Replacement TV recommendations?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

i2amsam

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
NJ
I have a Dish Hopper with Sling; 1 Super Joey, and 2 (regular) Joeys. If it matters (probably not) we have two dishes/receivers on the system. It is time to replace the TVs attached to these tuners (past time, in some cases :) The Hopper is in the master BR with a smallish Vizio LCD that now has some pretty impressive screen burn. The other two Joeys are each in a guest BR with older LCD TVs that were arguably inadequate (very small) from the get go. The LR TV is an older 44" RCA on the Super Joey that requires its own independent remote (!). I figure I can fit a 50 -55" in the LR. That is on a corner cabinet; I am constrained by that arrangement from going larger (angle of viewing is also of some concern there). The BRs would probably be adequately served by the next smaller size class TVs, but since those are on dresser-top mounts, I have more flexibility. I did already do some research on general TV recommendations for 2021: the CNET review guy likes TCL 6s, 5s, & 4s for value (I am value oriented myself :) with some VIsios and Samsungs falling in just behind the TCLs. All of which is well and good, but I'm not sure how well his criteria (mostly subjective/unstated) fit my needs (I'm also unsure if there is currently enough variety in available features that this makes any difference). First, any feature that doesn't enhance Dish or DIsh/DVR viewing, or actually impairs some DIsh function, is unneeded/unwanted. My internet bandwidth here is constrained (768k down, half that up) to the point that Netflix/Roku, et al, is not a consideration. Neither do I have any interest in voice operation, whether local, or of the Alexa (connected) type. In fact, I insist that I be able to permanently disable (or otherwise render nonfunctional) any Alexa-class interactive component due to privacy concerns. I'm guessing that I should probably jump on my faithful nag Rocinante and go joust some windmills now :) So, did anyone stay awake enough through this missive to point me in a fruitful direction for TV selection (or to point out to me just how f****d I really am on this quest)? Thanks in advance for your insights.

I have a Dish Hopper with Sling; 1 Super Joey, and 2 (regular) Joeys. If it matters (probably not) we have two dishes/receivers on the system. It is time to replace the TVs attached to these tuners (past time, in some cases :) The Hopper is in the master BR with a smallish Vizio LCD that now has some pretty impressive screen burn. The other two Joeys are each in a guest BR with older LCD TVs that were arguably inadequate (very small) from the get go. The LR TV is an older 44" RCA on the Super Joey that requires its own independent remote (!). I figure I can fit a 50 -55" in the LR. That is on a corner cabinet; I am constrained by that arrangement from going larger (angle of viewing is also of some concern there). The BRs would probably be adequately served by the next smaller size class TVs, but since those are on dresser-top mounts, I have more flexibility. I did already do some research on general TV recommendations for 2021: the CNET review guy likes TCL 6s, 5s, & 4s for value (I am value oriented myself :) with some VIsios and Samsungs falling in just behind the TCLs. All of which is well and good, but I'm not sure how well his criteria (mostly subjective/unstated) fit my needs (I'm also unsure if there is currently enough variety in available features that this makes any difference). First, any feature that doesn't enhance Dish or DIsh/DVR viewing, or actually impairs some DIsh function, is unneeded/unwanted. My internet bandwidth here is constrained (768k down, half that up) to the point that Netflix/Roku, et al, is not a consideration. Neither do I have any interest in voice operation, whether local, or of the Alexa (connected) type. In fact, I insist that I be able to permanently disable (or otherwise render nonfunctional) any Alexa-class interactive component due to privacy concerns. I'm guessing that I should probably jump on my faithful nag Rocinante and go joust some windmills now :) So, did anyone stay awake enough through this missive to point me in a fruitful direction for TV selection (or to point out to me just how f****d I really am on this quest)? Thanks in advance for your insights.
You can't go wrong with Vizio or Samsung. I have both. So if you want to buy American, go Vizio. Otherwise, I would go with Samsung.

Reactions: c-spand
i still have 42"in bedroom was main tv from 2014 works like a Rolex. And upgraded main room to 58" Vizio. Once you figure internet connection and download updates works great.

Only you know the quality and size of a tv you want. Things to check. You need to know what kinds of imputs you need and if it has a tuner for an antenna ect. I saw a visio once that I found didn,t have a tuner for antenna tv. It is a lot easier to do a little research to get an idea what you want. Good websites are Amazon, and other websites that sell tv sets as they have a good info about features. 50 inch and below tv sets are preety cheap now.

You will agree that everybody’s opinion regarding tv purchase is going to vary. Good old principle: how much you are willing to spend and what your expectations/desires are. I am like you, a value customer. I am also reading so often that so called experts are salivating over TLC brand. Well, initially during tests, perhaps. what happens few years down the road is very important. There is no way of telling. Even great TVs may die or cost too much to repair before a reasonable time expires.
( I expect a solid 8 good years from a tv. 10 better.). If you are close to Costco and a member, check what they have. If you use their credit card, your warranty is 5 years. To me, that’s incredible. Their web site ships items to a nearby store free. Return policy is great.
My 7 year old 70” Vizio is slowly dying. A dark spot (almost top half of a basketball) comes to the bottom of a screen, stays few hours or days.It disappears for few days and on and on.. This started happening 3 years after purchase. checked internet. Buyers are complaining. Apparently, Vizio used a defective part. They replaced them free within first year. They offered a $300 voucher for a new Vizio.. I passed. Patiently waiting for my tv to get worse before I replace it. What am I looking at? Samsung or LG. Maybe Sony. I will decide how much I am willing to spend. It has to be same size, 70”. At least 3 hdmi inputs. Obscure names , TCL, Westinghouse,etc. I am not confident about their reliability. Good luck..

(I am value oriented myself
2 cents hereby provided: I was looking for a TV for my home office. I decided to try the onn. 43" 4K HDR Roku TV from W-mart, model 100012584, $168. I liked it so much I upgraded my Samsung 59" plasma to the onn. 65" 4K HDR Roku TV, model 100012587, $398. I like both of them. If you ever want to stream, you've got a built-in 4K Roku device. They support HDR in case that ever matters. The user interface is easy to use. There is a companion app that will allow very intense tweakage of advanced picture settings if you're inclined to calibrate. The built-in ATSC tuner is as good as I've seen on any other TV, and using that tuner provides a high-capability channel guide. Each has VESA mounts which I have used to put on a Hemudu swivel base instead of the supplied feet. 3 HDMI inputs. 2 year warranty. My Samsung 59 has been repurposed to the guest room with a 4k Joey, so if I miss it, it's close by.

The Vizio does have antenna tv tuner. Another good question is if you do use a antenna there is a newer tuner that can get the new 4K OTA. Look at specs for ATSC 3.0. And the bigger you get the less longevity from what i read. I bought mine at Costco on sale and it came with automatic 2 year costco warranty at no charge.

ATSC 3.0​

I've a several year old LG OLED. For my money (and these are a bit pricey) nobody has a better picture at any cost. Check out Costco or Video Only.

Reactions: loubon
Since your primary feed is Dish you will probably want a TV that does a good job upscaling the picture on at least your main TV, the "name" brands are definitely better at taking a 720P/1080i feed and upscaling to 4K. In order SONY then LG then Samsung do the best job upscaling to 4K. I would look at a 55" 950h for your main room, the 900h is an option but the 950h has a better picture and upscales better than the 900h. For your bedrooms you will probably be less critical of the picture so the purchase of a TCL 5-series or Hisense 6750 would probably be perfect. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

Reactions: Jimbo
The Vizio does have antenna tv tuner. Another good question is if you do use a antenna there is a newer tuner that can get the new 4K OTA. Look at specs for ATSC 3.0. And the bigger you get the less longevity from what i read. I bought mine at Costco on sale and it came with automatic 2 year costco warranty at no charge.

ATSC 3.0

To make my post clear I didn,t say that all vizio tv,s don,t have an off air tuner. I looked at a visio that didn,t have a tuner. I thought the tv was ok And I just about bought it. I mostly watch off air tv and some roku ect. I had read that if off air is important to you that you better check to see if it does have a tuner. That was a couple years ago. I have a 67 inch 13 year old tv that still works well so got one of those new homerun tuners and I still havn,t got any ATSC 3.0 yet. If I was to get a new tv I would buy a 75inch sony 900h with the 3.0 tuner already in the tv. So decided to keep with the 13 year tv I already have a while longer till more afordable models become available.

OK. A few months ago, I did considerable research and in store testing. I went with a Sony 900 series. Better features than Samsung. OLEDs looked better, but will have a shorter lifespan, especially in blue. This, from a former OLED fan. The technology just hasn’t worked out. It’s been superseded. It will never reach the point where it is better, cheaper and longer lasting

Sony has good years, and bad. They are on a good run. But aren’t the cheapest. If you want the cheapest, go to Costco.

Sony seems to do the best upscaling these days. I almost went with a Samsung QLED, but it bloomed and the colors were wrong.

I expect at least ten years out of my Sony UHD TV. It might outlive me.

OK. A few months ago, I did considerable research and in store testing. I went with a Sony 900 series. Better features than Samsung. OLEDs looked better, but will have a shorter lifespan, especially in blue. This, from a former OLED fan. The technology just hasn’t worked out. It’s been superseded. It will never reach the point where it is better, cheaper and longer lasting

Sony has good years, and bad. They are on a good run. But aren’t the cheapest. If you want the cheapest, go to Costco.

Sony seems to do the best upscaling these days. I almost went with a Samsung QLED, but it bloomed and the colors were wrong.

I bought a 2017 model 55" LG OLED from Best Buy in Nov 2017. Good thing I got the warranty plan. Developed severe burn in issue and was condemned in Mar 2019. So got a free hi end 55" LG LED TV and moved the OLED to our bedroom. No more OLEDs for me for right now at least.

Reactions: navychop

I went with the Sony OLED A8, picture is phenomenal ... the Sony processor is the best in the market .
Black levels are great, as well as the Pioneer Elite that it replaced ...

Then again, the High End Sony's are expensive, not for everyone ... well worth it.

I don't know about longevity as this one is an '18, but looks great so far.

I don't know what your referring to saying the technology hasn't worked out though.

Samsung was the one with the Blue issue ...

You are correct that Sony had a range of not as good as thier reputation for awhile, but thats in the past from what I have seen ... at that time they were bringing out way too many different models (to compete with lower ends I think) .... that was around '07 ish, I bought the Pioneer Elite back then instead of a Sony ... That Pioneer Elite is still going strong at a friends place.

Can't go wrong with the Sony Oleds (A8 and A9 as well) , but like mentioned, they cost more than some others.

https://phenomenalwoman.us/

Reactions: olds403
The Sony XBR900H series will support the Nextgen (ATSC 3.0) broadcasts. Currently Nextgen broadcasts don’t offer much improvement over the existing ATSC 1.0 broadcasts. But ATSC 1.0 broadcasts can be retired after 5 years from the start of the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts.
ATSC 3.0 has the potential to show 4K programming since the compression is much higher. Also less multipath. Plus it allows connectivity to the internet to merge antenna and internet content.

If I were buying a new TV I would want it to be capable of receiving ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. Again currently ATSC 3.0 broadcasts provide no advantage but in the future they will.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

As someone who sees gazillions of TV's every year, lol, I agree. Sony, to me, is on top right now. Just from what I've seen, I love the feature and I love the build. They just "feel" top shelf.

I’d rather have a separate off board ATSC 3 STB. That technology will change and improve, too.

But could it develop that certain features of ATSC 3 require integration into the TV? DK.

I expect “the powers that be” will rig ATSC 3 such that it will be unappealing to me, given the costs they are going to pile onto it. Only a base channel need be free, and I doubt that will have much. I watch very little OTA anyway.

OLED was supposed to become cheaper, as well as better, than LCD or any other technology (well, maybe not OLET, but the unicorns haven’t delivered on that yet, and might never). It was expected to be ink jet printed to any size and flexibility. It would use direct emitting RBG elements, as Samsung tried.

Everyone has blue lifetime and fade problems. The extent has been lessened, but it’s still there. Non Samsung OLED TVs get around it by using multiple colors per pixel, producing “white.” Then they can use the usual color filtering. This is a kluge, but it works. Remember, CRTs were a kludge on a kludge on a kludge.

Reactions: charlesrshell
How you watch TV should be considered. If you watch a lot in daytime or a brightly lit room, a Samsung QLED will give you a much brighter picture than OLED and be very close in sharpness , color and wide angle viewing.

Some very good answers here, but also few not recognizing the limitations of my signal, which I'll take the blame for. I have no broadcast towers anywhere near, so antenna doesn't matter. I also have insufficient internet bandwidth to do any streaming. For better or worse I'm stuck with what is beamed down to the DISH. I was hoping to identify some features that I didn't need because of those limitations. However, I expect that this is such a commodity market that the differences between feature sets are pretty minimal from TV to TV. Anyway, thanks much for the replies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts