richmond va

I guess you already know that they are on 129....some of the techs in that area told me that they were told NO....eventually, they will do some deal to swap the Superdish 105 for the Dish 1000.

It is my understanding that Richmond is a very small market for Dish, so when they had to choose the areas for the spotbeams, they chose Roanoke and Washington, D.C. over Richmond...due to the number of subs in the DMAs. Norfolk is off the same spotbeam as Raleigh, NC

What really sucks is that lots of people have no line of sight for 129 because it is so low.

Richmond was actually considered to be moved from a superdish to a d1000 last year. That's why it's not moving to 110. The techs have switched from superdishes to dish 1000s

Instead of a swap, maybe there really will be a "DP 500+ Repoint Kit" that will remove the SuperDish 105 and 121 LNBF clusters and replace it with a cluster for 110/118.7/119/129.

Right now, I just have a Dual LNBF for 129 duct taped to the side of the 121 cluster on my SD 121. I haven't lost HD, or the Denver locals yet. If not kit soon, I guess I'll make a permanent bracket.

Does anyone here receive 129 in Richmond, VA? What kind of signal strength do you receive?

Richmond, VA = Dominated by COMCAST
Richmond VA = MLB Nationals claim us as out home team, but neither Dish, D*, or Comcast carry MASN. When games are on ESPN they are blacked out, it's hilarity at it's finest.

Kaydigi said:
Does anyone here receive 129 in Richmond, VA? What kind of signal strength do you receive?

Richmond VA = MLB Nationals claim us as out home team, but neither Dish, D*, or Comcast carry MASN. When games are on ESPN they are blacked out, it's hilarity at it's finest.
Sure!! Signal strength is anywhere from low to mid 70s....when the D1000 is pointed correctly...there was one transponder that hit 80; I forgot which one.

miguelaqui said:
Sure!! Signal strength is anywhere from low to mid 70s....when the D1000 is pointed correctly...there was one transponder that hit 80; I forgot which one.

Thanks

Any picture breakup or pixilation?

Kaydigi said:

I feel for you guys. The DC locals are on 110 and HD LIL on 61.5 - my signal level couldn't be much better. Last year I pointed my 61.5 Dish 500 toward 129 (HD) and noticed the signal levels were much weaker...I couldn't image picking them up with a Dish 1000 in these parts - the rain fade would be terrible.

If you have a choice, I would keep the Superdish for locals on 105. If you're going the DishHD route, I would go with a 2nd Dish 500 pointed at 129, if possible, instead of a Dish 1000. I receive DC/Baltimore, Richmond and Charlotteville locals with an OTA antenna. You may wish to consider this option as well.

Finally, Cavalier TV now offers MPEG-4 IPTV video service in the Richmond area, and Verizon was just awarded a cable franchise with Henrico County. The days of being held hostage by a single cable provider are numbered.

Kaydigi said:
Thanks

Any picture breakup or pixilation?
No...but, I only know a few people with the Dish 1000....a local retailer told me that the only problem he has is when he cannot get line of sight.

As far as the suggestion to keep the locals on 105...I don't think E* will continue to rent space on 105 for just a few customers.

Yes, it is not unusual to see 61.5 in the 120's in central VA.,,I wish they had just put Richmond loclas on 61.5, however most customers will be more likely to go with a company that can do everything with one dish.

Last edited:
I am in Charlottesville Va and we are also still on 105. I see our locals are mirrored to 129. I sure hope they don't force us to move to 129 for our locals.

Todd

riffjim4069 said:
I feel for you guys. The DC locals are on 110 and HD LIL on 61.5 - my signal level couldn't be much better. Last year I pointed my 61.5 Dish 500 toward 129 (HD) and noticed the signal levels were much weaker...I couldn't image picking them up with a Dish 1000 in these parts - the rain fade would be terrible.

If you have a choice, I would keep the Superdish for locals on 105. If you're going the DishHD route, I would go with a 2nd Dish 500 pointed at 129, if possible, instead of a Dish 1000. I receive DC/Baltimore, Richmond and Charlotteville locals with an OTA antenna. You may wish to consider this option as well.

Finally, Cavalier TV now offers MPEG-4 IPTV video service in the Richmond area, and Verizon was just awarded a cable franchise with Henrico County. The days of being held hostage by a single cable provider are numbered.

Wow, I can't believe you receive all those locals via OTA. Without getting into specifics what area of Richmond do you live in?

I looked up Cavalier TV service and did a good job with the amount of channels they offer in a singal tier for the price. They say they will be offering a
DVR and HD soon. But I wonder since everything is running on a DSL what is the latency like when changing channels etc..

Kaydigi said:
Wow, I can't believe you receive all those locals via OTA. Without getting into specifics what area of Richmond do you live in?
I live in Spotsy, but have a Fredericksburg mailing address. I'm actually 4 miles closer to the Richmond broadcast towers, and 2 miles closer to the Charlottesville towers, but the FCC says I'm in the DC DMA. I use two CM-4228 bow-tie UHF antennas with matching CM-7775, low-noise (+23 gain - 2.0 noise) UHF pre-amps. This setup works pretty well in my deep-fringe area.

Since we're talking Richmond DMA, would someone venture a guess as to when we will get HD locals. I'm about 58 miles from the towers in Orange, VA. I'm guessing that's a bit of a strech to get HD OTA.

Nothing will be done until Dish finds out how Internationals work on 118.7.
105 should have been turned back to SES-Americom by now, must be the 129 complaints Also those Superdishs & phased out 1000's need some more collecting to be refabricated.

118.7, won't work for Laredo, Harlingen, Corpus Christi, New Orleans,
Tampa, Ft. Myers, Miami, & West Palm Beach Intl's, they get 121W.

Bluefield, Harrisonburg, Salisbury, Parkersburg, Wheeling, & Zanesville will probably
be the last locals added. Until Dish feels confident, the extra space on 121 & 61.5,
backs up the more important subs.
Four different satellites duplicating the same channel, shows the story.
Wasting bandwidth, not a big deal versus, swapping dishs more than once,
and the labor to do it.

riffjim4069 said:

Hah. The days of being held hostage by the cable/telecom/broadband Mafia are NEVER over :). I live less than ten miles from the Richmond city limits, and I have NO cable, telehone or hi-speed internet options. Cavalier TV is unavailable unless you live in the Verizon service area - they are not authorized to compete with any incumbent local telco except Verizon. Since my local telco is Sprint (now Embarq) I'm totally hosed. As for the locals issue, if and when Dish takes the Richmond locals off of 105, they damn sure better make good to their RVA customers and give them whatever new gear is required to continue receiving the Richmond locals.

sullivbt said:
Hah. The days of being held hostage by the cable/telecom/broadband Mafia are NEVER over :). I live less than ten miles from the Richmond city limits, and I have NO cable, telehone or hi-speed internet options.
Yep, we sometimes forget that rural America (and even the not so rural America) always gets hosed. Heck, I have three Super Wal-Mart's within 7 miles of me yet I can't even get DSL....and the only broadband player in town (Adelphia) has held us hostage for the past 6 years.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Well, with the new Dish1000.2, the 129 signal should be a bit better than now.
How is the 100.2 going to help? The problem is with elevation! I know lots of people in the Richmond area who will not have line of sight for 129!

The problem with 129W is the signal goes all over the place as the satellite drifts virtually out of control. You might have a high 70s at the moment - but give it 30 minutes and you can be in the 50s as the bird drifts with its damaged motors.

As you are on the far extreme for 129 (remember, DC HD was on 129 but it was so bad, they had to move those back to 61.5W), as the signal goes, the signal really goes - the headroom isnt there as you are shooting through more of the lower atmosphere with the low look angle and that will cause more problems in the reception.

129W is space junk and will be until replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts