Required Dish Size For KU in New Jersey

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcardani

Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Southern NJ
Hi,

What is the required Fortec Star KU band dish size for my location in Southern NJ. I am interested in mainly wildfeeds so low SR newsgathering, and high SR HD (including DVB-S2).

I plan on buying a Fortec Star dish and STAB HH100 or 120 motor with Invacom LNB.

What are the weaker vs stronger KU band sats currently?

I have experience with C-band right now (interest dated back to early 1980's and self-installed a Winegard 101 mesh and 12' spun aluminum dishes in the past with a load of receivers and positioners).

thanks,

Joe

My general rule of thumb is that it doesn't cost much more for a 36" over a 30", and the shipping is about the same.
So, I recommend a 36" (90cm) dish every time.

Larger dishes than 36" tend to cost a -lot- more to ship.
However, if that's not a concern...
And you are planning on a larger motor and top-of-the-line LNB...
You might be a good candidate for a 1.0m or 1.2m dish.

Sadoun has a 1.0m dish on sale, and offers 1.2m, too.
At the 1.2m size, I'd also consider the GeoSatPro 1.2m dish.

I'll leave it to those with 1.0 and 1.2m dishes to discuss whether it's overkill or not. ;)

Hi Anole,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Looks like I will go with the 1 meter dish unless anyone out there thinks that that would not work well in my location for what I want to receive.

thanks,

Joe

I'M in chicago and a 90 cm works great. If you want extra insurance, then go with a 1.2 meter. Im fond of the 1.2 meter because you can do C band also with a scaler ring. It wont get all cband but it will pick up the strong stuff.

Hi,

the 1.2 meter from GeoSatPro sounds ideal since I should be able to receive some of the stronger C-band signals. It appears that the dish has an optional bracket to mount the c/ku dual feed. Pictures show the scaler ring removed when mounted to the 1.2 meter offset. Would the scaler improve adjacent transponder interference since this dish is not 2 degree spacing compliant?

I would love to be able to receive the NASA mux on AMC-6 since they also have program 105 in HD (occasional view). It appears that there are no C-band sats anywhere near it, so two degree spacing is N/A. Based on the charts, EIRP to my location is better than 41 DB. It appears that this would be sufficient for reception.

Can anyone comment on this dish and which C-band sats would it best receive? Based on previous comments, since this is a 1.2 meter the KU sats should be received great.

thanks,

Joe

Here in north central New Jersey I haven't been able to get the NASA mux with a GeoSatPro 1.2 and GeoSat C/KU LNB. Thanks to Brotherhood I was able to get a conical scalar ring which helped get a few more C band signals, but still no NASA :(

I can say that the GeoSatPro 1.2 gets just about any KU signal up there with outstanding signal strength and quality.

NASA is hard for me t get in Minnesota with a 6 footer...the other channels on there are just fine

Hi,

Based on what Iceberg said above, I will be going for a KU only motorized solution (since NASA will not be received by the 1.2 meter offset). Then use a separate 6' prime focus for my C-band targets.

For the C-band side, a 6' would be the largest I can put in the backyard currently. I am thinking initially using a fixed patio/ring mount until I can figure the best location to perm mount it on a polar mount.

As for the 6' and NASA mux, is there a chance for reliable reception?

thanks,

Joe

sure its reliable. I have 2 6 foot dishes. One good one and one "not so good" (fell off the table I had it on 3 times...the table was to clear the roof for line of sight)

The good dish I had NASA very reliably along with 3 CW affiliates and a news type channel

The "not so good" dish I get NASA so-so (weak signal but stable) and the others above fine

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)