Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Roku Introduces New $79 Instant Streaming Player

Netflix customers can now stream direct to their TV instantly for the new low price of $79, free shipping included. Roku also introduces the $129 Roku HD-XR model.

Saratoga, Calif. –October 27, 2009 – Roku, Inc., maker of the popular and award-winning Roku player, announced today for immediate availability two new models. The new Roku SD and Roku HD-XR expand the product lineup to three models. Now customers have a variety of features and price points ($79.99, $99.99, $129.99) to fit their needs. All players continue to deliver instant entertainment from Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX), Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) Video On Demand and MLB.TV. With today’s announcement, customers can now purchase a Roku player for as little as $79.99 at www.roku.com or www.amazon.com. For a limited time, customers purchasing through either Roku or Amazon will receive free shipping, making it even more affordable to get started with a Roku.

“We’re introducing a breakthrough price point with the launch of our Roku SD player,” Anthony Wood, founder and CEO of Roku, Inc said. “Additionally the Roku HD-XR is the first Netflix-streaming device to embed next generation 802.11n dual-band wireless connectivity, making it easier and more reliable than ever to start enjoying movies, TV shows, sports and the best online content available, all on the living room TV.”

The Roku SD player connects to the TV using the included and familiar Yellow-Red-White video/audio cable. In addition, the Roku SD player incorporates Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g) and an Ethernet port for easy broadband connectivity. With the Roku SD player, customers can stream their favorite movies and TV shows to their TV at up to DVD quality.

The Roku HD and HD-XR players feature High Definition streaming capability, connecting directly to any TV using HDMI or Component video (both products also include S-video or Composite video outputs as well). The Roku HD-XR adds the latest Wi-Fi standard, 802.11n dual-band, giving customers who have adopted this router technology improved connectivity range and better overall wireless performance between the Roku HD-XR and the home network. The Roku HD-XR also works with legacy routers and can often boost Wi-Fi range inside the house. Finally, the Roku HD-XR includes a USB port for future use.

First introduced in May 2008, the Roku player still provides the easiest, most affordable and reliable way for hundreds of thousands of Netflix customers to watch over 17,000 movies and TV shows instantly on their TV. Earlier this year Roku added Amazon Video On Demand, adding 45,000 titles to the Roku platform, including a thousand in HD. In the summer the company launched MLB.TV bringing live and on-demand baseball to the living room TV as well. All Roku customers received these automatic and free updates.

Continuing its leadership role in the over-the-top video space, Roku will launch the Roku Channel Store later this fall enabling customers to add new content channels to their Roku experience, further enhancing the value of the Roku player. The Roku Channel Store will be delivered to all Roku customers, new and existing, as an automatic and free update.

Pricing and availability
All three Roku players are available immediately at www.roku.com and www.amazon.cm and include free shipping for a limited time.

Wake me with they come up with one with one with a built in hard drive so it can download HD. Sadly, some of us seem to be stuck in the dark ages of internet connection speed availability, even when we live in a major American city.

I love my Roku! The only new feature I can see in the HDXR is wireless N which is of limited use. I have some friends who might like the SD model.

Ted

Depending on how they plan the use of the new USB connection, could be they are going to allow an external drive for downloading and watching later... They would need to encrypt the movie so it can't be copied, etc...and get netflix, amazon, etc to agree to it...

On thing I don't like about the current one, is the skip forward/backward and fast forward, etc it's not like a DVR in that sense.

Depending on how they plan the use of the new USB connection, could be they are going to allow an external drive for downloading and watching later... They would need to encrypt the movie so it can't be copied, etc...and get netflix, amazon, etc to agree to it...

On thing I don't like about the current one, is the skip forward/backward and fast forward, etc it's not like a DVR in that sense.

That would definitely require a hard drive. I don't think the Roku has anywhere near the storage needed for any kind of smooth FF or Rew.

My issue with it is that it's not cheap enough.

For $150 or less at Fry's or Amazon, I can buy a LG Blu-Ray player that will play Blu-rays, stream Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. The Roku is extremely limited. Even the WD media extender does more (like play Hulu content when placed on a LAN with a Play-on equipped PC).

They added access to the MLB online package, which was better than watching it on a laptop (if not on the road) and you can take it into the garage (wirelessly) while working on the car.

They promise more to come, but they are tight-lipped about it all. Would be nice to add hulu; currently you need a PC that has play-on and an extender or you have a HTPC in the living room. However, I heard that hulu.com is not making a profit with just commericals and will go subscription based in the future. So may be added to Roku later...

What they should do is give someone a deal where they get $79 worth of NetFlix movies with the player purchase if they sign up for NetFlix for a year or two. That would bring the business in.

For $150 or less at Fry's or Amazon, I can buy a LG Blu-Ray player that will play Blu-rays, stream Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. The Roku is extremely limited. Even the WD media extender does more (like play Hulu content when placed on a LAN with a Play-on equipped PC).

A PC, a LAN, and a WD media extender seem like a LOT more money than a $99 Roku.

Ted

I believe you'll need to get the LG BD 390 in order to get wireless, which is available on the Roku. The 390 runs about $250. The $99 Roku is good if you want or need wireless.

Does anyone use this? I have 8mps cable broadband, which seems to be sufficient for a reasonable streaming experience.

We have one and have found it to be fantastic. We have 8mbps as well, but all you really need is 4mbps to get their highest quality picture.

It is a great and very simple way to get Netflix on any TV. Setup is very, very simple.

I'd highly recommend the Roku boxes for anyone that wants Netflix/Amazon/MLB content and isn't interested in going with an HTPC or other more complex setup.

Does anyone use this? I have 8mps cable broadband, which seems to be sufficient for a reasonable streaming experience.

8mbps is more than enough. I think SD requires 1.5 megabits. Can't remember about HD.

The Roku is going to have much more than just Netflix.... lots of channels coming soon.

It would be really nice if they offered Pandora on the Roku.

Ted

According to a few sources, beta testing of new Roku firmware is underway. This will enable websites to put their content on the Roku. You'll see lots of exciting stuff in the next couple of months on the Roku. I can't say anything more ;)

Here's a nice little Tidbit... pay close attention to the screen. You'll notice the Roku channel store. From what I heard the store doesn't charge for the channels like you would think.

Web video on your TV with Roku and Mediafly - @ - butterscotch

Figured you'd be interested in this link too ;)

Roku is expected to announce new channels by the end of the year, including Flickr, Pandora, TWIT, Revision3, and more. You can see some of the new channels in this screen capture of the Revision3 show Tekzilla..........

Hacking NetFlix : Roku News: New Player & New Channels: TWIT, Revision3, Flickr, Pandora & More

6a00d83451c1bb69e20120a6006f9b970b-800wi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts