Remove My Land Line Phone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hhunton

Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Mansfield, TX
I'm ready to cut the cord on my landline home phone and go to cell only. The only thing keeping me from doing it is my Dish 811 and 522 receivers though. I purchase PPV from time to time and need to have a way for my receivers to upload those purchases to Dish.

I've looked at a product call "Cellsocket" which is a device that plugs into your home phone jack and allows all your wired phones to use your cell phone for incoming and outgoing calls. The cellsocket also charges your cellphone while it's in the cradle. After reading the fine print on the cellsocket it looks like it won't work with the Dish receivers because to dial an outgoing call you have to input a "#" after dialing the number (this emulates hitting "send" on your cell phone). When I looked at the Dish dialing options, you can select a prefix but not a suffix. It would be nice to run a cat 5 line to my 811 and 522 and have them stay current using my high-speed internet connection, but I don't think that capability exists yet.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can remove my land line service and still have the ability to keep my 811 and 522 current with Dish for billing purposes?

Thanks

Voice Over IP is a viable obtion... but can cause problems as well... I keep my landline primarily for DSL and have minimal service on the voice side... its less than 30 and prevents problems

I cut my cord about 3 yrs ago, the few times I want to order a PPV I either use the internet to order from Dish or call them. When I call, I've been successful in getting the extra fees waived because I choose not to have a land line.

hhunton said:
I'm ready to cut the cord on my landline home phone and go to cell only. The only thing keeping me from doing it is my Dish 811 and 522 receivers though. I purchase PPV from time to time and need to have a way for my receivers to upload those purchases to Dish.

I've looked at a product call "Cellsocket" which is a device that plugs into your home phone jack and allows all your wired phones to use your cell phone for incoming and outgoing calls. The cellsocket also charges your cellphone while it's in the cradle. After reading the fine print on the cellsocket it looks like it won't work with the Dish receivers because to dial an outgoing call you have to input a "#" after dialing the number (this emulates hitting "send" on your cell phone). When I looked at the Dish dialing options, you can select a prefix but not a suffix. It would be nice to run a cat 5 line to my 811 and 522 and have them stay current using my high-speed internet connection, but I don't think that capability exists yet.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can remove my land line service and still have the ability to keep my 811 and 522 current with Dish for billing purposes?

Thanks

You may want to read this thread on dsl reports..

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9406495~mode=flat

Users have reported being able to dial in from Vonage lines.. I have vonage and no land line, but I simply haven't tried it. I don't have a jack anywhere near my 311 or 811.... tell you what... I'll run an extension cord to my 311, tryit and post back...

I can verify that both the 811 and 301 dial out without any issues on Vonage. :)

Alarm systems? oi, that's another VERY LONG story...

snathanb said:
You may want to read this thread on dsl reports..

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9406495~mode=flat

Users have reported being able to dial in from Vonage lines.. I have vonage and no land line, but I simply haven't tried it. I don't have a jack anywhere near my 311 or 811.... tell you what... I'll run an extension cord to my 311, tryit and post back...

Ok... tried it. I ran a line to my 311. It senses dialtone and dials out, but I could never get it to connect. I did have the 90k codec (high quality) selected. I have read that if you order a second line, that the line 2 jack on the vonage MTA is setup for data. I'm not going to order a second line just for that.

It did, however, show caller ID on the TV through the Vonage connection.

hancox said:
I can verify that both the 811 and 301 dial out without any issues on Vonage. :)

Alarm systems? oi, that's another VERY LONG story...

Interesting... I couldn't get it to work...

I just signed up for Vonage just to save a few bucks (not installed yet), but I would prefer to just cut the wired phone all together and go cell only. It looks like I have to keep wired phone service only for my 522. An ethernet connection (or the ability to utilize the USB port on the newer Dish receivers to connect to my high-speed internet) would be the fix to allow people to start pulling the plug permanently on POTS.

hhunton said:
I just signed up for Vonage just to save a few bucks (not installed yet), but I would prefer to just cut the wired phone all together and go cell only. It looks like I have to keep wired phone service only for my 522. An ethernet connection (or the ability to utilize the USB port on the newer Dish receivers to connect to my high-speed internet) would be the fix to allow people to start pulling the plug permanently on POTS.

It seems paying the 522 fee would be cheaper than keeping the landline phone....

Or... I think if you purchase a second fax line, at 9.99 a month, you can plug your receiver into the line 2 port on the vonage box and dial out. That's still got to be cheaper than keeping a land line, and it gives you a second line to boot.

Ide go for their dirt cheap plan.. its like less than 20 bucks and you have like 500 minutes... if that damn thing stays on more than 500 minutes in a month dish should start payin my phone bill....:)

Contrary to what you have heard, I've heard that if you tell E* that you DON'T have a landline & are cell-only, they can & will put an option on your account, so that you DON'T get billed the $5 additional on the dual-tuner receivers, even though it doesn't have a landline connnection. As far as PPV, you can order those on the website at no extra charge.
At the worse case, I bet if you called E* & threatened to cancel your service, (since you are on a no-committment plan) they will fix it like I said above, so you don't get dinged the $5. This is going to only get worse for them, as more & more people start ditching their landlines for cell phones - they have to know that people will NOT tolerate being penalized just for NOT having a landline, & many will just go back to cable, who does NOT require phone service. ;) ;)

dishrich said:
Contrary to what you have heard, I've heard that if you tell E* that you DON'T have a landline & are cell-only, they can & will put an option on your account, so that you DON'T get billed the $5 additional on the dual-tuner receivers, even though it doesn't have a landline connnection.

I told them that was my situation when I ordered mine...they said "no problem" to no landline, but that I had to pay the fee.

Try Packet8

I dumped my phone line for VoIP sevice from Packet8.net. It is less expensive than vonage and seems to have no trouble with the Dish Receivers. I highly recommend it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)