Roku vs FTA Television

Status
Please reply by conversation.

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
I've been researching Ku Band FTA systems and actually planned on pulling the trigger on one when our income tax return comes in, but more and more I look at it I'm wondering if going with a Roku and getting content via the Internet wouldn't suffice just as much.

Just curious if anyone has a Roku in addition to a Ku Band FTA system and how does it compare?

Depends on what you want to watch. Roku does not really have a lot of channels, so search first and see if they have what you want to watch. Then go from there. FTA offers a LOT... LOT more channels then Roku, but if you are only looking for specific channels then ROKU might be the way to go!

I have a Logitech Revue (google TV) and I believe that is what the Roku is. I really like it and it is nice to stream internet content right on the TV, but I will be getting a FTA system shortly for the sports feeds that just don't appear to be available on the internet. I guess it would just depend on what you are looking to watch. I have never had a FTA setup before so I can't really say anything on that.

Thanks for the replies... There's actually two major categories of programming I'd like to get, one being streaming Internet-only stations like This Week in Tech (especially after May when TWiT starts 24/7 live programming), Wired, and CNet which aren't available via FTA, and the other are some of the live news feeds like AJE, CNNI, BBC, etc which aren't available via DishNetwork. PBS was another big reason I hoped to go with an FTA system, but honestly most of the PBS programs are available via the Roku (I think). Also I'm not hugely into sports, but granted we still have our Dishnetwork account I can use that for sports and OTA programming.

What I like is Roku has a SDK that allows users to create their own 'channels' based on streaming content, and people have come-up with some neat ways to get streaming content of all sorts to the Roku. It's not as diverse as the programming via FTA, but it seems there's always something new.

In the end I'd LOVE to have an FTA system setup at home because the thought of getting this content directly from the airwaves is awesome, but for the cost and setup that's involved with an FTA system I wonder if it might be simpler to just get a Roku and run with that for now until I can get enough funds to invest in a more robust FTA system (motorized dish, DVR receiver, etc).

There is one twist which makes Roku a reasonable option and that is if you run Playon software on PC on your network to stream Hulu to your Roku. Not everthing is there but Hulu does give you access to a large variety of current and older programming without the need of a DVR. We do this now and it works well. For ~100 you can get Roku/Playon which will give you access to a lot of content without montly charge. Lastly, most of the newer blu-ray players have built in streaming capabilities similar to Roku for only a few dollars more which is something you might consider.

There is one twist which makes Roku a reasonable option and that is if you run Playon software on PC on your network to stream Hulu to your Roku. Not everthing is there but Hulu does give you access to a large variety of current and older programming without the need of a DVR. We do this now and it works well. For ~100 you can get Roku/Playon which will give you access to a lot of content without montly charge. Lastly, most of the newer blu-ray players have built in streaming capabilities similar to Roku for only a few dollars more which is something you might consider.

I've seen some apps like PlayOn and others that let you stream content from a PC, but unfortunately we run Mac and Linux at home so most of these apps won't work for us. If I could find some Linux command line apps that the Roku can piggy back onto that would be nice though, and that's something I hope to get into when I get my hands on the SDK :) Might make for some fun projects.

As for a BluRay player, we do have a Sony BluRay player with lots of added content capabilities, but though it has LOTS of options most of the canned apps fall short just enough to not be very useful. For example it has a Podcast app with tons of feeds preloaded, but the interface is VERY clunky and there's no way to add your own feeds to it. Also it has Pandora, LastFM, and some other services, but there's no way to add custom feeds like to SomaFM or streaming radio stations. And there's no way to stream live television like NasaTV, AJE, etc. These are the types of content I hope the Roku can give us.

If you already have a sony blu-ray player which has online streaming (Netflix, DLNA, etc) there is little extra value to be gained by getting a Roku.

I've got 2 rokus , 2 coolsat sd recievers and 2 ota digital converter boxes , alot of good free stuff on roku , especially if you like old tv shows & movies , I use fta mostly for RTV, Tuff tv & History Ch. , but also like just playing around to see what else I can find . Use ota for local news , This & Antenna tv , The only programing I pay for is Netflix . Roku & Fta compliment each other nicely . So far all I'm mising from pay tv is Fox Sports & NFL ch. , Hoping a to get a FTA HD reciever this year and catch some wild feeds to help that need .

There is one twist which makes Roku a reasonable option and that is if you run Playon software on PC on your network to stream Hulu to your Roku.

You can get Hulu, on the Roku, without Playon. Hulu has their own "channel" for the Roku.

I have a Roku, Openbox S9 with C/Ku FTA, laptop and PC. The Roku is great for Hulu and Netflix. FTA (with S2 and HD) is really nice for fitting your schedule...shows repeat (RTV). There are movie and news channels and together it cost me less than $20 a month. The Roku XDS is cool. It gets Twit and cnet and all the tech news you can absorb.

I use titantv for a custom FTA guide and it is awesome on a laptop. I can then stream to the laptop with HDMI out to the HDTV everything I can't get any other way.

They all compliment each other well.

Depends on what you want to watch. Roku does not really have a lot of channels, so search first and see if they have what you want to watch. Then go from there. FTA offers a LOT... LOT more channels then Roku, but if you are only looking for specific channels then ROKU might be the way to go!

Roku just keeps getting better..checkout nowhere tv and crackle (new version). I am not saying u can "cut the cord" or give up fta. I am just saying everytime I look for new channels I always seem to find better ones

I have a roku also, allot of free "channels" out there, live news RTE, RT, AJE, Press, CNNi come to mind thanks to nowhereman. Note that you have to pay for Hulu on the roku. FTA system is great for RTV and sports feeds. I'm about to drop Dish after losing the AbsoluteHD package...just costs too much these days.

There are independent roku developers adding channels all the time, plus the official channels in the channel store.

OK, all this got me interested until I tried to pull up information on it. I finally got their home page loaded and finally got to the specs.... minimum internet speed of 1.2 mbps recommended 3.0 and for any active stuff: 5.0 mbps. What is this to do with FTA? and when my speed of internet is now over 56KBPS, there is a creditability gap --- FTA? And I have to load this thread to get to the next thread that might have something to do with FTA.... Is there a better place to put internet viewing as some may want this information, but some of us want FTA -- power is expensive on the generator (ok, sunlight is free) but time is always expensive.
POP

If you already have a sony blu-ray player which has online streaming (Netflix, DLNA, etc) there is little extra value to be gained by getting a Roku.

Our Sony Blu-Ray player does have Netflix, but it's VERY basic in that it only lists our Instant Queue. Maybe the Roku channel is the same, but the Netflix app on the Wii (in another room) lets us search all Netflix programming and suggests shows by genra. I hoped the Roku Netflix app would be as robust as that on the Wii, but I may be wrong. As for being DLNA compliant that I'm not sure. I do know I can't (or haven't found anyway to) add content that's not prepackaged by Sony already. So I can't add my own podcast feeds or streams from other networks (CNNi, AJE, etc). That would suit my needs if that were possible though.

Update: just checked and our BluRay player is not DLNA compliant.

What is this to do with FTA?

My big draw to FTA was the amount of content that's available, but given the Roku can offer much of the same content in addition to streaming-only content my question to the room was to see if the Roku could fit the bill instead of FTA for many, especially since my only option would be a Ku Band dish if I did run with an FTA system. For me if the Roku has everything I was looking to get from a Ku Band FTA system then it might be the cheapest and simplest solution. Granted a decent broadband connection is required which won't work for everyone, but for me that's not a problem.

Last edited:
Our Sony Blu-Ray player does have Netflix, but it's VERY basic in that it only lists our Instant Queue. Maybe the Roku channel is the same, but the Netflix app on the Wii (in another room) lets us search all Netflix programming and suggests shows by genra. I hoped the Roku Netflix app would be as robust as that on the Wii, but I may be wrong. As for being DLNA compliant that I'm not sure. I do know I can't (or haven't found anyway to) add content that's not prepackaged by Sony already. So I can't add my own podcast feeds or streams from other networks (CNNi, AJE, etc). That would suit my needs if that were possible though.

Update: just checked and our BluRay player is not DLNA compliant.

My big draw to FTA was the amount of content that's available, but given the Roku can offer much of the same content in addition to streaming-only content my question to the room was to see if the Roku could fit the bill instead of FTA for many, especially since my only option would be a Ku Band dish if I did run with an FTA system. For me if the Roku has everything I was looking to get from a Ku Band FTA system then it might be the cheapest and simplest solution. Granted a decent broadband connection is required which won't work for everyone, but for me that's not a problem.

As others have stated, comparing FTA to roku is really apples vs. oranges, they're not the same. You can usually find a blu-ray player with Netflix and DLNA for ~100 at Costco or online thru Amazon. We have both a Sony blu-ray with Netflix, DLNA, etc and Roku on the same TV. I'd say the Netflix "experience" or navigating is a little nicer with the Roku but there is no difference once you start watching. Kids prefer the Roku just because its simpler although know how to use both. Roku is not DLNA compliant which is significant limitation although you can get around it for now with the Playon private channel which is free.

Don't look at it as a "versus" situation. Look at FTA as a cheap form of additional programming. Outside of time spent investigating FTA, I have less than $50 invested in my setup. That includes a free 4 foot VSAT dish that was being disposed of by a local company, a new FTA receiver purchased off of ebay for $40 and a few dollars for a roll of used RG6 cable. I could sell the box on ebay at any time and only lose a few dollars to at worst $15. So really outside of time and a little effort you can try out FTA for a small investment that most of which can be recovered if you decide its not for you.

As others have stated, comparing FTA to roku is really apples vs. oranges, they're not the same. You can usually find a blu-ray player with Netflix and DLNA for ~100 at Costco or online thru Amazon. We have both a Sony blu-ray with Netflix, DLNA, etc and Roku on the same TV. I'd say the Netflix "experience" or navigating is a little nicer with the Roku but there is no difference once you start watching. Kids prefer the Roku just because its simpler although know how to use both. Roku is not DLNA compliant which is significant limitation although you can get around it for now with the Playon private channel which is free.

ROKU is open source with plenty of "wild feeds" in the private channel area..big big difference from the other boxes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)