record DVR content to DVD/R

hdmi_guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
i have a few movies and tv shows that i would like to remove off of my DVR (622) but i dont want to delete them...

ive thought about buying a dvd recorder (the panasonic ones seem to have good reviews) and just re recording them to dvd so i can watch them on my portable dvd player or laptop when i want.

before i spend the $200 on a dvd/r id like to know if this is possible?

and if it isnt what is the best way of "backing up" the dvr, without paying that onetime fee.

thanks guys

Yes you can record but keep in mind that the DVD will be SD, in case you are recording HD from the 622.
No backing up the DVR without external HD and the one time fee.

You certainly CAN copy a recording from your 622 to a DVD recorder - I do it all the time. You might want to get a DVD recorder with a built-in ATSC (digital) tuner if you also want to record programs directly from an antenna. Due to the added cost, most DVD recorders sold do NOT have a built-in ATSC tuner. By law, and DVD recorder sold with a tuner must have a DIGITAL tuner. This is the same law that requires that all TV's sold have an ATSC tuner built-in. (A display device may be sold without any tuner, but then it is a "Monitor" - not a "TV".)

Be aware that your DVD recordings will be Standard Definition - not High Definition. This is true whether you make a recording from the built-in ATSC tuner or you feed the 622's S-Video and audio outputs to your DVD recorder.

You would use your new DVD Recorder with a built-in ATSC tuner just like you used your "old" VCR. By the way, you might want to archive some of your old video tapes to DVD. Also for better quality DVD recordings, you will want to use a higher recording speed. Experiment for what is exceptible to you.

Happy recording! :):)

My DVD recorder has component inputs. I run HDMI to the TV and component to the DVD recorder. If I can watch it on TV (from the satellite box), I can record it. :) (The HDMI and component outputs are active simultaneously).

So... put a blank in the DVD recorder, hit record and then pause, find DVR'ed program I want to watch (or wait for live program to start) and when ready.... unpause the DVD recorder.

Done deal.

Just remember to "finalize" the DVD so it can be watched on other DVD players. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder... it reminds you to finalize if you try to remove the DVD after recording in case you forget. You can finalize later if you want, but for a single show on a single DVD I just finalize tehm and keep going. DVD media is cheap these days.

At $200, the dvd recorder should have th ATSC tuner although I believe it is only 480i, better than sd but certainly not HD. Using the s-video does give nice quality, but again it is not HD.
To hdmi guy: yes this option will work, remember you have to record to the dvd recorder in real time and if you are recording and want to remove commercials, you would need a recorder with a hard drive. You would record to that then edit out the commercials and then burn the dvd. If you record directly to the dvd, the commercials are usually recorded with the rest of the program.

As the OP said that the destination for the recordings would be a portable or computer, HD recording probably isn't a priority and a DVD recorder (with or w/o tuner) will work just fine.

The key is finding one that properly encodes widescreen so that it is displayed properly on a wide screen display.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)