Recommended BUD SAT Dish specs for Caribbean (Turks and Caicos) Islands

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NJTomH

Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
I have never had a SAT equipment set-up before, so I have a few questions about my intentions to install a BUD SAT Dish at a property in the Caribbean islands (Turks & Caicos).

1) What size and type of dish would you recommend? (if space for a larger size dish is not an issue).

2) Is there a minimum size to not go "less than" that minimum size?

3) Is there any real REASONABLY SIGNIFICANT perceived benefit to going larger than the "not to go less than the minimum recommended" size?

4) Given a choice, if I have both DISH and DirecTV service here in the states, and wanted to bring one or both of my stateside boxes down with me when I travel, IN TERMS OF RECEPTION in TURKS and CAICOS, am I better off with bringing my DirecTV or my DISH box with me (legalities aside, as I did read a thread about that from an earlier conversation).

5) I did see that someone in an earlier thread was able to receive LIMITED reception of a HD signal on whatever dish they were using. Is there any possibility or sense of using one of the smaller DirecTV SLIMLINE dishes, with the 5 LNB's, in order to attempt to catch a HighDef DirecTV signal?

6) In terms of thinking about future EXPANSION and TECHNOLOGY ADVANCES when I order a Big Ugly Dish (BUD), is there anything I should be taking into consideration?

7) If I order a large enough BUD, is there ANY chance at all that I can capture a HD signal, and if YES, then what LNB should I order, and is a DirecTV or DISH LNB easy to attach to a BUD?

8) What other equipment might one suggest I be sure to purchase, with regard to installing a BUD for either DISH or DirecTV? I currently have the DirecTV Genie set-up in our office, and I was going to go back and forth with one of those boxes. Legalities aside, and talking about SAT RECEPTION ONLY, what SAT items need to be on my SHOPPING LIST before heading back down to the islands?

THANK YOU!!

NJTomH

:welcome to Satelliteguys NJTomH!

If you check the satmaps link at the bottom of the page you will find signal strength maps for Directv. The pink line is the limit of reliable reception. If you do a search in the Directv section you will find threads that deal with using a bud to receive Directv. Suffice it to say it's not a simple task, but I do wish you good luck.

BTW, you might want to post in the FTA section to get answers related only to the BUD questions.

Looking at the satmaps, it doesn't look very promising for hd or sd reception.

I will go take a peek at all of the thread locations you suggested... but.. in the meantime... THANK YOU! :) ...very kind of you, Chip!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV still saying no to Pac-12 Network

New Directv Promotion as of 7/24

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)