Remote Access issues again

Thanks again for the help guys...It's been a week and Dish has done nothing to address the problem. I cannot access programming on my laptop using dish4.sling.com but am able to function using the workaround via the changes to the host file on my Desktop system. Guess I'll just make the same changes on my laptop and deal with it. Too bad these things get no attention from Dish, especially when they use DRA as a marketing tool. Frustrating but I guess that is just the way it is.

Thanks again for the help guys...It's been a week and Dish has done nothing to address the problem. I cannot access programming on my laptop using dish4.sling.com but am able to function using the workaround via the changes to the host file on my Desktop system. Guess I'll just make the same changes on my laptop and deal with it. Too bad these things get no attention from Dish, especially when they use DRA as a marketing tool. Frustrating but I guess that is just the way it is.
I just got off chat with one of the techs at Dish (though it was connected to and through Dishonline.com ... which is an alternate to Dish Remote Access).

I would chat tech support at DishNetwork.com ... very specifically ... I would start by asking how familiar the tech is with using Dish Remote Access via the website ... and from there I would explain to them that no matter how many times you log out, and log back in, as well as if you clear cookies etc, you get the same server providing the content to you ... "Dish XX . sling . com" tell them, that you've checked with friends, they have the same server and and don't have the issue, and others with different servers don't have the issue .... and what you're looking for is to report this problem officially, and get it flagged/repaired.

The alternative is to choose the "Email" option on the dishnetwork.com site ... and choose the "webmaster" as the place to send the email ... let them know which dishX server you're getting.. etc..

If you've done both ... then I would probably continue to hammer away at them until someone does something about the problem. If need be, I would call them, and I would continue to call them.

If dish isn't going to address an issue, and isn't going to make it easier for users like us (escpecially when we have some clue) to report real world issues, and get real world results.. then they need to pay for having a tech handle our chat/call until they get the message.

I'm sorry to make it sound that way ... but lets be real about this.. Even the Dish folks that are here on Sat.Guys... if DISH corporate, isn't going to use their people to learn how to make DISH better .... then they need to pay for their refusals to learn...

This is simply UNBELIEVABLE. I called Dish and again reported my problems in not being able to view scheduled programs for recording using the NOW, TODAY or LATER tabs when using Dish Remote Access. I was advised I needed a Sling Adapter. I politely told the CSR I was not trying to watch programs but was merely wanting to see what was scheduled for purposes of determining whether I wanted to record it by using DRA. I then advised the CSR that I COULD see the schedule if I changed the IP address in my Hosts file to log in to a different server, i.e., dish6.sling.com. I was eventually passed up the line four times and eventually to a supervisor in the Broadband Access Department.

I once again painstakingly explained my problem and was advised that it was impossible to schedule a recording from the Now, Today or Later tabs without a Sling Adapter!!!! I advised the supervisor that I had been doing so for over two years and that the Dish website does not indicate an adapter is necessary to merely schedule programs. I told the supervisor I could access the schedule via the tabs by logging in on a different server and schedule recordings from that server like I always have. Her response? "Well I would suggest you continue to do that." I then asked, "Are you telling me that I need to configure my computer so as to bypass the server allocated to my account by Dish in order to take care of the problem?" She replied "Yes."

It is patently obvious that many of the upper echelon staff at Dish have no clue as to how DRA works or its features. They DO understand that they are to do whatever they can to cause a customer to buy a Sling Adapter. I pity the next customer with this problem who purchases a Sling Adapter only to find they STILL cannot schedule a recording via DRA using the NOW, TODAY or LATER tabs.

This is simply unbelievable. I will now take the time to change my hosts file on my laptop...as Dish is obviously not going to fix the problem. After this experience I will change providers after my contract expires.

oh.. it would be funny if it weren't so true... you should have mentioned the commercials on tv.. where they have actors in a bank.. during a robbery ... "I've got to set a recording timer for my favorite show" ... the guy wasn't trying to WATCH tv.. was trying to set the DVR.. and that it IS possible.. :)

they don't know their own product... I would hope you got the people's names and numbers so you can personally complain about their lack of knowledge and understanding. This technology has been out there for several years.. and if they aren't aware of it.. its just ignorance or a lack of updated training materials, and access to those materials when in calls.

Its again.. another way DISH is failing to learn from people like us .. that have a "clue". :(

they don't know their own product... :(

I could deal with the fact that the initial two CSR's didn't have a clue. But the straw that broke the camels back was being booted upstairs to Broadband Access and then to a clueless SUPERVISOR in the department. Simply, positively, unequivocally unbelievable. The lady is firmly convinced that without a Sling Adapter one is unable to schedule a recording from DRA--heck even a cursory view of the website and marketing materials and watching Dish commercials would have convinced her otherwise, but apparently those things are not in the manual.

One of the big issues is, DISH does not control the Remote Access, that is handled by the folks at Sling...

For CSR's we probably know more how Dish Remote Access works (and when it has issues) then they do unfortunately.

This is an opportunity for DISH to improve. I know John Paul from Sling and would be willing to be a liason between them and SatelliteGuys members if they would let me.

I am a SLING LOVER and have been since the first Slingbox was released. :D

Well Scott no wonder they are lost. Is Sling simply unwilling to provide any type of assistance to Dish in solving DRA and similar issues or is it another issue altogether? It makes it awfully difficult to resolve issues if we are unable to contact Sling directly and the staff at Dish has no idea of how Sling/Dish DRA works. This is a heck of a Catch-22 for customers.

Yeah.. and agreed about getting someone at Sling ... since when you're on SLING's site.. and ask for help.. it ... refers us back to the help screens (chat) at Dish!

And to be honest.. I can't understand WHY! I mean its not like they just flipped the switch over last night, yesterday, or last week .. and still they don't have a direct connection between dish remote access and sling support? If it were relatively recent .. they'd get more forgiveness ... and I'm sure that as the technology becomes even more popular.. that they will suddenly come to the realization they've been severely lacking in attention ... I've been looking forward to that next charlie chat.. if it is what I think.. and ready to both give him a piece of my mind, and at the same time give him a way out ... namely ... that he has tools in place, just needs to start using them (Dish Reps here, and to get a better inbound support path, as well as needs to put up a site of *known* issues).

Echostar (Dish) owns Sling. So, Sling needs to get on the correct page with Dish/Echostar, and provide some way to get REAL tech support.

Echostar (Dish) owns Sling. So, Sling needs to get on the correct page with Dish/Echostar, and provide some way to get REAL tech support.
I think you're a little reversed on that.. I think the mandate came from DISH ... for sling to direct its support/help questions into DISH's support options .. think of consolidation ... you buy out a company .. you have a large support staff already ... so the "suit" thinking is ... just add those products to ours for supporting.. maybe we add a few people, and that balances out any increased numbers of calls.

I'm sure in the takeover.. support staff from Sling were annexed (to a point) into Dish's company ... the problem here.. is that now that support points to Dish .. Dish isn't responsibly weeding out which issues deal with which equipment. Weeding/Routing the correct support type to the correct support path. And that's where "those of us with a clue" are getting stuck ... we know the problem *isn't* us.. but dish is still stuck in the old "power cycle that receiver bud" frame of mind.

Well Scott no wonder they are lost. Is Sling simply unwilling to provide any type of assistance to Dish in solving DRA and similar issues or is it another issue altogether? It makes it awfully difficult to resolve issues if we are unable to contact Sling directly and the staff at Dish has no idea of how Sling/Dish DRA works. This is a heck of a Catch-22 for customers.
Sling is a VERY small company with some of the staff here in the US and other staff members across the sea. They have done some amazing things for a company of their size, but its because of their size that there are these issues because they dont have time to properly communicate.

As I said before I would be happy to pass the word on things and act as a go between.

As I said before I would be happy to pass the word on things and act as a go between.
K.. then
  • first we need to know how to properly get accounts cleared from one *servicing* server to another. ie.. I'm on dish8.sling.com ... how do I get my account to go to dish7 ... or how do I get my account data as on dish8 scrubbed, so its rebuilt the next time I log in there.

... this so that we solve the "half my channels missing on dish2.sling but are fine when I force use of dish4.sling
  • time frame for them to fix issues with the DVR tab and its sorting failure (take an account with 30+ events, several of those events as "multiple episodes" mixed with movies from the 80's, and 2000's and TV shows from 2008+ ... so they can see how badly the sort performs)

currently My DVR groups events by default with no option not to, also is sorting by date the show originated, not the date the recording was made, name grouping is not using names *we* chose to rename a show by .. instead goes by original show name, and could use a better response to "play now" options ... slightly wrong click forces you onto the "Info" of the show, where *then* you have to click again the "play on web" or "Play on TV" button
  • next a *public facing* method to get support that doesn't involve the frustration of going into Dish which has no clue about their (sling's) products.
  • a site that users can go to, to see current issues, to include which servers are effected, turn arround times for repair, and options to get users back on line with a different server if needed
  • access to, and feedback tracking for DishOnline.com which is part of sling too. Especially their disgusting DVR page ... sorted alphabetically, and ALL items, to include recording timers are displayed and with no option to show "only whats on the dvr for playback" and options to see just timers, and sort options there too.

This could be a gone with the wind item, if they'd consolidate their efforts to make the Dish Remote Access DVR Tab the primary or only method for DVR access .. since that does have subtabs (left side) to see upcoming timers, etc.
Anyone else?

Anyone else not able to access Dish Remote Access this morning? The main Dish site is still up, but when you try to access any customer service features (like DRA) you can't even get a login screen, it just keeps trying to connect until it times out. If they can't get this fixed before today's sporting events there's going to be a lot of upset people that thought they were going to be able to use Sling.

I'm having the same problem. My 922 shoes green (OK) on DHCP and Internet Connection but red (Failed) on Server Connection.

This seems to have occurred several times these past weeks. I assume they are doing maintenance in the early morning hours on Sundays.

Well, at least the mobile app works now (despite the DVR showing as "not connected" in Network Setup), but I still can't access via the web site and other users are starting to complain on Twitter as well. Might be a long day for Dish reps.

DRA is still inaccessible. For as long as it has been down, I just hope Dish/Sling is addressing the DRA problems identified in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)