Rename Channel = No TP Info in Channel Guide.

upnatm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
North-East Lake Superior
I'm using the AZBox Premium-HD, with firmware version 5302.

After scanning in a TP, I commonly rename the channels so they are easily recognized in the channel guide.

The result, in many cases, is I no longer see any TP info for those particular channels, in the slot at the bottom of the guide. Also, when returning to the guide, the highlighted channel will be the one at the top of the list rather the the one I was just viewing.

Is there a fix or workaround for this? I find that info very useful if I'm going into the Guide or Setup menu, from viewing one of those channels.

Thanks.

I'm using the AZBox Premium-HD, with firmware version 5302.

After scanning in a TP, I commonly rename the channels so they are easily recognized in the channel guide.

The result, in many cases, is I no longer see any TP info for those particular channels, in the slot at the bottom of the guide. Also, when returning to the guide, the highlighted channel will be the one at the top of the list rather the the one I was just viewing.

Is there a fix or workaround for this? I find that info very useful if I'm going into the Guide or Setup menu, from viewing one of those channels.

Thanks.

I posted about this (and the easy workaround, which will also recover those that you have re-named and are screwed up) in the thread on 5303 firmware, see:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/246419-new-0-9-5303-fiwmware-3.html#post2483691

Thanks Radar,

This editor, is it in the AZBox menu somewhere?, or is "MazEdit" what you speak of? I downloaded "ToolBox" a while back, and
just tried installing it. It installs in Spanish, but won't initialize when clicking the icon.

There, I just installed Maz-3 and having a look see. I think what I need to do now, is figger out how to network 'tween my PC and the box.

Sorry if my noobieness is showing, but I haven't done a great deal with my AZ P-HD since I got it last summer, other than TP mods
and scanning. I've really only just "scratched it's surface". lol

I've got a copy of your A to Z User's Guide opened to see what's involved with network setup.
I just saw a reference to FileZilla, something else to learn-up-on.

Well it's supper time now, to be followed with an evening of TV browsing. I'll pick this up again when the
brain ain't so bogged down.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Keith,

I had this thread opened for so long that I didn't see your post!

I just read thru at the link you provided, I'll try that renaming method later, once the wifey peels her eyes off the TV for the night. :p

Thanks.

Renaming a channel can be done using MaZ.
First make sure your settings in the Azbox under Network Services are all enabled
After you open Maz
Fill in the ip info for your azbox
FTP Port =21
TelNet Port = 23
Login = root (all lower case)
Password = azbox (all lower case)
Under Options: (I use Office 2003 classic)
Language: English
Then click on connect, once connected to azbox press the Channel List Icon then the green down arrow on the top of the box on the left of your Maz screen.
Find the channel you want to rename and right click on it and use the Edit Channel function.
Once you rename the channel press Accept.

Now at this point you can save the list to your computer and leave the Maz program.
Then open up the ACC program
In the ACC program go to connections and set up for your Azbox. Just like what you did for Maz.
Once that is done go to Tools-2
Press "Send to Azbox"
Then find the channel list you just saved to your computer.
You want to use only the "all_channel.dat" file and send that to your azbox.
The Azbox will then re-boot.
This will send it to your Azbox and also to the back-up directory which will ensure that channel is renamed for you no matter what.
After a couple of times the procedure is very quick and seamless.

Hi Stargaze,

Nice walk-through, but I'm not familiar with this "ACC" program you mention. It must
be in the "ToolBox" that wouldn't open for me. I'll have a look around to find a good
English copy of it. Perhaps you have a link to it?

Keith, I tried your method in PID edit, and now the channel info re-appears like I wanted. Thanks!
Radar, this PID editor must have been what you mentioned earlier, Thanks too!

At first, I was a little shy of MAZ, but after using it for a bit, I'm sure I'll be using it a whole lot more!

Now, while I'm here, I'd like some advice on my 112Gb internal HDD.

I haven't made any recordings, but there was about 82Mb of recorded material in it
when I first got the AZBox P-HD. (2 files, 80Mb & 2Mb)

MAZ shows the HDD to be 26% used, and the AZBox settings menu shows 11Gb used (about 10%).

Will using "TimeShift" fill up the HDD? That's about all I've been doing with it.

And, am I asking for trouble by Formatting this HDD?

Another thing I'd like to do (later), is wipe the box clean and restart it like new, but
not until I know how to restore my hard-gained satellite and channel lists!
Radar, your AtoZ guides will be very important to me then!

Thanks again for the help guys! Cheers.

Hi Stargaze,

Nice walk-through, but I'm not familiar with this "ACC" program you mention. It must
be in the "ToolBox" that wouldn't open for me. I'll have a look around to find a good
English copy of it. Perhaps you have a link to it?

Keith, I tried your method in PID edit, and now the channel info re-appears like I wanted. Thanks!
Radar, this PID editor must have been what you mentioned earlier, Thanks too!

At first, I was a little shy of MAZ, but after using it for a bit, I'm sure I'll be using it a whole lot more!

Now, while I'm here, I'd like some advice on my 112Gb internal HDD.

I haven't made any recordings, but there was about 82Mb of recorded material in it
when I first got the AZBox P-HD. (2 files, 80Mb & 2Mb)

MAZ shows the HDD to be 26% used, and the AZBox settings menu shows 11Gb used (about 10%).

Will using "TimeShift" fill up the HDD? That's about all I've been doing with it.

And, am I asking for trouble by Formatting this HDD?

Another thing I'd like to do (later), is wipe the box clean and restart it like new, but
not until I know how to restore my hard-gained satellite and channel lists!
Radar, your AtoZ guides will be very important to me then!

Thanks again for the help guys! Cheers.

If you go to the sticky section here you will find the Az-Users Guide I have posted. In the guide there is a page near the end with some links for the ACC stand-alone program which I have uploaded on the web.
You may like to view the Question & Answer guide also. The information in them is from Az Users from around the globe, I just gathered it together and put in one place to make it easier for people.

Now if your wanting to clean up the satellite/channel list there are instructions in the user guide for that process also, but it is very detailed and can make your head spin if your not used to it. However it works great once it is completed.
If your in North America then using the links in the guide will also bring you to a folder where you can download a complete North American Satellite/channel list already made up which could save you loads of time. You will need to make specific changes for DiSEqC settings for your particular setup but the ACC program is what you definitely need here once you have it right so it can set it into both directories of the Azbox.

As far as your hard drive, depends on if you wanted to save the material on it or not. If not then let the Azbox format the drive and give it a whirl.

Upnatm,

I was referring to the editor that StarGaze explained. Which is MaZEdit and also the AZBox Control Center or ACC (current versions: MaZEdit 3.2.0.0 and ACC 1.1).

Make sure that you always use the ACC program to send your channel list back to the AZBox. This program performs certain duties that other programs do not.
Namely that it locates a back-up file within the AZBox and ensures that specific information is updated there to reflect your changes in the working file.
If that back-up file is not addressed, quirky behaviors start to develop over time.

RADAR

I was referring to the editor that StarGaze explained. Which is MaZEdit and also the AZBox Control Center or ACC (current versions: MaZEdit 3.2.0.0 and ACC 1.1).

Of course that is only if you can get the programs to work flawlessly on your system (which I can't, of course)!

Advance Scan/PID Edit works well for me, and the few times that I have had to re-name a channel are rare (but I always check out the channel list editing with each firmware version I try, along with test recording of all the various channels).

If worse comes to worse, I always have a back-up, which is editing the all_channel.dat file in a hex editor (not for the faint of heart LOL!).

Keith,
Many people who had problems using earlier versions of Maz reported that deleting it entirely from their PC then installing Maz 3.2 has worked for them. I have a zipped copy on the web at the links page in the Azguide if you need it.
The last time I used a hex editor was back in 95/96 when channels were just beginning to change over from analog to digital.

Keith,
Many people who had problems using earlier versions of Maz reported that deleting it entirely from their PC then installing Maz 3.2 has worked for them. I have a zipped copy on the web at the links page in the Azguide if you need it.
The last time I used a hex editor was back in 95/96 when channels were just beginning to change over from analog to digital.

It is not Maz that won't work on my system, but ACC that won't (my system is too "old" for it). Maz I only use to telnet (I use a different program, WS_FTP SE to FTP).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts