ROKU ULTRA

Howard Simmons

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
Cridersville Ohio
Hi , I have had a ROKU Ultra for about 8 months now and I don't want to sound dumb but here is my question: I have a older JVC receiver that has HDMI and Dolby Digital and DTS. Does ROKU broadcast in Dolby Digital. It shows Digital and Linear PCM. I have tried on different sites such as Amazon Prime and VUDU etc. and with same results. I have set the ROKU to recognize DD and DTS. On some older movies it shows up on the receiver as normal with the speaker channels showing DD. Also it works on my Blue Ray player as normal. The sound coming from the speakers sounds like it's DD but it isn't showing up on the receiver. Any advice would be appreciated.:what

Hi , I have had a ROKU Ultra for about 8 months now and I don't want to sound dumb but here is my question: I have a older JVC receiver that has HDMI and Dolby Digital and DTS. Does ROKU broadcast in Dolby Digital. It shows Digital and Linear PCM. I have tried on different sites such as Amazon Prime and VUDU etc. and with same results. I have set the ROKU to recognize DD and DTS. On some older movies it shows up on the receiver as normal with the speaker channels showing DD. Also it works on my Blue Ray player as normal. The sound coming from the speakers sounds like it's DD but it isn't showing up on the receiver. Any advice would be appreciated.:what

Does your receiver support DD+? That is what most streaming services tend to use to save bandwidth. Not sure how the Roku would deal with a receiver that could only do old-school DD. It might depend on the content too.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Does your receiver support DD+? That is what most streaming services tend to use to save bandwidth. Not sure how the Roku would deal with a receiver that could only do old-school DD. It might depend on the content too.
No on the DD+. The model number isRX-D412B and I got it in 2006.

I have a 2016 Ultra with optical out to an ancient (non-HDMI) Panasonic receiver in my bedroom. I set the audio output to Dolby Digital (DD+ and PCM Stereo are the other options), and I don't have any problems with getting DD 5.1 from any apps when it's available.

I have a 2016 Ultra with optical out to an ancient (non-HDMI) Panasonic receiver in my bedroom. I set the audio output to Dolby Digital (DD+ and PCM Stereo are the other options), and I don't have any problems with getting DD 5.1 from any apps when it's available.
Well mine doesn't have one. It's got an HDMI, ethernet port sd card and electric cord. I guess I'll have to live with it. It doesn't sound that bad but I love to see those little orange lights light up. :)

Howard, just for jeepers, on your Roku, go to Settings, Audio. Your Audio mode should be set to Auto (Auto (DTHD, DD, DD+, DTS)) and HDMI and S/PDIF should be set to Auto detect.

Howard, just for jeepers, on your Roku, go to Settings, Audio. Your Audio mode should be set to Auto (Auto (DTHD, DD, DD+, DTS)) and HDMI and S/PDIF should be set to Auto detect.

In my setup (optical to a non-HDMI receiver), if I set it to "Auto" and there's a DD+ stream, I don't get any audio on certain apps. I have to keep it set to DD only.

In my setup (optical to a non-HDMI receiver), if I set it to "Auto" and there's a DD+ stream, I don't get any audio on certain apps. I have to keep it set to DD only.
Interesting....One would think the Auto part would be sensing the capabilities of the AVR and send whatever is the best it can handle. If it were me, and I actually did this when I went to 4K, I’d buy a new AVR. A 14 year old AVR is obsolete in so many ways. The new AVR doesn’t have to be the most expensive out there. It just needs to do what is needed. Mine cost $550 and they can be had for much less than that.

Interesting....One would think the Auto part would be sensing the capabilities of the AVR and send whatever is the best it can handle. If it were me, and I actually did this when I went to 4K, I’d buy a new AVR. A 14 year old AVR is obsolete in so many ways. The new AVR doesn’t have to be the most expensive out there. It just needs to do what is needed. Mine cost $550 and they can be had for much less than that.

I can't remember why I had to set it up this way. It may have only been one app that wasn't playing nice with Auto. But now that I got it working fine, I'm reluctant to play around with it again.

That old AVR is part of a bedroom setup that I don't use very often for non-news/sports viewing (i.e., when I'd want the best audio). Partly because the TV (an entry-level Samsung LCD from 2008) is even more obsolete than the AVR. lol But yeah, when I finally get a 4K TV for the living room I need to seriously think about getting a new AVR too and move my entire living room setup into the bedroom.

My old, cheap Sony AVR from 2005 can do auto just fine, but my Pioneer Elite VSX-90 from 2015 sucks ass. I got fed up with fighting it and put a Yamaha YAS-207b sound bar in the living room where we do most of our TV watching. Sounds great, if not quite as good as the Pioneer.

Thank you Bobby and everyone else. Yes it's a 14 year old AVR but it's a good receiver and I was going to wait till my TV went on the fritz and I would buy them both at the same time. As far as the auto detect that's what I started out with when I got the ROKU and then went to the other settings. Like I said it sounds like it's DD but it doesn't show those little orange squares that it's coming thru. And by the way the AVR does do it's job on my Dish Hopper, just not on my ROKU.

Reactions: ncted
I just bought the new Roku 4K ultra. Very nice so far. Great picture and it has ATMOS sound. Can't complain.

has anyone noticed this strange behavior? when switching to a program, you start watching it and within a minute commercials start right in the middle for the program? It's like ROKU makes sure you watch all of the commercials. If I switched away and then come back it replays the same commercials that I just switched away from. Failed to mention this is on the Sling app. I don't see this behavior on my TV sling app just the ROKU ultra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)