RG6 burial ?

s10zr2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am helping a friend re do an old instillation. The installer used perfect vision rg6 cable 2 conductor with a ground. He came out of the house and buried it about 4" underground to run to the pole mounted dish. We are moving the dish due to obstructions and I am going to run a new wire. Question I have is is this cable ok to use for direct burial? Or does it have to be a direct burial cable? It is going to buried underground about 100ft from the house to the dish. I looked a the cable and it does not say burial on it anywhere. It is the standard rg6 all the installers in cincinnati use.

If you are going to open the ground do yourself a favor and put a 2" conduit in it. No plumber's ells, use sweeps. You will thank me later..... BTW, 4" is too shallow, you would be better off with 18" of cover.

You can bury regular coax without an issue. The orange coax helps identify it easier so you don't accidently cut it with a shovel or with a lawnmower.

You really should get flooded cable which has a goo inside of it to prevent water from wicking inside the cable, but again its not an issue.

Only thing I would be concerned with is that the cable is RG6 and is Dish or Directv approved.

Thanks for everyones help. The cable I will be using is dish approved from Sadoun Satellite sales. I want to run it in conduit, but it is going through an array of tree roots and conduit would suck to bury through this. I think I will just have to bury it.

If running thru Roots and rocks I would recommend using PVC Conduit.... Buy it for about $2 for 10feet. Use SWEEPS and not elbows (hardware salesperson will know)... Bury it at least 8-10 inches... 12 inches is better... Conduit will prevent damage to the cable.... Remember to call your local number before digging... should be your Utilities company.

When I buried my cable, I used 5/8" poly tubing. It will protect the cable from rocks, roots, moisture and possibly critters. My cable has been buried for ten years. If you make gentle bends the cable will slide through easily. Since it is black, the sun will warm it enough to bend, but not too sharply. It comes in 100' rolls for around $20 and you can find it at most home centers.
Tom

I am helping a friend re do an old instillation. The installer used perfect vision rg6 cable 2 conductor with a ground. He came out of the house and buried it about 4" underground to run to the pole mounted dish. We are moving the dish due to obstructions and I am going to run a new wire. Question I have is is this cable ok to use for direct burial? Or does it have to be a direct burial cable? It is going to buried underground about 100ft from the house to the dish. I looked a the cable and it does not say burial on it anywhere. It is the standard rg6 all the installers in cincinnati use.
Use it. We have been using non direct burial cable for years without any problems.

If you are going to open the ground do yourself a favor and put a 2" conduit in it. No plumber's ells, use sweeps. You will thank me later..... BTW, 4" is too shallow, you would be better off with 18" of cover.
18"? Yer a trooper. I guess you have a ditch witch at your disposal.
Trust me when I tell you that if we were required to do deep burials like that the cost would be prohibitive.
Not only would every job have to be delayed by a buried utuility locate but the cost of the installl would increase dramatically.

18"? Yer a trooper. I guess you have a ditch witch at your disposal.
Trust me when I tell you that if we were required to do deep burials like that the cost would be prohibitive.
Not only would every job have to be delayed by a buried utuility locate but the cost of the installl would increase dramatically.

Hey, I only design joint trenches for a living. Ya know, electric, gas, telephone and CATV. I am a retired telephone guy, have been for 17 years. I've got over 40 years in the business.

You might be right for the ordinary back yard install but it can really bite you or your buyer later. What is cheap today might not be so cheap later. BTW, you can rent a ditch witch for a half day for next to nothing.

Hey, I only design joint trenches for a living. Ya know, electric, gas, telephone and CATV. I am a retired telephone guy, have been for 17 years. I've got over 40 years in the business.

You might be right for the ordinary back yard install but it can really bite you or your buyer later. What is cheap today might not be so cheap later. BTW, you can rent a ditch witch for a half day for next to nothing.
perhaps. But that al; takes time. And time is money. Customers are not going to pay for the rental of a trenching machine like a ditch witch. and I am not paying for it.
So this is a moot discussion.

Bury the cable you got, it will be fine.

But the best advice is..................add another line for a S P A R E !!!

fred

to my knowledge, the orange cable, aslo has insecticide in it, or some type of chemical deterrent.
this helps keep critters from chewing on it. nevertheless, i've seen hundreds of instalations with non-burial type cable working fine after many years.

and what fredinva said
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)