RF modulator for multiple receiver setup

Treecutter

Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Hey Guy's

I am trying out something and I need your help ...Tell me if this would work..

I have made a deal with the build owner to suply sat tv to all the apartments ..

Now this is the question ...lets say that i was going to set up 50 receivers...each 1 on a different channel ...and i was going to us the buildings cable tv wire.. by the way the wires are dead nothing running though them...!! And I was to use a ASKA rfdm3 .....I think i would need 20 of them?? ....I hope ..lol ..now could i cascade all of them from rf out to rf in and so on till iI have all 50 channels working ???I realize that they are uhf ..so my channel grid would start from 14 and work its way up to 65 ...
So the end user would just have to turn on channel 14 on there uhf dial and work they way up for all the channels ???

Pleas help Thanks :confused:

I no that I am nuts for trying but what the hell

Treecutter said:
Hey Guy's

I am trying out something and I need your help ...Tell me if this would work..

I have made a deal with the build owner to suply sat tv to all the apartments ..

Now this is the question ...lets say that i was going to set up 50 receivers...each 1 on a different channel ...and i was going to us the buildings cable tv wire.. by the way the wires are dead nothing running though them...!! And I was to use a ASKA rfdm3 .....I think i would need 20 of them?? ....I hope ..lol ..now could i cascade all of them from rf out to rf in and so on till iI have all 50 channels working ???I realize that they are uhf ..so my channel grid would start from 14 and work its way up to 65 ...
So the end user would just have to turn on channel 14 on there uhf dial and work they way up for all the channels ???

Pleas help Thanks :confused:

I no that I am nuts for trying but what the hell

Why did you bump a year-and-a-half old thread to post that?

Sorry but I did not Know where to post and I saw that this thread was talking about The unit I want to use

Treecutter said:
Hey Bro relax I maid a mistake

Who said I'm not relaxed? I'm very relaxed. :D

I wish I had a maid. My house really needs to be cleaned. They charge like $90 per visit! If I'm too lazy to clean my house, why would I work to get $90 to pay them?!

I cant seem to find where to start a new thread ....and what fourm to start it in ...

You just seemed pissed that I bumped a old thread ...That's all

lol...All in good fun

Treecutter said:
I cant seem to find where to start a new thread ....and what fourm to start it in ...

You just seemed pissed that I bumped a old thread ...That's all

lol...All in good fun

Well, if it has to do with DISH equipment, this is the right forum. An easy way to start a new thread is to click the large "New Thread" button after you click "The Dish Network Forum" at the top of the page.

I split the thread off and eliminated the unecessary crap

and Chaddux...we've said it before but KNOCK OFF THE PETTY CRAP

You could have been nice and not ridicule the poster for bringing up an old thread..big whoop. I separated that thread. No harm done

Then you go after him about posting and spelling…KNOCK THAT OFF. DO THAT CRAP SOMEWHERE ELSE...NOT HERE!!

I’d loooooooove to see what you would do when I misspell something.

(Don’t push it)

Since you're supplying to "all apartments" you'll probably need to set up a commercial account (for MDU) with Dish Network for legal purposes.

On the financial side, the equipment needed could get expensive depending on what kind of quality and features you'd like to have in the distribution. But on the technical side (and not relating much to cost), it could be kept pretty simple...

My suggestion: get as many 4-channel modulators as you need for however many channels you'd like to set up. You mention 50, so 13 modulators will do but make it 14 to keep bad luck away. :D Also, even numbers make things a little nicer; but powers of 2, like 16 modulators, could make things even nicer. :)

ChannelPlus (aka OpenHouse) makes nice units, in both stereo audio output and mono audio output (but both kinds take stereo input). I have one of their "residential" quad-input mono modulators (model 5545), and one of their residential quad-input stereo modulators (model 5645) and both work very well. See my signature for more information.

With those 14 or 16 modulators, you don't need to use up every input, leave a few unused in the event one channel goes out on a unit at some in the future. Anyways, just tie the RF outputs of the modulators together using standard splitters connected in reverse. With that many modulators I'd have to do the math to see which is best, using all 2-way, all 4-way, some 8-way, etc. (accounting for the attenuation through the splitter tree). After they are all combined, you'll need an amplifier (launch amp) to re-boost the output levels back up so they can make it through the long runs and splits to each apartment.

Note, if you use residential grade equipment, you'll need to leave [at least] 1 unused channel between every channel you are outputting on. Also, depending on the quality of the entire cable structure, you'll most likely have to skip over other channels if your local broadcast stations are strong enough where you are located, to avoid ingress.

Alternatively, you can use commercial grade modulators, which usually come in 19" rackmount configurations, but those are considerably more expensive. With that higher cost, though, comes higher quality and more features. For instance, you don't have to leave 1-channel gaps between your output channels when using commercial modulators.

... I'm sure others on here can present alternate ideas that are better in one aspect or another (or just entirely better than the above plan), so keep in mind the above is just one guy's suggestion. :D

And welcome to the site, Treecutter. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)