Remap suggestion for E*

UpAllNight

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Does E* use the channel numbers 90-99 for any subscriber purpose?
If not, it would be nice if they used those channels to allow us to remap any 10 channels to that range of our choosing.

It could be used for such remaps like, favorite group of movie channels, favorite sports channels, favorite HD channels, NPS Distants, or obviously any combination of those mentioned.

An incentive for E* to do this, could be that when a sub is not remapping a channel to the 90-99 range, they would automatically be populated with some of their better money making channels, shopping channels! :D

Yeah, lets scratch that last 'incentive' idea, just give us the ability to remap a few channels of our own choosing please.

The menu in the software would be very easy to program. Just have a list of channels like you do in the favorites option. Then when you wanted to remap a certain channel that is currently highlighted in the list, you simply press one digit, 0-9. Being that you would be limited to 10 channels, it would automatically place it in the 9x channel you selected. To remove a channel from a current remapping, you would simply press # or *. If a remap was about to be overwritten, then a pop up would ask if you would like to replace that spot with the current selection.

Sounds simple huh? Yeah I know, they'll get to it, ....right after they release NBR on the 5xx dvrs. :eek:

Obviously you don't understand the background of how channels fight for specific channel numbers. (0, 5, 00, etc.) They don't want you to be able to remap. If you really want this type of thing just make a favorites list ;)

Remapping is to put your local channels into an area you are already familiar with instead of having you look around in the xxxx number range. Since locals are usually advertised according to the mapped number, you easily remember this channel number. Cable does not use this for their supplied locals nor any of their other channels. It would be nice for your, but in a larger household, it would just cause confusion within your household. I agree with lakebum, set up a favorite channels list for your needs.

Does E* use the channel numbers 90-99 for any subscriber purpose?
If not, it would be nice if they used those channels to allow us to remap any 10 channels to that range of our choosing.

It could be used for such remaps like, favorite group of movie channels, favorite sports channels, favorite HD channels, NPS Distants, or obviously any combination of those mentioned.

An incentive for E* to do this, could be that when a sub is not remapping a channel to the 90-99 range, they would automatically be populated with some of their better money making channels, shopping channels! :D

Yeah, lets scratch that last 'incentive' idea, just give us the ability to remap a few channels of our own choosing please.

The menu in the software would be very easy to program. Just have a list of channels like you do in the favorites option. Then when you wanted to remap a certain channel that is currently highlighted in the list, you simply press one digit, 0-9. Being that you would be limited to 10 channels, it would automatically place it in the 9x channel you selected. To remove a channel from a current remapping, you would simply press # or *. If a remap was about to be overwritten, then a pop up would ask if you would like to replace that spot with the current selection.

Sounds simple huh? Yeah I know, they'll get to it, ....right after they release NBR on the 5xx dvrs. :eek:

Good idea. Sounds good to me.
They give the guide off air channel numbers now. Your idea would be a definite plus.

Remapping is to put your local channels into an area you are already familiar with instead of having you look around in the xxxx number range. Since locals are usually advertised according to the mapped number, you easily remember this channel number. Cable does not use this for their supplied locals nor any of their other channels. It would be nice for your, but in a larger household, it would just cause confusion within your household. I agree with lakebum, set up a favorite channels list for your needs.

Sure they do. At least in my experience. Now I don't know if this is the "real" channel or simply for display purposes only (like OTA DTV does) in the case of a CATV box but I don't see how they can fake it on the TV. My experience is that broadcast channel X is received on cable channel X (in general, there are exceptions). Now, cable channels (C-SPAN, AP) are usually a free for all although C-SPAN does tend to be in the lower ranges (to incorporate into the "cheapskate" tier). Perhaps I am misunderstanding you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)