revised superdish plan questions

runningman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I live in albany, NY which is now going from slot 105 to 121. My questions are :
1) I was told by the E* CSR manager when i made my appointment for the superdish(type II) install that the pole should be 2 3/8". So after reading scott's superdish thread, I went to HD and installed(cemented) a 2 3/8' pole while waiting for the dec 16 install date. With the move of albany locals to 121 will i now have a type "one" dish installed? if yes,does anyone know what the diameter is and where to get a pole? can i just insert a smaller diameter pole into the 2 3/8" pole and plumb it and cement it in? comments/help???
2) I now have a model 5000 and 501. I was planning on getting a 921 or 811 and "retire" the 5000. Can someone explain to the newbie what switches I will need to purchase after the install. The switch conversations have confuse me. Is there a old thread i can read to come up to speed. Thanks for the help and clearing up some confusion.

runningman said:
1) I was told by the E* CSR manager when i made my appointment for the superdish(type II) install that the pole should be 2 3/8". So after reading scott's superdish thread, I went to HD and installed(cemented) a 2 3/8' pole while waiting for the dec 16 install date. With the move of albany locals to 121 will i now have a type "one" dish installed? if yes,does anyone know what the diameter is and where to get a pole? can i just insert a smaller diameter pole into the 2 3/8" pole and plumb it and cement it in? comments/help???
First, check with your installer now and explain what you have currently in the ground... he may have just what you need (read on).
I recall seeing a recent thread in another forum that covered just this situation and one solution was to get one of these adapters, which I guess saw a lot of use when Primestar bit the dust and many converted to another DBS service. You will still need a pole for a Type 1 SuperDish, which (I think) is 2 inch OD. A 'regular' small dish goes on a 1 5/8 inch OD pipe/mast.

You can use this Google search to find other vendors that might have it, but $5.87 from this vendor seems pretty cheap to me - or your installer may already have one laying around somewhere.

The chat transcript mentioned retrofitting 105º dishes with 121º LNBs once the 121º systems are available (and to continue installing 105º dishes for the time being). I don't see that as changing the type of dish you will be getting ... but then I'm not swami who can see all :D

JL

We use a 2" 7' long in concrete to mount dish in ground and can get them from muffler shop for about $12.00

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts