Request for Eastern Arc speculation

voyagerbob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
I've read a few things about the possibility of the Eastern Arc coming on-line in the next few months. Others can add whatever speculations or questions they have. I have one specific in mind, I would like people to speculate on.

I lease two 622's and own three 322's. My question is, if I have the opportunity to have an MPEG-4 only service will I be required to have all MPEG-4 recievers or will I be able to point my 622''s at the "Eastern Arc" and keep my 322's pointed at 110/119 as they are now? Or will I be required to either stick with what I have now or upgrade all of my 322's to MGEG-4 receivers? Hard to do since I've already hit the 4 tuner lease max.

Another question that comes to mind is will everything be mirrored at an MPEG-4 only service or will some things be left out, I especially am interested in the Superstations,. I'm 99.9999% sure the NPS distants won't be.

I'm curious as to what others think will happen. Thanks for any comments.

Voyagerbob

I think they'll keep 110/119 for the MPEG2 receivers. It simply costs too much at this point in time to swap all of them out. MPEG4 capable receivers will have a choice in the matter so if Eastern Arc comes online, I imagine you should be able to favor it over the 110/119.

Scott has not released the Eastern Arc thread from the Pub yet. I think pub members should not comment until he has. Some information is out there. I just think we should follow Scott's lead until he puts it into a pulic forum.

We have publicly talked about the Eastern Arc on a past Podcast. So its o.k. to talk about it publicly. Just don't expect me to talk about it much in public as I don't want to blow my contacts.

Since Scott give us the ok.:up

I wonder if good ole Chuck will mention it on Charlie Chat Monday week.;)

" Source: SES AMERICOM"

AMC-14 is an advanced, high-powered Ku-band BSS satellite, designed for multiple missions to operate across the orbital arc from 61 to 119 degrees West. As the third satellite dedicated to AMERICOM2Home®, the spacecraft has been optimized to provide Direct-to-Home video services. After the launch, SES AMERICOM will complete the testing of all spacecraft systems and ready the satellite for continental U.S. service from 61.5 degrees West by EchoStar Corporation (EchoStar).

Does this imply I will need to repoint my 129 (dish 500) to 61.5 or
will my other 110/119 dish work for the new MPEG-4 service ?

Voyager...:

I think it's likely to be one service or the other. For some number of months, you will likely best be a customer for the current (or "old") service. We should know something in May. Or maybe June. Hopefully, not in Dish "soon." ;)

VJ...:

You won't necessarily want to repoint. Maybe there will be a "Western Arc" service offered a few months later. I'm sure much is riding on successful satellite launches.