Returning Dish Equipment

TalonDancer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I recently purchased a Hopper3 w/ Hybrid LNBF to replace an aging ViP 622. After Dish deactivated the 622 they sent me a box so I could return their equipment. After reading several threads on this subject over the years I was a little surprised when I read this section of the instructions (emphasis mine)…

Dish Return.jpg

Not only does this make it clear that I was to return the ViP622. Dish also expected me to return the Remote(s), any Switch and the LNBF. Dish thoughtfully suggested that I “Use caution if using a ladder or climbing on the roof.”!

FWIW our current Dish installation is ground mounted at our main house. I installed it and own it lock, stock and barrel. So I’m happy to return Dish’s old equipment. But I find it a little egregious for Dish to suggest that a home owner use a ladder to get onto the roof to retrieve the LNBFs that Dish installed on the cabin back in 2006 !!! Thankfully they didn’t ask me to return the dish 1000 and 500, since they make passable bird baths :)

Those instructions change, but for sure they want the remote that goes with the receiver.

The rest would depend on the changes made. That sounds more like instructions for when you cancel service.

They didn't want my old LNBFs or switches when I moved to DPP, but that may have changed with the hybrid upgrade. Maybe they need the DPP stuff for spares?

As STdog suggests “That sounds more like instructions for when you cancel service.” Dish appears to be treating me as a cancellation despite my continued Dish Welcome Pack + HBO subscription.

The reason I posted the photo of the instructions was to show others who may be returning equipment that despite the assurances that appear on this forum, Dish did (at least in my case) require me to return the 10 year old Receiver, Remote(s), Switch and LNBFs.

I use the term REQUIRE because in the upper right corner of the instructions it says in red…

“IMPORTANT: Please return all Dish equipment immediately to avoid non-return charges (up to $149 per LNBF and $299 per receiver). For your convenience, a pre-paid return shipping label has been included.” (emphasis mine).

Some time ago Dish had installed a wing dish for 61.5 (for locals), so there were two LNBFs to be retrieved from the roof of the cabin or be changed up to $298 just for the LNBFs. Maybe Dish is just bluffing or maybe not.

“IMPORTANT: Please return all Dish equipment immediately to avoid non-return charges (up to $149 per LNBF and $299 per receiver). For your convenience, a pre-paid return shipping label has been included.” (emphasis mine).
If those instructions were meant to be taken seriously, you would have to return all of your equipment, including the equipment you are still using. I would suggest that you just ignore the request to return the LNBF, and complain to Dish to get a refund if they charge you any non-returned equipment fees. (There should not be a fee for not returning the LNBF, since you are continuing your Dish service.)

Asking as all leased receivers are returned, no customer will be charged. Even if 5% return the equipment, it is a win for them.

and i think the return label also cost YOU!
Or at least that was how it used to be.

I understand that Dish was probably only trying to threaten/bully/coerce me into returning 10+ year old equipment that they have no real use for (remotes, LNBFs, etc.), along with the ViP 622 which they can refurbish. And I suspect the real reason they requested the remotes and LNBFs was to keep them off of EBay But…

I have never liked this aspect of Dish’s business model, because it is basically dishonest. The replies in this thread demonstrate that long term Dish subs know that Dish was bluffing/lying about what they would actually charge me for unreturned equipment e.g. the LNBFs. Another example is how Dish woos new customers with special deals, while treating long term subs pretty shabbily unless/until they threaten to cancel, Then they are transferred to the “retention dept.”, who bend over backwards to keep them. IMHO any business that needs a “retention dept.” is probably not treating it’s existing customers very well.

FWIW today I shipped off ALL of the equipment that Dish requested: the ViP 622, 2 remotes (one actually worked if you held it just right) and both LNBFs. I now own ALL of the remaining equipment: a Hopper 3, and a dish 1000.2 w/hybrid WA LNBF. Owning the equipment makes sense once I dropped down to the Welcome pack, because Dish starts charging for things that would be “included” if I had a “qualifying package”. For example, Dish wanted roughly $250 + $100 installation and a 2 yr contract to upgrade the ViP 622 to a Hopper 3. I purchased a new Hooper 3 & hybrid WA LNBF for only $308, with no contract and the ability to sell/donate the equipment if I choose to drop Dish tomorrow. As a result Dish lost their “leased equipment” leverage and left me PO'd with their heavy handed returned equipment procedure.

Reactions: pattykay
and i think the return label also cost YOU!
Or at least that was how it used to be.
That is only if you are completely cancelling service. There is no charge if you are returning leased equipment but continuing service. So, if you are really concerned about being charged for the return label, and if you can find a really cheap used receiver to purchase, you could activate that receiver, then deactivate all of your leased receivers and return them to Dish for free before you close your account.

Reactions: Bruno
That is only if you are completely cancelling service. There is no charge if you are returning leased equipment but continuing service. So, if you are really concerned about being charged for the return label, and if you can find a really cheap used receiver to purchase, you could activate that receiver, then deactivate all of your leased receivers and return them to Dish for free before you close your account.
Really? How much does it cost to return a receiver? I have 2 HWS and 2 Joey 1.0 that are all leased. I also have a 211 that I own for my tailgater. Could I return everything but the 211 for free THEN cancel my service?

Also, anybody had any problems with Dish claiming they did not receive a return or that it was broke when returned?

The other day Dish sent me an email acknowledging the receipt of the equipment I returned. As I expected, the email only referred to the ViP 622 (by serial number) and NOT the two LNBs or two remotes.