Refund from Best Buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Skyscanner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Sportsman's Paradise Northern Mi
Anyone buy an "on sale" Orby receiver from Best Buy before it was known they were useless, and tried to get a refund?

I've been thinking about giving it a shot but the store is about 35 miles from me. Checked my receipt and bought it 12-18-20, and looks like they only refund for 15 days and charge up to 45% restock fee. Looks like it's not worth the trouble in my case.

Maybe get Mastercard involved?

I don't think they can enforce a restocking fee when they sold under fraudulent conditions .

I'd call corporate , or even email the CEO. You won't get his private address's, but I can usually get a secretary to respond

Reactions: Skyscanner
The fact that they were selling them on clearance a couple of weeks before they went dark is total BS
Here's the email I just sent to the store I purchased the Orby DVR from.

"I purchased an Orby DVR at your store and enjoyed the programming to the point that several months later, we saw that you had new Orby DVRs at half price, and recently discovered that Orby is out of business. You still had them listed and we paid $100 for something it seems your company knew was worthless at the time of purchase. I want a refund and no restock fee. The unit has never been connected, it was purchased as a backup unit. I still have the original store receipt taped to the box.
My question is, how do I get a refund?
You might be interested in this article:

Updated: Why Is Best Buy Still Selling Orby TV? - The TV Answer Man! ".

Who knows. If Orby supplied Best Buy on consignment and put out the word to dump stock and they still got their money. Good luck. Think about how Home Depot and Ryobi do business.
You could wait to see if someone reverse engineers the firmware in them for an FTA receiver with DVR capabilities. Or go fishing and use it for an anchor.
Or like so many unused Dish and Direc DVR's I keep an eye out for, tear it down for parts. Repurpose the the HDD. Time to return limits and even if you do, restocking fees suck.
All in all what you spent in equipment is a heck of a lot less than what Primestar customers felt when they went belly-up.

Who knows. If Orby supplied Best Buy on consignment and put out the word to dump stock and they still got their money. Good luck. Think about how Home Depot and Ryobi do business.
You could wait to see if someone reverse engineers the firmware in them for an FTA receiver with DVR capabilities. Or go fishing and use it for an anchor.
Or like so many unused Dish and Direc DVR's I keep an eye out for, tear it down for parts. Repurpose the the HDD. Time to return limits and even if you do, restocking fees suck.
All in all what you spent in equipment is a heck of a lot less than what Primestar customers felt when they went belly-up.
It's really not worth the hassle, but what the heck. Ya don't get if ya don't ask.

Here's the email I just sent to the store I purchased the Orby DVR from.

"I purchased an Orby DVR at your store and enjoyed the programming to the point that several months later, we saw that you had new Orby DVRs at half price, and recently discovered that Orby is out of business. You still had them listed and we paid $100 for something it seems your company knew was worthless at the time of purchase. I want a refund and no restock fee. The unit has never been connected, it was purchased as a backup unit. I still have the original store receipt taped to the box.
My question is, how do I get a refund?
You might be interested in this article:

Updated: Why Is Best Buy Still Selling Orby TV? - The TV Answer Man! ".
It's really not worth the hassle, but what the heck. Ya don't get if ya don't ask.
I hope this works out for you. Totally unfair to be selling boat anchors if they knew.

Reactions: TV Junkie
Just got this email from the store manager of Best Buy in Traverse City, MI where I bought it:

Good Morning Jack,

If it was purchased in December, I will gladly return this product for you. Please stop into our Traverse City Location and we can get this taken care of for you.

Cathy Majchrzak
Front End Supervisor
Store 500
Traverse City, Michigan
(231) 929-2388

So I guess I'll be making the trip to TC today or Monday. Hope some of you guys can get some satisfaction as well!

Just got this email from the store manager of Best Buy in Traverse City, MI where I bought it:

Good Morning Jack,

If it was purchased in December, I will gladly return this product for you. Please stop into our Traverse City Location and we can get this taken care of for you.

Cathy Majchrzak
Front End Supervisor
Store 500
Traverse City, Michigan
(231) 929-2388

So I guess I'll be making the trip to TC today or Monday. Hope some of you guys can get some satisfaction as well!
Nice! :)

It's really no different than the Dish and DTV receivers that I see that no longer will work.. Buyer's really just need to know what they are purchasing..I surely wouldn't buy anything I didn't research first

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)