Recent observation of 61.5W vobulation

Smith P.

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Taken 24 hrs run of monitoring signal level tp29 at 61.5W.

Attachments

• 8of61.5W.JPG
    8of61.5W.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 355
Recent? Or ReSent Observation

Taken 24 hrs run of monitoring signal level tp29 at 61.5W.

Did you really mean resent or did you mean recent:

re·cent (rsnt)
adj.
1. Of, belonging to, or occurring at a time immediately before the present.

Yes, it was that 24 hrs as "a time immediately before the present" ie my post.

[Would you mind do semantics complains by PM or prefer post OFF-TOPIC ?]

That does not necessarly mean the satellite is wobbling.

Changing weather and atmospheric condictions would cause the same thing.

We got hit by snow last night here in Denver... it may have also been hitting Cheyenne (120 miles north) and causing some of that. Or the satellite is ready to fall out of the sky! :D

Ummm, is it just me that doesn't see anything unusual about this. It just kinda makes sense to me that the signal to noise ratio would be higher at night (as it is in your graph) when there is less solar noise due to the sun being set, and lower during the day when there is more noise. Perhaps there is something in the graph you would like to point out as unusual (or maybe post one from another satellite so we can see what a satellite looks like when it's not having problems)? The only strange thing I do see is the significant 2 hour long drop in the middle of the night. no clue what that is. Only thing I can think of is the sat is not getting as much light from the sun due to partial elipse by the earth, so slightly less power from sat as it's running off batteries (I'm reachin for explanations here, I really have no clue). Thanks for the great graph, and for anything you can teach me about this. Very interesting indeed.

It's a radio wave. RF is affected by temperature, time of day, atmosphere, barometric pressure, movement of your antenna, movement of coax cable. loose connectors and other things. Having a steady reading is unusual.

It's a radio wave. RF is affected by temperature, time of day, atmosphere, barometric pressure, movement of your antenna, movement of coax cable. loose connectors and other things. Having a steady reading is unusual.

Please observe today's picture with same conditions sans weather - it was rainy.

Attachments

• 61.5W rain.JPG
    61.5W rain.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I didn't mean exactly sine type, but the sat making "8-type" of movement and if momentum wheels doesn't works well - you will endup with periodic changes of signal level on far part of the beam (West Coast); the movements of CONUS beam does show a real concern to us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)