Remote device dedicated to playing sling on the TV?

aasimbeck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
Hey all, I'm a college student, and have a ViP922 back home. I frequently stream off of it during the little amount of down-time I find in college. But when I do, it seems like a hassle to get the MacBook pro, plug the HDMI cable in, setup the second screen, then have to get out of bed or use screensharing to change the channel, etc, etc.

It works really well, I actually have a site to site VPN setup between my dorm room and my home, so all the computers within both locations can talk to each other. I get a stable 8-9 mbps connection between here and home, which is plenty for perfect HD.

I (think I) vaguely remember a device known as a Sling Catcher, was this to take the video, and act as a stand-alone device to display the video on the TV?

What are my options for some sort of set-top box to give me a remote, and HDMI-out, if any options are available.

If anyone has any input on this, please let me know!

Thanks!

P.S. The DishOnline Flash applet uses my computer resources like crazy. I have a 17" MacBook Pro, with an i7 and 8 gigs of ram in it, and every time I shut Sling Down to leave for class or go to bed, my laptop is hot as hell and the fans are going non-stop. This is another reason I'd like to find an alternative route.

I'm pretty sure the sling catcher is discontinued. They have a Sling Receiver, but I'm pretty sure it's vaporware.

Yeah the decision to go to flash was the worst thing they could have done. The one thing apple and MS fan-boys can all agree on is that flash is horrible.

Yep, I hate flash. I'm really just seeking a more convenient way of doing this, and having a physical remote would be EXTREMELY beneficial. What is Vaporware, I saw it mentioned somewhere when I was doing some Googleing before I posted this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)