revised superdish plan questions

runningman

runningman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Nov 6, 2003
I live in albany, NY which is now going from slot 105 to 121. My questions are :
1) I was told by the E* CSR manager when i made my appointment for the superdish(type II) install that the pole should be 2 3/8". So after reading scott's superdish thread, I went to HD and installed(cemented) a 2 3/8' pole while waiting for the dec 16 install date. With the move of albany locals to 121 will i now have a type "one" dish installed? if yes,does anyone know what the diameter is and where to get a pole? can i just insert a smaller diameter pole into the 2 3/8" pole and plumb it and cement it in? comments/help???
2) I now have a model 5000 and 501. I was planning on getting a 921 or 811 and "retire" the 5000. Can someone explain to the newbie what switches I will need to purchase after the install. The switch conversations have confuse me. Is there a old thread i can read to come up to speed. Thanks for the help and clearing up some confusion.

V

video62

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
runningman said:
1) I was told by the E* CSR manager when i made my appointment for the superdish(type II) install that the pole should be 2 3/8". So after reading scott's superdish thread, I went to HD and installed(cemented) a 2 3/8' pole while waiting for the dec 16 install date. With the move of albany locals to 121 will i now have a type "one" dish installed? if yes,does anyone know what the diameter is and where to get a pole? can i just insert a smaller diameter pole into the 2 3/8" pole and plumb it and cement it in? comments/help???
First, check with your installer now and explain what you have currently in the ground... he may have just what you need (read on).
I recall seeing a recent thread in another forum that covered just this situation and one solution was to get one of these adapters, which I guess saw a lot of use when Primestar bit the dust and many converted to another DBS service. You will still need a pole for a Type 1 SuperDish, which (I think) is 2 inch OD. A 'regular' small dish goes on a 1 5/8 inch OD pipe/mast.

You can use this Google search to find other vendors that might have it, but $5.87 from this vendor seems pretty cheap to me - or your installer may already have one laying around somewhere.

J

James Long

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 24, 2003
Michiana: South of the Border
The chat transcript mentioned retrofitting 105º dishes with 121º LNBs once the 121º systems are available (and to continue installing 105º dishes for the time being). I don't see that as changing the type of dish you will be getting ... but then I'm not swami who can see all :D

JL

T

Tlewis

Jun 9, 2004
We use a 2" 7' long in concrete to mount dish in ground and can get them from muffler shop for about $12.00