Receiver question

chwtom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I am going to sign up for Dish network service with the HD-DVR receiver. We have an entertainment center that has some open shelves and some shelves behind wood doors. My wife would like to put the electronics behind the wood doors so that its out of the way and looks less cluttered. Would I still be able to operate the HD DVR box with the remote if its behind closed doors like that?
Also, I have a DVD player and Receiver, are most of those operable behind the closed doors, or do you have to have a direct sightline to the box? Is there a universal remote I could buy that would allow me to put all the components behind the doors?

Sorry if this is a remedial/off-topic question, just wasn't sure where else to get answers. Thanks in advance for the hlep.

Couple things.

1. By default tv1 is uses an ir remote that needs line of sight.

2. It's not recommended to but the Vip622 in an enclosed cabinet. It will get too hot.

I would not recommend having your 622 behind a wooden door. Not only because the #1 remote won't work, but because it would likely overheat. I have one of those same receivers and I had to install 4 fans in my entertainment center to keep air moving so I could close the door. Stays cool as a cucumber now, but before I put in the fans it was locking up all the time. So if you put in some fans, then fine put it in there. Otherwise I would suggest finding another location that allows good air flow, or at least wide open spaces. The remote issue could be worked around by having your install tech setup #1 remote as UHF. In that case it would work on a radio frequency and not require line of site to the receiver. There may, however, be a charge for that. Those remotes aren't cheap.

can anyone suggest a fan that would be effective in ventilating a 622 located in an enclosed space in an entertainment center. There would be lots of clearance over and on the sides of the unit, but the wife will not allow this unit to be out in the open.

thanks

can anyone suggest a fan that would be effective in ventilating a 622 located in an enclosed space in an entertainment center. There would be lots of clearance over and on the sides of the unit, but the wife will not allow this unit to be out in the open.

thanks

WHAT!! WIFE WON'T ALLOW...

1) Yes - a fan and enuff open area in the back of the cabinet will work for cooling - that's how I've got my 622. If the space behind the doors is completely enclosed, the fan won't really do any good & so I would not recommend putting the 622 in there.

2) The remote thing is easy to fix. My DVD & Home Theater receiver are inside a glass door cabinet, but - even with a glass door - still has a problem with the IR remotes. I got a small "IR repeater" gizmo at Radio Shack. Two, very small pyramid shaped things - one sits outside the cabinet, point the IR remote at it. Second one is inside the cabinet near the front, remote commands from the 1st pyramid & gets sent via RF to the 2nd - 2nd then generates the same IR commands inside the cabinet.

i would put my wife in there. she's great, just not into looking at electronics.

any suggestions on a fan model to use? i've never bought a fan to ventillate a cabinet like that. thanks

You could also consider locating the 622 in another room, closet, or perhaps even in the basement. Others have done that with good success. There's no technical reason for it to be co-located with the other equipment. You will need the HD and audio/optical cables to run between your TV, your audio system, and the 622, but runs up to 100' are generally acceptable for either component or HDMI. As others have said, you could use the TV2 (RF) remote or get another one that will work with RF, or use the "IR remote repeater" that Cold Irons suggested. That converts the IR signal into an RF signal that's good for 50' or so, then back to IR so the receiver can use it.

Re: fans and the overheating situation - see this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...average-622-temperature-thread-yours-hot.html

thanks behelms. Just to clarify, I will have one TV hooked up to the box using component cable in the family room. I'll have another TV hooked up using a long HDMI cable to the bedroom. Those will both be considered TV1.
TV2 will be in another bedroom, and will be controlled using the RF (i think) remote).

So if I moved the box to the basement, would I be able to get two remotes, one for the family room, one for the master bedroom, and have them both control TV1 without being in line of sight, and still control another TV using the TV2 remote? What would I need to get to make that setup work? The basement is unfinished, so it would be pretty easy to drop lines down.

I don't think you can have both TV1 and TV2 as UHF (RF) controlled if you are using the 622 in the "Dual" mode, which is what it sounds like you're planning to do. (Dual lets you use TV1 and TV2 independently and the 622 only has one UHF receiver.) In the"Single" mode, either controller IR or RF will give you exactly the same functionality, but of course the program you're watching will be the same at both TV1 and TV2 locations. In that situation you could have multiple RF controllers at your various points of use.

If you think that you're not likely to want the TV2 location to be watching something different than TV1, then you're a good candidate for Single mode and what I described above would work for you. But when you do want to switch to Dual, then your RF controllers located at your TV1 locations would not work for you - they'd be controlling TV2.

In your situation if you're planning to use Dual mode most of the time, I suggest you get another IR remote for TV1 then 2 of those repeaters (they're relatively cheap, ~$30). So TV1 functions from either HD location would be via IR/repeater, and independent TV2 would be by RF. Others may have more experience with this (I use Single mode almost exclusively) and have other ideas for you...

Last edited:
i think i understand. so TV2 would be controlled using the RF remote, and could watch independant programming. The other two TVs could have HD programming, and watch teh DVR content, but not independantly of eachother. TV1 and two would need a line of site remote, so I would need to get one of these repeater things, as well as an extra remote.

Is that right?

Do you have a link to a repeater that would work for me. I just googled ir repeater and got overwhelmed. Also, would I need to buy an extra TV1 622 remote to use in the master bedroom? Where do you get those?

Thanks again

i think i understand. so TV2 would be controlled using the RF remote, and could watch independant programming. The other two TVs could have HD programming, and watch teh DVR content, but not independantly of eachother. TV1 and two would need a line of site remote, so I would need to get one of these repeater things, as well as an extra remote.

Is that right?

Do you have a link to a repeater that would work for me. I just googled ir repeater and got overwhelmed. Also, would I need to buy an extra TV1 622 remote to use in the master bedroom? Where do you get those?

Thanks again
You're close. Since you are using both of your HD sets off TV1 (one via component cables and the other via HDMI) then those 2 TVs will always be watching the same program. There's no way to make those independent. TV2 is independent IF you are in the "Dual" mode. As the 622 is shipped, TV1 is IR controlled (LOS or by a repeater that you add) and TV2 is by RF since it is generally the remote unit. Let's see what the answer is on the TV1 remote convertor kit mentioned above - that could really make things interesting for you!

The DVR functions are available to both TV1 and TV2. Dish will sell you another remote, either RF or IR, or you might find another on ebay or similar. Both types have specific model numbers that I can't recall right now. You could also go third-party for more functionality, etc.

The "repeater" is really a "remote control extender". Here is a link to the Radio Shack version for $40. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere:

RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Audio accessories: Wireless signal senders: Wireless Remote Extender

Dish has a kit to convert a tv1 remote from ir to uhf.

Wouldn't the box have to have the ability to have two UHF signals then? Maybe I don't understand how this works, but I need to have TV2 work via RF (that's the same as UHF, right?), AND need to have TWO tvs run off TV1 (one connected via components, on via HDMI). I know the two TVs running on TV1 will have to be watching the same thing, but I do want to have the ability to watch something else on TV2 every once in awhile (ie during football season). :)

Thanks for the help, any other ideas appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)