Really need help

mlyles

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
SC
I hope you guys can give me some answers. Because of MLB EI, I switched from E* to D* yesterday. I still have a year left on my E* agreement. When I called to cancel E*, the lady (Linda) told me about the cancellation fee ($159.96, for the 12 months left on the agreement). That I expected. What she said next blew my mind because I have never heard, read, or seen anything about this. She told me because I signed up through a local retailer, I would also owe him a cancellation fee. So I called the local retailer. He asked what receivers I had (625 and 322). He then said I would owe him around $800 if I cancelled now. So I'm thinking about downgrading to Dish Family and taking the 625 and locals off the account. My bill should then be about $20.00/month until I can cancel. Is this what I should do? Any more ideas would be appreciated.

He then said I would owe him around $800 if I cancelled now.

Thats why dealers should not have a seperate contract and why you should always read the fine print before signing the paper work. If you have the paperwork still from the install read through it carefully to find where it says they can charge you $800, this is probably the cost of the equipment, if its not on any of the paper work then go to their shop and ask them to show you where you signed any paperwork to that effect, if they do infact have something with your sig on it then your basicly screwed and cant get out of it and will have to wait a year and eat the cost of $24 a month plus tax.

Retailers get paid for "signing up" customers under particular programming and equipment by E* when a customer signs up with them. This "payment" is taken back when the customer cancels within a certain period of time. In turn, the retailer has their payments yanked back by DISH. The charge, is the cost of the payments plus the retailer feeling you wasted their time and money. Retailers do this to protect their businesses and cover costs of customers that quit early.

Remember, when you sign up unless you buy everything outright, you get a discount in equipment and programming on the understanding you'll be around long enough to make up the costs back to them. Don't do that, and they'll take it out in pounds of flesh.

I hope you guys can give me some answers. Because of MLB EI, I switched from E* to D* yesterday. I still have a year left on my E* agreement. When I called to cancel E*, the lady (Linda) told me about the cancellation fee ($159.96, for the 12 months left on the agreement). That I expected. What she said next blew my mind because I have never heard, read, or seen anything about this. She told me because I signed up through a local retailer, I would also owe him a cancellation fee. So I called the local retailer. He asked what receivers I had (625 and 322). He then said I would owe him around $800 if I cancelled now. So I'm thinking about downgrading to Dish Family and taking the 625 and locals off the account. My bill should then be about $20.00/month until I can cancel. Is this what I should do? Any more ideas would be appreciated.
did you sign a cancellation agreement with the retailer?..If not, you owe the retailer nothing..Additionally I see no reason why the Dish csr metioned this to you at all. It really is none of that CSR's concern...
Background...I work for a reatiler and we have a form for the customer to sign thta binds them to an 18 month commitment to our company..The customer is informed before the deal is closed and we go out to do the install..If the customer does not agree, they must pay for the EQ up front...We do this to protect ourselves from the Dish cancellation back charge....

Is Calling "Charge Backs" and the retailer have the right to doing so since you breach the contract,Echostar will charge back the retailer comission and the retailer will recover that money from you.

did you sign a cancellation agreement with the retailer?..
Unlikely you will get a New service without a early cancellation fee these days,But like you exposed the alternative to pay upfront the equipment void any further upstanding balance to the Retailer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)