Recievers

warper

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 23, 2004
I am considering ordering Voom. I am trying to get info on their reciver. They are telling me that their component output can do 480i. I am trying to confirm this since I have a dvd recorder that has 480i component in. I can not find any specs on their receiver and I don't want to purchase to find that it does not.

Thanks for any help

Component output from the Voom receiver can be set for 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and native passthrough.

The receiver also has svideo output which I believe would also have to be 480i. This output might be the safer bet as you would probably want to leave the receiver in native pass through to get the highest resolution for live viewing and at the same time be able to record 480i.

480i Output

I can confirm that the VOOM receiver outputs a constant 480i signal via either of its two composite video output jacks.

One of my televisions is a 4x3 format Panasonic HDTV. I have one of my VOOM receivers feeding it with two separate inputs:
A. 3 cable component (1080i) video and L/R audio
B. Composite (480i) video and L/R audio

I use the B. output above when looking at standard definition 4x3 signals satellite such as CNN, HGTV, etc. While the VOOM receiver's component video output does not fill the screen on my Panasonic set, the composite video output gives a full screen non-distorted high quality picture, when combined with my Panasonic TV's scan doubler.

The 480i picture quality from the VOOM receiver is only a little degraded compared to the big dish/4DTV output that I had previously used on the same TV; so I am pretty happy about that. An experienced TV tech who re-converged my Panasonic set the other day said that he was extremely impressed by the colors and quality of the VOOM receiver's NTSC signal output. He said that the picture seemed significantly better than that provided by the other small dish companies.

The VOOM receiver is also quite sensitive at picking up off the air HDTV and standard definition digital signals, even in a multipath area. It is easily the equal to my LG LST-3510 OTA receiver and is much superior to my Samsung T-150 and RCA DTC-100 receivers.

The purpose in me doing the 480i component out is to have a 4x2 switch box. I would think that 480i component would be better quality than 480i svideo. I have a 480i component in on my dvd/hd recorder. I want to be able to record the best possible since it is displayed on a 55" mits hidef.

Warper,

Based on my experience so far with the receiver and my Panasonic 56 inch 4x3 set, I don't think you will see much PQ difference between the 480i component and 480i composite video outputs. You should try both methods with your recorder and see what you think.

I have a Panny E85H using the S-Video inputs to record and the Component 480P to view and it is awesome on a 110" screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)