Roof reshingling - reset dish ourselves?

mrsfarmer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
We are having our roof reshingled on Thursday/Friday of this week. I never gave it a thought about scheduling with DN to hook the dish back up. I just called and it can't be done until the 12th or later. Also the charge is $99!
So is this something we can do ourselves? What do we need to do and how do we go about it if we can?

Lots of people do it every day. Do you have one or two dish 500s or a 1000.2 dish? Here's some instructions:

500: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/..._and_DISH_1000+_Installation_Instructions.pdf

1000.2: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/DISH_1000%5B1%5D%5B1%5D.2_Installation_Guide_(_151255).pdf

You can use the signal meter on your receiver if you don't have a handheld signal meter. Was the dish mounted on your roof before or to the eave. I wouldn't mount to the roof unless there is no other option. Might be worth the $100 to get it done correctly and to get it peaked, but there's no harm in doing it yourself if you're up to it. The instructions make it seem harder than it really is. Your dish is already assembled, I assume, so all you have to do is reattach it to your home, set the skew and azimuth from the instructions and slowly scan left to right in small increments until you get a lock and then tighten to lock the dish in place.

If you've got a 622 or 722 you can just leave it out of whack for a few days, let it phone home, and wait for Dish to notice and give you a courtesy call. They'll schedule a repointing appointment for free that way, but you could be waiting a long time.

if you know the general peak angles and can use a level, it's pretty brainless... get it pointed relatively in the right azimuth, skew and elevation, mounted to a level mast and let the Signal Meter in the receiver software do the work for you (crank up your TV volume and open the window or use 2 phones as walkie talkies to hear it)

Or just lie to the CSR on the phone and mention nothing of the roof remodel and they will set up a service call for free usually (with some force from you)

The reason you're being charged $99 is that you admitted fault for "damaging" your equipment or altering your configuration.. which is not covered under the DHPP warranty. Most technicians don't care about what caused the problem... unless it is way more work then they are getting credit for, they will fix it.

When I had my roof done, the roofers remounted the dish properly, but it was up to me to repoint it. They had it pretty close and it took me all of about 10 minutes to do it. They left the dish all assembled and just hung it over the side of the house with all of the cables attached and just secured it so it wasn't hanging on the cables themselves. When they were done with the roofing, they put it back up pretty much right where it was.

They said they are used to dealing with satellite dishes and do it all the time.

So.... that's been my experience with roofers and dishes. :)

thanks!
The roofers plan on measuring out where it is now and hopefully can put it back right where it was. Will print out the links. I think they have done it before - they must if they do alot of roofs, we can't be the only one with a dish.

Just worried we won't have tv for more than a week! I'm ready to go buy a digital antenna on Sat. We are getting an HDTV in a week, so then Dish would have to come out to hook up the new receiver/dish.

Withdrawls :eek:

Try not to reinstall the dish on the roof! possibly a pole mount at ground level or mounting on the on the side of your house might be a better option, if u have a clear line of sight.
I hate penetrating shingles on a roof, it coulld possible leak.

Last edited:
Try not to reinstall the dish on the roof! possibly a pole mount at ground level or mounting on the on the side of your house might be a better option, if u have a clear line of sight.

Some pitch patch and a bit of silicon will make a leak very, very unlikely. Even if a bit of water does leak in... you shouldn't be mounting the dish over living space anyway....

Do not mount your dish to the side of the house. Dishnetwork does not allow wall mounts any longer. If you ever have to have a service call the Tech will have to remove it. Then you will have holes in your siding. Roof mounts if installed correctly will not leak.

Do not mount your dish to the side of the house. Dishnetwork does not allow wall mounts any longer. If you ever have to have a service call the Tech will have to remove it. Then you will have holes in your siding. Roof mounts if installed correctly will not leak.

I don't know a single tech that will remove a Dish from the side of someone's home... in fact we are given strict orders to NOT fully remove dishes so that we DON'T leave holes in someone's home....

however, your point is for the most part, helpful... a wall mount is not a good idea.

thanks!
The roofers plan on measuring out where it is now and hopefully can put it back right where it was. Will print out the links. I think they have done it before - they must if they do alot of roofs, we can't be the only one with a dish.

Just worried we won't have tv for more than a week! I'm ready to go buy a digital antenna on Sat. We are getting an HDTV in a week, so then Dish would have to come out to hook up the new receiver/dish.

Withdrawls :eek:

Your roofers won't get it right, r u kiddin?????? Call a local retailer, he may have an installer available who will do it for lot less than $99.

Wut's a digital antenna? NO SUCH THING!!! That's just mktg hype for a vhf/uhf or UHF antenna.

fred

Interesting the amount of opinion variations. "Don't do a roof mount", "Don't do a wall mount", so that basically leaves a pole mount.

A pole mount at the house I just bought would put the dish at the back of the back yard with ..... I haven't measured.... somewhere around 60 to 80 feet of cable to the house. So that means 60 to 80 feet of trenching. You guys are making an awful lot of work for me. :)

Do you just "break the sod" or do you go down deeper? Do you direct bury or put it in plastic conduit? Is 80 feet an issue? :)

sheeeeesh.... way too many options.

they got it back up on the garage roof, and it works.
Guess there wasn't anything to worry about. Sorry you all got so worked up about it!

I just finished burying conduit for my pole mounted dish. It is over 100 feet, but not by much. The best part was, that I originally thought Dish would be offering HD locals in my area, so I just ran 4 lines to the dish (which is a 1000.2 -- 3 for feeds and one to backfeed 61.5 if I ever need to). However, Dish won't be carrying my locals anytime soon, so yesterday I pulled another coax through and mounted a small UHF antenna on my dish. Now I get locals in HD also.

So personally, I'd go with the pole mount, and I'd suggest burying plastic conduit with an extra piece of rope to make it easier to pull additional wires if you ever need to. Make sure to seal it up properly, this means a box at each end thats closed. I buried mine about 3 inches deeper than the grass, but that may be overkill. Also make sure to properly "weld" all the connections of the condiut.

If thats too much digging for you, you can rent a trencher from Home Depot for about $150 for 4 hours which is more than enough to get a trench dug...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)