Received recommendationi

kgm32

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
mi
Receiver recommendation

Thinking of switching to Dish because I want the Redzone channel but not the NFL ticket and a few other issues. I have 5 TVs 4 of which have DVR's (a couple of them old tivo's that one of the two tuners broke so they are now single tuner DVD's). 2 of the 5 are HD TVs. I want to maintain the current number of TVs with DVR capabilities so does this configuration make sense?

1) DouDVR 625 shared between 2 of the SD TV's
1) DuoDVR VIP 722k between one of the HDTV's and the 3rd SDTV
1) SoloDVR VIP 612 for the main TV

or is another setup recommended. The Dish rep insisted I could only get - 2 722's and 1 512...even when I explained I wanted a 2 tuner box on the main TV (I.e. 612)

thanks for any input

Last edited:
Thinking of switching to Dish because I want the Redzone channel but not the NFL ticket and a few other issues. I have 5 TVs 4 of which have DVR's (a couple of them old tivo's that one of the two tuners broke so they are now single tuner DVD's). 2 of the 5 are HD TVs. I want to maintain the current number of TVs with DVR capabilities so does this configuration make sense?

1) DouDVR 625 shared between 2 of the SD TV's
1) DuoDVR VIP 722k between one of the HDTV's and the 3rd SDTV
1) SoloDVR VIP 612 for the main TV

or is another setup recommended. The Dish rep insisted I could only get - 2 722's and 1 512...even when I explained I wanted a 2 tuner box on the main TV (I.e. 612)

thanks for any input

Hi and :welcome to Sat Guys! This is a hard question to answer as it is mainly determined by what you want in your home and what you are willing to pay. The way you have it will work and you will only pay a $99.00 upgrade fee for the 612 and the 625 & 722 would be included with installation. You will be paying $27.00 in monthly receiver fees + the $6.00 monthly DVR fee. This would give you DVR on all 5 TV's and 2 HD. Is there something else you are wanting to achieve with your installation?

Hi and :welcome to Sat Guys! This is a hard question to answer as it is mainly determined by what you want in your home and what you are willing to pay. The way you have it will work and you will only pay a $99.00 upgrade fee for the 612 and the 625 & 722 would be included with installation. You will be paying $27.00 in monthly receiver fees + the $6.00 monthly DVR fee. This would give you DVR on all 5 TV's and 2 HD. Is there something else you are wanting to achieve with your installation?
Did you forget the $10 for the 612?

in this case ... I wonder if they would allow him to spec the 722k, 612, and that he'd buy the 625 and they'd install it.. the 625 is only 65 bucks at DishStore.net (top of the satguys website, partner) Thus the "99 dollar" upgrade fee would be less by 30 bucks.. :)

Could he go with a 722 and then get 3 211's ? That would run 5 T.V.'s with DVR on all. That would also future proof him in case of buying more HDTV's. Of course you would have to buy 3 external hard drives, but I think the monthly receiver fee's would only be $21. With the holidays coming, you should be able to find some pretty good deals on EHD's. Also have to pay a one time fee of $30 or $40 to turn the 211's into DVR's, but in the long run, you might be better off.

rapidturtle said:
Could he go with a 722 and then get 3 211's ? That would run 5 T.V.'s with DVR on all. That would also future proof him in case of buying more HDTV's. Of course you would have to buy 3 external hard drives, but I think the monthly receiver fee's would only be $21. With the holidays coming, you should be able to find some pretty good deals on EHD's. Also have to pay a one time fee of $30 or $40 to turn the 211's into DVR's, but in the long run, you might be better off.

He would still need to buy at least one 211. Dish will only lease 3 receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the information, I am pretty much trying to at a minimum duplicate (or improve on) what I have now which looks like this:
Main HDTV - DTV HR23 (two tuner HD DVR record/watch 2 shows at once)
Second HDTV - DTV R10 (two tuner SD DVR record/watch 2 shows at once)
SDTV 1 and 2 - Each have a HDVR2 SD DVR (each a single tuner as second no longer functions so you can watch or record 1 show only)
SDTV 3 single tuner non DVR box (RCA)

My thought is

The 612 is basically a replacement of the HR23 and provides the same functionality to that TV.
The 625 being a shared DVR gives the same functionality as the 2 single tuner HDVR2s (with the ability to record a second show while one of the SDTVs is not in use, which is rarely as my kids leave them on 24/7....LOL).
The change is the 722 replacing the R10 and and SD non DVR (as SDTV3 is in the basement and only used a couple hours a day while working out, in effect this gives the 2nd HDTV the ability to record/watch 2 shows at once, except in small time each day it is being used by the basement TV). However the 722 also is an upgrade to HD for the 2nd HDTV while it reduces the number of boxes (and box fees) in the house by 1 correct?
I do have several questions
1) on the 722 if you are watching a HD show and and recording a second show is it in HD as well (assuming its a HD channel)?
2) I have read some bad reviews on the 612, would/can a second 722 be used by the Main HDTV instead of the 612?
3) How would the 922 fit into all of this?
4) As the rep on the DishNetwork Web Site told me that I cannot configure anything other than 2 722's and 1 512 how do I order this in the exact equipment I want?
If I am missing anything or there is functionality that can be gain I am open to it just not aware of what it would be. As for box cost, I do not mind paying an box upgrade fee if it gets me the functionality I want. As stated the $99 is the same the Dtv would charge me to add HD to the second TV if I stayed with them so that is no bid issue.

I would not get a 625, get another 722 instead. The monthly fee is the same for a 722 and a 625.
If you ever replace one of your SD TVs you won't have to replace your receiver. Get a 211 and a
hard drive or a 612 for your third receiver.

Mark

Thanks for the information, I am pretty much trying to at a minimum duplicate (or improve on) what I have now which looks like this:
Main HDTV - DTV HR23 (two tuner HD DVR record/watch 2 shows at once)
Second HDTV - DTV R10 (two tuner SD DVR record/watch 2 shows at once)
SDTV 1 and 2 - Each have a HDVR2 SD DVR (each a single tuner as second no longer functions so you can watch or record 1 show only)
SDTV 3 single tuner non DVR box (RCA)

My thought is

The 612 is basically a replacement of the HR23 and provides the same functionality to that TV.
The 625 being a shared DVR gives the same functionality as the 2 single tuner HDVR2s (with the ability to record a second show while one of the SDTVs is not in use, which is rarely as my kids leave them on 24/7....LOL).
The change is the 722 replacing the R10 and and SD non DVR (as SDTV3 is in the basement and only used a couple hours a day while working out, in effect this gives the 2nd HDTV the ability to record/watch 2 shows at once, except in small time each day it is being used by the basement TV). However the 722 also is an upgrade to HD for the 2nd HDTV while it reduces the number of boxes (and box fees) in the house by 1 correct?
I do have several questions
1) on the 722 if you are watching a HD show and and recording a second show is it in HD as well (assuming its a HD channel)?
2) I have read some bad reviews on the 612, would/can a second 722 be used by the Main HDTV instead of the 612?
3) How would the 922 fit into all of this?
4) As the rep on the DishNetwork Web Site told me that I cannot configure anything other than 2 722's and 1 512 how do I order this in the exact equipment I want?
If I am missing anything or there is functionality that can be gain I am open to it just not aware of what it would be. As for box cost, I do not mind paying an box upgrade fee if it gets me the functionality I want. As stated the $99 is the same the Dtv would charge me to add HD to the second TV if I stayed with them so that is no bid issue.

1. Yes the 2nd show would still be HD on a HD channel.
2. You can get a 722 for the main HDTV instead of a 612. The con is that your receiver fees would increase by an additional $7 (total would be $34/month compared to just $27/month)
3. The 922 is like a 722 just with cooler HD graphics and a higher DVR fee (It would be $10/month compared to just the standard $6/month) I honestly wouldn't waste the time and money for a 922.
4. PM a Dish member here on the fourm. The member name is highlighted in red. He or she can help you out a lot better than other Dish reps on the phone or on the Dish website.

Hope that info helps.:)

You're going to pay a $99 fee to get a second 722k where as the 625 is no additional cost upfront. I would do a 722k, 625 and a 211k with external hard drive. Would be cheaper upfront, cheaper per month, get HD to his two TVs and allow him to have DVR on all five TVs.

Rather than duplicating an existing system, it should come down to how many different live programs you may watch at once. If no more than two TVs are going to be on at any time, you don't need as much hardware as if all five are on. RF remotes are much cheaper than receivers and don't have a monthly charge.

OTA tuners, if applicable in your area, can also render fewer DVRs just as effective as many.

Rather than duplicating an existing system, it should come down to how many different live programs you may watch at once. If no more than two TVs are going to be on at any time, you don't need as much hardware as if all five are on. RF remotes are much cheaper than receivers and don't have a monthly charge.

OTA tuners, if applicable in your area, can also render fewer DVRs just as effective as many.

Thanks, I am not just trying to duplicate what I have, it is not uncommon for 4 TVs to be going at once and at a minimum I need the ability to do so if only occassionally. It is also not uncommon that two shows need to be recorded at the same time while another is being watched. Lets just say everyone in my house has differnent tastes when it comes to viewing habits and we do a lot of time shifting so losing any current DVR capabilities would not work out well. OTA is an option perhaps for one of the TV but I would have to buy and install an external anntenna as "rabbit ear" type do not work in my area. I can only pick up a couple of stations.

You're going to pay a $99 fee to get a second 722k where as the 625 is no additional cost upfront. I would do a 722k, 625 and a 211k with external hard drive. Would be cheaper upfront, cheaper per month, get HD to his two TVs and allow him to have DVR on all five TVs.

Thanks, you and others have recommended that 211k and external HD. What is its advantage over a 612?

A 211k only cost $7/mo. to have and the 612 is $10. Also, you would have to pay $99 upfront to get that 612 as a secondary receiver where the 211k is free. Now the 211k is only one satellite tuner where the 612 has two tuners.

I myself have a 922 and a 211k. The 922 is in my living room and side 2 goes to my kitchen and bedroom. Then the 211k is in my basement. I have hard drives hooked up to both receivers. The main reason I got the 211k was to use with my Tailgater though.

Thanks all for your input. I will be going with the 722, 612 and 625. Now to choose a dealer. Anyone have experience with Dishstore.net or Sattelite Solutions? I see Dishstore looks to be a Michigan company so living there a well I will most likely support my local community.

Okay I ran into a snag it seem for some reason I cannot get a 625 and am required get a second 722 and pay an additional $99 for it. Does this seem right? Something about all boxes needing to be HD in my area.......so as of now I will be getting a 612 and 2 722s.....

Well, it doesn't seem right to me, but you are probably in an Eastern Arc market where only mpeg-4 receivers work. What Dish could do (which they really don't want to do), is leave up your D500 for the 625 rather than taking it down and trashing it. When the installer was at my house upgrading my 61.5 dish to a 1000.4, he wanted to take down my D500 on 110/199 entirely. But I successfully said "no", because it was mounted on a custom stayed mast with my OTA antenna as well. My advice: claim poverty and say you absolutely positively don't have $99 to spend on the 2nd 722. They will probably give it to you for free, but they might get a clue and leave up your D500. Or if your market is on both arcs, install a 1000.2 instead.

Okay I ran into a snag it seem for some reason I cannot get a 625 and am required get a second 722 and pay an additional $99 for it. Does this seem right? Something about all boxes needing to be HD in my area.......so as of now I will be getting a 612 and 2 722s.....

I have had a couple PMs with MaryB from Dish and she was straightened things out. Thank you Mary...excellent customer service

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)