Remember the Old DVHS Receivers?

RickyMac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Phenix City, AL
I have been with E* since 1993 and had one of the first Digital VHS Recorder/Receivers. They worked fairly well, but way too many artifacts in the recorded digital picture. Funny, I paided $549.00 for the DVHS Reciever and recently purchased the 921 for 549.00.

The reason I bring up the comparison is that I just heard that E* will not be providing NBR to the 921. I can remember how I was looking forward to the updates for the DVHS, well they never came. E* let that reciever die. We never even got caller ID.

I fear this is what will happen to the 921. I still hve time to return my 921 and go with the Tivo HD from D*. What do you all think? 921 or Tivo that is the question?

Some people say that E* is not what they used to be. Let me tell you, they have always been this way and I don't see them changing any time soon.

Have A Merry Christmas!

RETURN IT According to Charlie all future HD programming will be in the MPEG 4 format and the 921 won't be able to support it so all you can receive in the future is the channels you have now. You have another boat anchor from DISH Network. The 721 and 921 are the only DISH receivers to be programmed in Linux and that was outsourced to Eldon an English company. Sorry.

I just sold my jvc DVHS a couple of months ago, when I got dvr fever.
back when I first bought the vcr, I wasn't so consumed with the features of the equipment as I was with the 921.
I thought that a satellite receiver and vcr in one package that recorded high quality was
exactly what i was looking for and it worked great!

gredneck said:
I thought that a satellite receiver and vcr in one package that recorded high quality was exactly what i was looking for and it worked great!
I agree, the HM-DSR100 was a great product. I would say the "disappointment" of not getting the HDTV modulator ala the 5000 has been balanced by the fact that the D-VHS deck was well-built and the analog performance of the JVC-based transport continues to impress me.

I still use mine to record NTSC OTA and play VHS/D-VHS tapes, but it's no longer on my Dish account. I recently connected it to the satellite to upgrade the firmware, but there isn't enough "free" stuff to justify wiring another full-time connection. I did find out a few months ago that when Showtime or HBO run a free weekend, it is available to the JVC. So I will hook it up on those occasions to digitally "archive" some not-so-recent movies if something catches my interest.

RickyMac, when I bought mine, I paid $799 :shocked and thought it was a good deal since it included a Dish300 w/dual LNBf. I sold my Dish 2000, hooked up the HM-DSR100, and thought I was set. Now, of course, I'm into HD with a 6000 and a 811, and the D-VHS recorder is relegated to second-class status.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts