removing diplexer

jhogue@hrtc.net

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 14, 2004
Indiana
How would I run direct feeds for ota and satellite. I know I can connect a cable to the ota and a different cable to the dish. But when it comes to the stb do I take off the diplexer off the back and which inputs do I connect to.

Yes, detach the diplexer (make sure to unlock it by rotating a small knob) and you will see two connectors: one for the dish and one for the OTA.
See pictures in the FAQ.

Yes, remove the diplexer. You will see two standard connectors for coax cables. One of them is clearly labeled as the satellite connection, with a satellite icon. The other one is the OTA connection. Check out Voom.com for equipment information. They are PDF files, and provide limited information--but better than nothing.

Thanks for the info. I had a dish network system before I had voom and I had 2 receivers. The voom installer left both cables installed but hooked up one. He told me I could split the signals if I wanted but I forgot to ask him about how to do the stb. We have been having some pretty decent showers and my sat signal has dropped to 86-87 % a couple of times. So I thought that might help.

The 86/87 signal strength is a downer, but having seperate lines for satellite and OTA can save your evening by allowing you to switch to OTA during storms.

Some people have received upgraded dishes (meaning bigger) when they have notified Voom of rain fade problems. Seems that a larger dish has a better chance to combat rain fade. Might be worth a try. Good luck.

One other thing to keep in mind when removing diplexers: if you have an amplified antenna, it is most likely powered from the STB through the diplexer. If you run a separate line you will need to install a standalone power supply (power inserter) in that case.

The Stone Man said:
If we were in a duel, I'd be a dead man.
No, Stone Man. I wouldn't shoot you! :D

Ilya said:
One other thing to keep in mind when removing diplexers: if you have an amplified antenna, it is most likely powered from the STB through the diplexer. If you run a separate line you will need to install a standalone power supply (power inserter) in that case.

No, Stone Man. I wouldn't shoot you! :D

I was just reading that on the faq thread. Is the power inserter something I can buy at the local Radioshack or do I have to order it. I have the sensar II.

Also, I am torn about calling Voom trying to get a bigger dish with the new eliptical dishes and dvr coming out soon. I would hate for them to pay for a service call and then in a few months have to pay for another. What would you guys do.

Here is what Winegard recommends for Sensar II:

PS-9370

Also, I am torn about calling Voom trying to get a bigger dish with the new eliptical dishes and dvr coming out soon. I would hate for them to pay for a service call and then in a few months have to pay for another. What would you guys do.
I am not getting rain/snow fade too often, so I'll wait for the new (dual-satellite) dish.

Radio Shack is an excellent choice for 'odds and ends' since they will take anything back without question. They usually have pretty good staff also.

If the rain fade is bothersome, I'd let Voom know. They want to fix what is wrong. If you can live with the problem until they announce their intentions about a larger dish, then go ahead and wait. I would at least let them know about the problem, because you don't know what the elliptical dish policy is going to be, and NOW is when you are having a reception problem.

I had a small OTA problem, and couldn't get 1 local channel. I lived with that for a couple of months, and then called Voom. They had a guy out here about three days later, and he installed a new antenna and I got all the locals. I was able to post a success story about good customer service. Maybe you will be able to do the same. If you at least let them know about, they can attempt to fix it. Some other guys have bypassed customer service and gone out and bought their own dish--so that's another option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)