Remote email setup?

When creating a new rule in OWA only options available are save and close. Cannot find a turn rule on anywhere?

You are correct sorry I was working in outlook directly.

I would say as long as you have the correct address's in the Sent to and distribution list field and you have it correct in the forward to you should be good to go?

Just tried this on my system here at work and works fine. Is it possible that they are blocking the forwarding?

In Outlook, you can turn the rule on. You can do this to make the settings in Exchange. You don't have to keep using it later on. I've never considered if you could do this thru OWA, but this could be over-ridden by your IT regardless.

Obviously, I did not see the two posts prior to mine before posting. Yes, that time delay can be set in Exchange, IIRC.

I have once again spoken with the tech dept. Not sure why the people doing tech cannot answer questions....reminds me of CSR. I have a ticket in and was informed it would take up to 5 days to get an answer! I thought my FSMs were bad about answering their emails.

So we shall see unless anyone here has other ideas?

If you really want to make them squirm, get a blackberry and have them help you get email delivered to it.

Sorry JV was just funnin with pepper's comment. I understand completely this is no laughing matter to you. The quick and dirty solution for you at this point, with out dealing with there support would be Outlook 2007 as there is no other alternative at this point.

PS I think you can download Office 2007 demo for free (30 Days) and at least try it while you are awaiting there answer.. In my opinion it is the best Outlook out there..

no offense taken, I have a copy of Office 2007 Enterprise but don't use outlook. Heck I don't even have that installed atm guess I forgot it last time I did a reformat of my systems.

No problem.. No offense taken here. Was just trying to solve a prob..
Good Luck and please let us know how it turn's out. Knowledge is always welcome here. :)

The quick and dirty solution for you at this point, with out dealing with there support would be Outlook 2007 as there is no other alternative at this point.

They have the abilty to keep this from working too. The very easiest way to get this to work is get a windows mobile device and set it up with that.

I'm a Senior Network Engineer for another organization and won't go into our own email specifics.

However, what is likely an issue is that your company decided certain forms of email access in an "unsecure" local (ie, not inside of their own protected networks) that supporting POP3 or IMAP is not a good idea.

From a home user perspective, free accounts that offer POP3 or IMAP are easy to use. However, I don't touch them either.

Simple reason, POP3 and IMAP send your username/password in the clear. Meaning if I can intercept your communications traffic to your email server, I'll easily know your exact credentials and can then be "you". Many ISP's for example place their customers in the same subnet and dynamically assign an IP address out of that same subnet to those users. Search Google if you want more information, but criminals can and do this frequently (search for descriptions of BotNets for example). Outside of wired networks, you get into wireless. This is even waaaaaaaaay more easy. Especially since a large number of users use WEP, freeware software to crack this in less than 7 seconds has existed almost as long as the protocol even existed.

If you receive important personal, financial and other details by a POP3 or IMAP account, be warned. It's not a mater of "if" your identity would be stolen, but "when". Be sure to at least use POP3S or IMAP4S (SSL encrypted versions of these protocols). However, frequently you can't use the "Outlook Express" for these as Microsoft never updated it to use the correct ports for encrypted SMTP communications, hit or miss depending on the system the ISP uses.

As for Exchange, Microsoft has support for both Outlook Web Access and another service called "Outlook Anywhere" (formerly for those tech heads "RPC over HTTPS"). This allows for secure SSL communications to an Outlook 2003 (if manually configured) or Outlook 2007 (autodiscovery features now assist setup) client if the organization desires.

So if you have Outlook 2007, give it a try, the worst is that it won't work if they didn't enable the feature.

As for lost or deleted messages? Don't worry about it.... I'm sure if you ask, this can be recovered for you. As of December 2006, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (that's the laws dealing with lawsuits, etc) have email as electronic evidence that needs to be provided quickly, see "e-discovery" for better details. E-Discovery Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Go Into Effect Today : Electronic Discovery Law

So I'm sure that your company archives all the messages so as to quickly be able to search and provide for legal purposes. Truely big brother opertations may have statements in their corporate policy that they are routinely having HR search all emails for inappropriate use anyways.

Anyways, I do understand frustrations when it comes to the restrictions that many business are placing on email, but with all the cyber crime, SEC, HIPPA and other federal regulations they've got to comply with, I'm suprised many of us even still have email access "period".

As for all you home users, if you can't use SSL encrypted methods like POP3S or IMAP4S instead of just the plain versions, stick to using only the SSL encrypted (https://) websites for email use. That "s" on the end indicates as a standard SSL use for web.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)