mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
DailyTech - Report: RIM May Abandon BB10, Adopt Windows Phone to Survive

Exclusive: Microsoft tie-up, network sale among RIM options: sources | Reuters

One of these options is for RIM to abandon its own operating system and adopt Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had approached RIM in recent months, looking to strike a partnership similar to the one the software giant has with Nokia Oyj, the sources said. Under that partnership, Nokia will use Microsoft's latest Windows operating system on its smartphones.

In such a scenario, RIM could also look for Microsoft to buy a stake in the company and fund marketing and other expenses, the sources said. However, this option is not attractive to RIM because it would mean the end of the Waterloo, Ontario-based company's technology independence, they said.

The RIM board prefers to see through the efforts to develop the new BlackBerry 10 operating system, according to the sources.

Since BB10 is already announced delayed again until sometime next year, could BB survive long enough for BB10 to actually arrive and would there even be a real market left?

RIM and Nokia. Both were once riding high but I am not sure either isa good partner now.

If they continue to seek the consumer market they (all three) are doomed in the phone business. MS and RIM could form an alliance and go after the enterprise market and may win it back. Leave the consumer market to Android and Apple to battle it out.

If they continue to seek the consumer market they (all three) are doomed in the phone business. MS and RIM could form an alliance and go after the enterprise market and may win it back. Leave the consumer market to Android and Apple to battle it out.

Our company has gone all Android for company issued phones, pulling windows phone entirely. 2 years ago it was all blackberry. a year ago it was Android and windows phone.

I have no involvement with mobile device selection just to be clear. :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

The phone of voice for the company I am hoping makes me a job offer this week has chosen the iPhone.

I bet RIM has a major change before the end of the year. They're bleeding too bad and there's NOTHING on the horizon to make anyone believe that things will change.

In the end, the story of RIM is going to go down as something they teach students in business school as a case study of how even when you're number one in your field you can never just rest on your laurels, because eventually someone is going to kick you off your perch.

There just is no division between the consumer and business markets anymore. There are niche uses for dumb phones and phones without cameras, but that's the extent of the business phone market IMO.

I took a picture of RIMs booth at CES this year and told a friend 'bet they're not back next year' (might have even posted/said that here). I expect they'll be bought/sunk by this time next year. Like Blockbuster they couldn't adapt to a changing market and will fade into complete irrelevance just as quickly.

There just is no division between the consumer and business markets anymore. There are niche uses for dumb phones and phones without cameras, but that's the extent of the business phone market IMO.

I 100% agree and personally see the next big push will be the bring your own device to work initiative. There are now to many ways for corporations to secure their data on the device while allowing the freedom for users to pick what they would like to use.

If RIM does go to Windows, there will be nothing to distinguish them, and they'll be history. I understand they're still strong in Europe, but that may not be enough.

Don't they have the government business here because of some unique security on their phones? And won't that go away with a shift to Windows?

Yeah, their hardware has been the problem for longer than their software. They haven't been anything special for a long time, so far behind the curve I don't think there's any catching up.

The only thing worth even acquiring might be some patents, if they were to be bought out/assets purchased in eventual bankruptcy.

Need new phone with storage ... suggestions ?

jelly bean android 4.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)