Reset options - Factory vs Master vs Partial Reset

DCUNY

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Rochester, NY
Hello,
I searched for this in the forum and didn't find anything.

I'm doing some troubleshooting and don't understand what happens with these different reset options. I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in a factory reset because I don't want to delete all of my recordings.

I can back up my timers and settings in the remote.

If I do a partial reset, what get's deleted? Same question for Master reset.

I have H3, U332 Carbon Interface.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I searched for this in the forum and didn't find anything.

I'm doing some troubleshooting and don't understand what happens with these different reset options. I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in a factory reset because I don't want to delete all of my recordings.

I can back up my timers and settings in the remote.

If I do a partial reset, what get's deleted? Same question for Master reset.

I have H3, U332 Carbon Interface.

Thanks in advance.
What is a partial reset? What is a Master reset? Do you mean a red button and pull the power cord reset?

I can't say I'm 100% sure, but I believe the "Partial" option resets everything except for timers, and does not delete recordings. Perhaps someone else can confirm!

What is a partial reset? What is a Master reset? Do you mean a red button and pull the power cord reset?
These are resets in the Diagnostic, Tools, reset To Factory Defaults screen.
IMG_0258.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
Disappointed that Dish doesn't have a pdf manual for the Hopper 3 yet, at least I can't find one on their website. Guess it's coming soon... along with the OTA adapters.

PS I found the H3 Getting Started and H3 Features Guide, but they aren't as in-depth as the older Dish manuals.

Last edited:
Thanks Bobby. Topic stater DCUNY has a good question with all these different resets. Also, what about pull the power cord reset? What does that do for you?
So far the power cord reset hasn't helped. I'm hoping one of these other resets might get rid of a corrupt setting, similar to the various setting resets on an iPhone.

Disappointed that Dish doesn't have a pdf manual for the Hopper 3 yet, at least I can't find one on their website. Guess it's coming soon... along with the OTA adapters.

PS I found the H3 Getting Started and H3 Features Guide, but they aren't as in-depth as the older Dish manuals.
Yep, I hear ya. Super exciting on the new two tuner OTA adapter coming soon.

Also, what about pull the power cord reset? What does that do for you?
"Reset" has a completely different meaning in the case of the red-button or power cord. That is simply "turn-it-off-then-back-on".

I would say that "Master reset" is the real, full deal - the description implies that the DVR will be "reset" to the way it was when first rec'd, including the LOSS of recordings and timers.

"Reset receiver to factory defaults", I'm guessing, just wipes out any setting changes that have been made. Based on the description for "Partial reset", I have no idea how it varies from "Reset receiver...".

Disappointed that Dish doesn't have a pdf manual for the Hopper 3 yet, at least I can't find one on their website.
Even if they did, I'll bet they don't go into detail with everything. This menu may not even get mentioned in a 'manual', if they made one.

I'm hoping one of these other resets might get rid of a corrupt setting, similar to the various setting resets on an iPhone.
I think you want "Reset receiver to factory defaults" or "Partial reset". To be safe, based on the brief description, I'd try "Partial reset" first. It clearly indicates that it doesn't touch DVR/timers.

I would not invoke the "Master Reset" because the description implied you may lose your reocrdings, as in losing all preferences and data, including timers and recordings. In the past with my old 722 or K, when I needed to do a full wipe of the internal HDD and reformt it and lose all other settings and data (accomplished by a series of cumbersome button sequences to fix the problem rather than RMA it--it was a method to fix problem that should NOT be used by most Dish customers), I transferred all my recordings to my external HDD, and then I went ahead with the full wipe. The wipe went well, and no more problems for years, so I transferred almost all the recordings back to the resuced HDD on the DVR and no problems with the 722 for YEARS.

My point is, you can transfer your recordings to an external HDD, then if you have to try the Master Reset as a last resort, you will not have lost any recordings, or at least the recordings you care enough to transfer. In seems you don't want the inconvinence of RMA, so after saving your recordings, give Master Reset a try. If that does not work, you can RMA the DVR and then transfer your recordings to the replacement DVR. Recordings can also be played back from the external HDD.

I have learned that if the DVR starts to behave in odds ways very frequently, I will transfer my recordings of value ASAP to the external HDD, and have had DVR failures just days after, dodging a bullit. Then it is no crying if the DVR/HDD fails; just RMA it and deal with the new one--AFTER using for a week just to confirm the replacment DVR does not have problems. Yes, replacements CAN have problems, too, usually noticeable within a day or so that replacement will have to be RMA'd, as well. However, in that may not be necessary in your case. Best of luck.

Thanks for the input so far. I decided that a master reset probably isn't a good idea since my hard drive probably isn't big enough. Until we have more details on what the reset options really mean I'll unplug the power cord and reset that way.

Try going into the Help menu and see if their is a button for resets. The HWS Help menu has a description of each button and their function.
I did find the help you suggested on the H3. It's just vague enough that I'm still undecided what to do.
Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Well, I would at least invest in an external HDD (they are affordable these days in the 2TB range) to transfer recordings and RMA the DVR, if you don't want to lose recordings. The alternative is that at some point soon, the HDD or whole DVR will FAIL, and you will HAVE to RMA it anyway--with all your recordings LOST. In any scenario, transferring to external HDD is the way to go, if you don't want to lose recordings. Otherwise, just wait for it to die. Also, you should not have to put up with the diminshed experiece. If it were me, I would transfer recordings and RMA the DVR--no matter how many replacements they need to send--until I get one that works properly.

If you do get an external HDD, ideally it must be a model that has its own external power supply. Best of luck to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)