Recorded Events GONE!?!?!?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brandonjp

Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
I just pressed the "DVR" button and all my taped programs were GONE!! Also, all my event timers and history logs were gone, as though the system had been reset. Anyone else had this problem?? I called SBC (my DISH provider) and they told me the reason it happened is because my system wasn't updated. He told me I have to turn the receiver completely off every night in order for it to update...I didn't think that was so, but thought I check with you guys. Basically I just don't want to record more shows on and then lose them all again in a couple weeks.

It not being updated is NOT going to cause it to erase all your recordings. The 522 is quite Flaky I will admit but unfortunately ive heard of it erasing everything before. if its any consolation i still have recordings from july on mine. However turning both tuners "Off" at night is a requirement for updates and guide data. The receiver also semi-reboots nightly when it is powered "Off" make sure you do a power button reboot (hold for 10 count) at least weekly.

Again--
I DO NOT ever turn either of my tuners off at night, just the TV, and I ALWAYS get my software and guide updates every night.
As for the recordings being deleted, I had this happen once and it was done after the nightly disk maintenance when it found errors and gave me 7 days till it would delete everything and repair itself.
I'm also a SBC customer.

it had been about 5 days (or less) since I'd last used the DVR to play or record anything, but I never received any warnings. I've only had the unit for two months and have never turned it off at night, but have always gotten correct program guides. SBC offered to send me a new unit if I wanted it...but I'd rather have my programs back!! grrrrrrrr......

Just out of curiosity....does DISH have any control over my DVR. Not that I think this happened, but could DISH delete my recorded event, or is my receiver too independent for that?

Welcome to DVR522 buggy software this is a relatively common post on DISH DVRs. This is why you use that old VCR or get a DVD recorder. If you want to archive programming you can't do it on a DISH DVR. Seeing it is a fault of their product they will not admit that this even happens. Just do a search of the forums and you will find many instances of lost programming.

There's NO way for Dish to be able to delete your programs. What happened to you was just a bad sector on the hard drive, and it had to defrag (or clean) the whole thing. (KNOCK ON WOOD) It's never happened to me.

And you can get your updates if you don't turn it off every night... just go under menu and find 'updates' (I believe it's under prefrences) and turn them on. It'll automatically update your guide and any software, along with doing the disc check. I have mine set to do it at 4:30am. I NEVER turn off my box!

ShadowEKU said:
However turning both tuners "Off" at night is a requirement for updates and guide data. The receiver also semi-reboots nightly when it is powered "Off" make sure you do a power button reboot (hold for 10 count) at least weekly.
:confused: I just turn off power using the remote. Does this turn off "BOTH" tuners? I've noticed that even after I do this, the Dish screensaver stays on and all I have to do is hit "select" to turn it back on. Am I only turning 1 tuner off? And if so, how do you turn both off? My program guides are always updated. . .

jginsburg said:
:confused: I just turn off power using the remote. Does this turn off "BOTH" tuners? I've noticed that even after I do this, the Dish screensaver stays on and all I have to do is hit "select" to turn it back on. Am I only turning 1 tuner off? And if so, how do you turn both off? My program guides are always updated. . .
On the front panel of your 522, a green light means tuner 1 is on, a blue light means tuner 2 is on. A red light under the tuner 1 green light means something is recording on tuner 1. A red light under tuner 2's blue light means tuner 2 is recording. Next to those lights is one that will be yellow/orange when you're in Dual Mode. It probably changes to some other color or is replaced by a different light for single mode, but I've never used that mode myself to find out.

The only way I know how to turn off tuner 2 is with the tuner 2 remote. You can't do it from the front panel, nor from tuner 1 remote (or at least I don't know how to do this - maybe there's a way...)

Bizzach said:
There's NO way for Dish to be able to delete your programs.
Untrue, although to the best of my knowledge they have never done anything like that.
Bizzach said:
What happened to you was just a bad sector on the hard drive, and it had to defrag (or clean) the whole thing.
Almost certainly.

brandonjp said:
I just pressed the "DVR" button and all my taped programs were GONE!!
Same thing happened to me two days ago but I was able to get them back by resetting the receiver (holding the power button on the front of the rec'vr in for 10 seconds.) If you haven't already, give it a try....... Good Luck.

Ok after doing some reading and such on here... the 522 doesnt have to be turned off to receive the updates. you will still need a weekly reboot to help speed and stability.

Turning off the tuners (aka pushing power buttons till all lights are off) just tells the unit that you arnt watching it any more and (on some units) to turn off the sat tuners (note i said SAT tuners the screensaver is an output of the unit not the tuner) Some units can rewind all the way past where they turned it "On" which is interesting because it seems it wouldnt work properly for downloads. another dish engineering WTF.

JFS7931 said:
DVRs do NOT tape shows- there is no tape involved.
Come-on, you know what they mean! Its like saying so and so's got a new album out, You know it means a new disk! Im taping a show means recording a show.
But like I said you already knew what they meant.

Sorry to say, but this happens from time to time....

You might consider the 522 Disk storage a volatile area. Even though you record programs to it, there is a slim chance at ANY time they will be gone due to software or hardware failure.

Even if you have a 522 and the Hard Drive is 100% and one of the tuners fail, Dish has to RMA the unit and send you a new 522. You still lose ALL of your recorded shows.

At present, you CAN archive to VHS or if you have a computer nearby, you can capture the RCA/COAX out to a video capture card and then burn it to VCD or DVD.

There is no perfect answer to your problem other than to acknowledge that someday everything you record will end up in the great bit bucket in the sky......

If you really want to record a program, your best bet is to record it (on to VHS or DVD) at the same time it is received. If not, you have a greater risk your recording being full of the audio hiccups that you get when playing back.

Also, you can't "rewind" your DVR because there is nothing to wind ;) However Fast Forward seems to be a universal, semantically correct term. :D :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)