setup conflicting events on the second DVR.

Do the math...with a Super Joey, you have 5 tuners. You currently have 4.
PQ is a tad better due to newer chip sets.

I just traded my hopper 2000 in to dishdepot.com for credit for a hopper with sling. Paid only $149.00 and NO tax. The first thing I noticed was the picture quality of my tv looked much sharper. Newer chip sets always seem to improve it at first. My wife even said the next morning that the pq had improved from the day before. She didn't know I had set it up the night before while she slept. I've seen this difference everytime I upgraded to the newest receiver from DISH.

The other thing I noticed is that the menus and guide seem to move faster. I loved the fact I could just add my older remote control ,with all my timers and ota channel information and various saved guide options , and hit restore and loaded it all to the new hopper. The only thing I had to do was go back in to my timers and set up my folder options again. For some reason this doesn't transfer over. The external hard drive took till the next day so my shows would transfer back to the new hopper. DISH has really made it much easier to set up the new receiver and get all your favorites and personalizations to transfer over without any problems.

Reactions: ChadT41
Note that the 622/612 combination has 4 sat tuners and 2 OTA tuners. The Hopper/SJ combination has 5 sat tuners and zero OTA tuners. Getting two Hoppers allows you to get two OTA dongles. Just mentioning this in case you need OTA tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)