Reconnect a 508 after several months of inactivity WTF?

Y2k06

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
So, after many months I finally decide to reconnect a receiver (508) that has been disconnected for many months. I take it through all the setup stuff and all is good.

The only channel I can see is 100 and 101. So... I call Tech.

We do the do-see-do again. 6, 1, 1, then 6,1,3 and he asks me about drift. So, 110, 119 are -6 and 129 is -9. ** All the other HD receivers are getting a signal just fine. Granted 129 signal strength is mid 20's, but stable!

He then says, will send out a technician to replace the arm with new LNB's. I ask, what the hell does that have to do with the 508 not receiving anything and the guide not showing MANY channels and no locals. Isn't this just a re-authorization?

On any channel, it says something about "smartcard not authorized" or something like that.

We run the gauntlet again, downloads proper software, then acquires signals, and same thing. Nothing...... Says the 'tech' will fix it on the service call....

So.. why do I have to tie up an entire 1/2 day to come replace the LNB's when clearly that ISN't the problem.

FYI - running D1000 with 110, 119, 129 into a DPP44. Ports 1, 2, and 3 go to HD receivers. Port 4 goes to the 508. **NOTE - after roof was replaced I did not reattach a second D500 that was going to a DP34 swith, as I saw no need for it, so, I just moved the coax over to the 4th port on the DPP44. The other dish and switch is in my garage...

Am I missing something here?

Just call back and tell them you lost authorization and send a hit. I would take the service call. If your LNB is going out sooner or later it's going to die.

If the receiver is not hooked up for a long time it will need to be reauthorized. Call back and to to tech support and tell them it was disconnected and to rehit it. Changing the LNB has nothing to do with authorization as you cleary already know. Call back and get someone who has a clue.

Take the service call. It's free. This happened to me this past month with a 508 and 721. The 721 couldn't lock a signal and gave me the no authorization message. The 508 worked fine using the same cabling as the 722 although there was lnb drift. However, the 508 wouldn't work in another part of the house farther away from the lnb. In my neck of the woods, the service calls are scheduled for 1 hour increments so you don't have to give up a half day.

Call Dish (tech support) again.
First you'll need to verify the correct software version.
Menu 6 , 1, 3, system information - if sw is correct you also need to verify correct DNASP version.

Have them give you a re-hit

fred

Resolved!

The tech shows up within 10 minutes of the "noon to 5" window (just after noon). We go to the dormant 508 and turn it back on. Well, sure enough, it must have fixed itself somehow as it works now just fine.

But, while they were there they wanted to fix the 'drift' situation. Down came the old dish (1000) and up went a 1000.2 they said, but says 1000 on the actual dish. Is is a little bigger and more eliptical though. Used 3 new separate LNB's on a longer arm to 110, 119, 129. Peaked 119 then came inside.

Ran check switch on all 4 machines, and on info screen it showed 119 OK, 110 missing!, and 129 OK. So off to the attic. Swaps the inputs 1 and 2 (110, 119) on the DPP44 and reverses them and checkswitch comes up showing OK on all three. No drift!

Max signal now is on 119 coming in at 77, followed by 70 on 110, then 58 on 129.

He asked (thought he was joking) if I wanted the ground wire connected. I said uh..yeah...why wouldn't you. He said HD tends to break up (pixelate) with the ground connected but does better with no grouding wire. I choose to have him connect it and no problem so far.....

HEY-- WAS THE BEST installer I've ever had out here. The guy knew his stuff, very polite, knowledged on the systems and did a great job. Now, if the entire rest of CSR's and Tech's could all be as good.....what a great experience it would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)