RF to HDTV in second room

rjad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
A friend has a Dish VIP722 receiver in living room connecting to the local HDTV via HDMI. There is also a coax cable running from TV2 output to second room where there is an old TV. All work good. Now he wants to upgrade the old TV to HDTV. The HDTV he is looking at does have a coax connector marked as "ANT". The TV specs say ATSC/QAM tuner. Do you guys think if this HDTV will work in the second room? Will it be able to "see" channel 73 from the VIP722 TV2 output? If not, any other alternatives?

The output for the second TV is standard definition only. You really only have 3 choices:

1. Share the output of TV1 with TV2 (i.e. use HDMI on one TV and component on the other). They both of course have to watch the same thing at the same time.

2. Get a second receiver for TV2.

3. Wait for the 922 to finally be released. It can sling an HD signal over to another TV, essentially you would need an HD sling catcher and a network connection at TV 2. You can of course do network over powerlines or wireless to get the signal to TV2.

He's ok with watching SD on second HDTV for now. His only concern is whether the digital tuner (ATSC/QAM) for the "ANT" input of the new TV can actually tune to the analog channel 73 coming from the VIP722 TV2 output. The new HDTV doesn't have an analog tuner (NTSC).

1. Share the output of TV1 with TV2 (i.e. use HDMI on one TV and component on the other). They both of course have to watch the same thing at the same time.

The second room is on second floor, pretty far comparing to those component cables or HDMI cables that I have seen. I don't know if it is feature.
I know RG6 can run pretty much throughout the house without a problem, but I am not sure if component or HDMI cables can go that far.

The second room is on second floor, pretty far comparing to those component cables or HDMI cables that I have seen. I don't know if it is feature.
I know RG6 can run pretty much throughout the house without a problem, but I am not sure if component or HDMI cables can go that far.

I have a 75 ft cable and a 35 ft cable that work with no problem.

No NTSC no pix

He's ok with watching SD on second HDTV for now. His only concern is whether the digital tuner (ATSC/QAM) for the "ANT" input of the new TV can actually tune to the analog channel 73 coming from the VIP722 TV2 output. The new HDTV doesn't have an analog tuner (NTSC).

If it has no NTSC tuner then it will not get a picture.

If it has no NTSC tuner then it will not get a picture.
That's what he was afraid of.
Now that US has cut over to all digital TV, few if any HDTV selling today will include an analog tuner. This means the dish dual tuner TV2 output is becoming useless as is. It's pretty bad.

HDTV's are still required to have NTSC tuners as almost all cable cos. still use NTSC for analog channels, especially locals at the VHF low and high band, and they are also required to be able to receive clear QAM as well as OTA digital. Every US TV manufacturer I know of includes all FCC required tuners: NTSC, QAM (clear channels), and ATSC. So, there is nothing to worry about. NTSC and QAM tuners are part of mandate that consumers be allowed to view some analog cable channels (absolutely local stations) without having to use cable co. STB's that require fees.

That's what he was afraid of.
Now that US has cut over to all digital TV, few if any HDTV selling today will include an analog tuner. This means the dish dual tuner TV2 output is becoming useless as is. It's pretty bad.
TV2 modulated output was never intended for HDTV. I never have been able to understand why someone buys an HD set and is willing to feed it SD. He needs to use the above HDMI/Component suggestions or pony up for another HD receiver.

vip612

I'm in the same boat. I just brought an hdtv for the bedroom I currently have it hooked up to both coax (tv2) and component off (tv1) It's working ok for me now as the vip722 is right in the other room (10feet)and it's easy for me to switch if roommates wants to watch something different.

I'm moving in two weeks and the bedroom tv will now be upstairs and about 25 feet away. I do have a 25ft cable but my only fear is if someone wants to watch something diffferent I'll have to yell at them to change it too dual mode or go back down the stairs and change it myself. MAN I WISH DISH WOULD LET YOU CHANGE FROM DUAL TO SINGLE MODE WITH THE REMOTE.

Anyway I'm thinking of trading my vip722 in for two vip612. That way I will have hd in both rooms and not worry about switching the box all the time. The only advantage I could see about keeping the vip722 is that I could watch something recorded at the same time the person downstairs is watching it. Say I want to watch a movie and my roommate wanted to watch it also but I wanted to watch it in bed then we could do that but that don't happen very often now and I think I would rather have HD on the bedroom tv all the time instead of part of the time.

You can pick up a 2nd UHF remote and set it up for TV1 (a 6.3 or the newer 21.0). Then you can leave the 722 in Dual Mode, view HD from TV1(on the HDMI input) or if the need arises to have 2 channels at the same time you can watch in SD on the 2nd TV(on the modulated channel) and control it with the oririginal remote.

Ed

HDTV's are still required to have NTSC tuners as almost all cable cos. still use NTSC for analog channels, especially locals at the VHF low and high band, and they are also required to be able to receive clear QAM as well as OTA digital. Every US TV manufacturer I know of includes all FCC required tuners: NTSC, QAM (clear channels), and ATSC. So, there is nothing to worry about. NTSC and QAM tuners are part of mandate that consumers be allowed to view some analog cable channels (absolutely local stations) without having to use cable co. STB's that require fees.

The particular one that my friend wanted doesn't have NTSC analog, maybe because it is a multiple purpose display:

SAMSUNG TOC T260HD Rose Black 25.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1(1000:1) Build in TV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Sound - Retail

TV2 modulated output was never intended for HDTV. I never have been able to understand why someone buys an HD set and is willing to feed it SD. He needs to use the above HDMI/Component suggestions or pony up for another HD receiver.

He wants this HDTV set because it can be used as PC monitor and TV. It makes sense to be able to watch TV or get on computer in the same room with the same display.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG TOC T260HD Rose Black 25.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1(1000:1) Build in TV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Sound - LCD Monitors

You can pick up a 2nd UHF remote and set it up for TV1 (a 6.3 or the newer 21.0). Then you can leave the 722 in Dual Mode, view HD from TV1(on the HDMI input) or if the need arises to have 2 channels at the same time you can watch in SD on the 2nd TV(on the modulated channel) and control it with the oririginal remote.

Ed[/QUOTE

How does the UHF remote work? I was thinking of putting the vip722 in the bedroom and hooking it up with component and coax to the tv. Then running a 50ft hdmi cable to the livingroom tv from tv1 input. But then I got thinking that if it's dual mode I wouldn't be able to change the channels for tv1. Would this kit work. I would much rather run one cable (hdmi) to tv1 and keep the box in the bedroom because that is the only time I would every need to switch it from dual mode to single mode is when I'm in the bedroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)