Recommend a good DVR or DVD Recorder for Over The Air TV?

DJ Rob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Denver, Colorado
My grandparents who are in their 90s need to replace their VCR with something simpler that will record and play their favorite shows from off the air digital broadcasts to watch on their old 25" console TV. Any recommendations? I was thinking a DVR or DVD recorder with a ATSC tuner would probably work but I'm not sure what is the best to buy them.

To understand why the answer to your question is as it is, it is important to understand some background: VHS recorders were introduced in 1977. Back then, they used to cost upwards of $400 each, back when $400 was much more so a lot of money than it is today. Then, the technology became, literally, cheaper and cheaper (i.e., both in terms of lower price and lower relative quality). There were still high quality VHS recorders, but they were providing neat-o features and higher levels of picture quality that the average person didn't really care about.

We are still at the very beginning of the technology curve for digital video recorders. For example, the Sony DHG-HDD500 was introduced in 2002. So, we have not yet reached the point where digital video recorders are getting "cheaper and cheaper" in any dimension. So what you can expect with regard to purchasing a digital video recorder is roughly the same as what we had available to us eight years after the introduction of JVC's first VHS recorder -- so basically put yourself back to the mindset you had purchasing a VHS recorder in 1985.

Okay so so much for background info... the short answer to your question is that you can expect to pay between $250 and $600 to get a digital video recorder, and to get one that is relatively trouble-free then you're looking at that $600 number, not the $250 number.

The $250 number reflects a device like the DTVPal DVR. It is a basic device, originally put out by Echostar, and now put out by Channel Master. I do not recommend it at all. It has been plagued with problems, most of which have been resolved, but some haven't, and the various turnovers of ownership, and where the product line has ended up, leads me to distrust further support for the device. From some of the messages I've read this week, I fear that if you go with the DTVPal DVR, you may end up having to deal with problems that actually won't have resolutions.

The $600 number reflects a device like the TiVo Premiere DVR with lifetime service. To get that $600 price, though, you'll need a friend with a TiVo. Otherwise, you'll pay $100 more. The TiVo is an excellent device, with excellent ATSC tuners, and is useful for a lot more than you need it for, but you may find a use for those features regardless.

Let me know if you want more information on either of these options.

Another option is to get a used TiVo cheap. Be sure it is a series 3 or HD or it will not have an OTA HD tuner. Then you pay the monthly/yearly/lifetime service charge. You could give them the gift of TiVo service every year.

TiVo themselves sell used DVRs (with warranty) https://www3.tivo.com/store/clearance.do?WT.ac=tivohome_clearancecenter_HD49_content_body

$99 is not a bad starting price (20 HD hours, or $199 for 150). Then monthly service is $13, yearly $130 or lifetime $399. Note a second box gets a discount on service.

VHS Recorders are a dime a dozen if you can still find them. I last saw one at Walmart last fall for a VCR/DVD combo for $60. If they are 90 years old, like my Father whom is 93, a DVR would confuse the hell out of him. Make it simple.

The problem with that idea is that VCRs with ATSC tuners are rare. Panasonic made a bunch of DVD-Recorder/VCR Combos, like the DMR-EZ47V, which runs used at about $200 these days, but I don't think that that will be really any easier than a DVR. There is also the JVC HM-DT100U, but I couldn't find any for sale anywhere. And all other VCRs with ATSC tuners that I could find is even more expensive than that. Do you know of any others, and where they can be purchased today?

With regard to older VCRs without ATSC tuners; they are exceedingly difficult to use if your source is ATSC, as the OP indicated. I recommend a DVR instead of suggesting that an older person learning to wrestle with having program what channel they want to watch on one device and then program the VCR to record off Channel 3 on another device.

That's the problem I'm having now. They are trying to use a VCR with a ATSC converter box and they are having many issues with all of the settings that could get screwed up - like having to set this on channel 3 while the box has to be on channel 5-1, etc... They are having to set too many things jsut to record or playback one show.

I was hoping to see if there was something under $200 total that would fit the bill and be all in one unit.

I think we can say, definitively, that there is no such solution in that price range available for retail sale in the United States.

I don't think VCRs got down to that price-point until what would be, in the technology deployment curve, equivalent to perhaps 15 years from now, or so.

bicker has made some good posts. However, I would point out that I (& many others) are very happy with my/our DTVPal DVRs. I've had no significant issues with mine. But today's Channel Master version costs way more than the $200 or $250 I paid.

Tivo presents a risk. They may or may not be in business in a year or two. You would then (probably) lose the EPG. Tivo expects about $12 a month for that EPG service (a poor, & losing, business model). Yes, there are some "lifetime" options. Just make your decision with open eyes.

Don't get the Sonys. Good devices, for cable today, but they only got the analog version of the TVG EPG. I have one, and for OTA it's of little use now.

Tivo presents a risk. They may or may not be in business in a year or two. You would then (probably) lose the EPG.
No, sorry; none of that is indicated by any reasonable interpretation of the situation. TiVo's finances are not stellar, but worst-case-scenario (and to be clear, a lot of TiVo's strongest fans consider this a bad thing) could indeed be acquired by some larger company. However, that larger company would be obligated to continue providing TiVo service. Beyond that, even if somehow your Armageddon situation happens, and they aren't acquired by anyone, and there is a fire sale, there is as good as chance as any that they'll open up the door to EPG provided through other means. Regardless, that scenario is so far from probable as to be laughable. Despite TiVo's poor profitability, they have incredibly rich assets that many companies would be very happy to acquire, and would compete for the privilege to do so. Providing EPG to TiVo's current subscribers would be a very small consideration to most of these companies.

In a nutshell, TiVo is a risk, but it isn't the kind of risk you're projecting -- not even a little.

In the price range you are talking about I would say go with a DVD Recorder except that you mentioned that you wanted something simple...a DVD recorder may not fit that criteria. I have a tunerless Panasonic DVDR and I'm very happy with it. You might look at the version with the tuner or others like the Toshiba.

The problem with that idea is that VCRs with ATSC tuners are rare. Panasonic made a bunch of DVD-Recorder/VCR Combos, like the DMR-EZ47V, which runs used at about $200 these days, but I don't think that that will be really any easier than a DVR. There is also the JVC HM-DT100U, but I couldn't find any for sale anywhere. And all other VCRs with ATSC tuners that I could find is even more expensive than that. Do you know of any others, and where they can be purchased today?

With regard to older VCRs without ATSC tuners; they are exceedingly difficult to use if your source is ATSC, as the OP indicated. I recommend a DVR instead of suggesting that an older person learning to wrestle with having program what channel they want to watch on one device and then program the VCR to record off Channel 3 on another device.

If you belong to Costco, they have the Panasonic DMR-EZ485V in the $270 range. (price varies lower sometimes) I have one & it has the built in ATSC tuner. Mine works well, & is pretty easy to use. It is a VCR/DVD recorder combo. Do a search for the technical data.

Hope this helps.

To understand why the answer to your question is as it is, it is important to understand some background: VHS recorders were introduced in 1977. Back then, they used to cost upwards of $400 each, back when $400 was much more so a lot of money than it is today.

$400? Try more like $1000!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)