Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Here is a rumor I am hearing from a few seperate sources, and that rumor is XM CEO could soon be out of his position at XM.

XM has been having a lot of problems as of late, and if you have been a long time subscriber then you have probably noticed the quality of programming has deeply gone down hill over the past 2 years.

According to former XM 80's on 8 Program Director XM is more interested in selling radios then selling radio.

It was funny at XM's CES Press Conference I was standing next to Lee Abrams who is the head of XM Programming, and XM CEO Hugh Penero, I was standing next to a freind (I believe it was Ryan from XMFAN.COM) and I turned to him and made a comment how I love XM's Equipment but that the programming is going down hill quickly (I said it loud enough so Lee and Hugh could hear me) they quickly scurried away when other reporters around us started agreeing talking about how bad XM's programming has been lately.

The Press Conference itself was stange with only talk of the new equipment and NOTHING about the programming. In addition they just ended the press conference with NO QUESTIONS from the press.

It is my opinion that this company is in trouble and something needs to be done (and done QUICKLY) XM was Great, it could be great again.

Being a Sirius sub, I hope they get their act together soon. I think every consumer benefits from competition in whatever market they are interested in...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Here is a rumor I am hearing from a few seperate sources, and that rumor is XM CEO could soon be out of his position at XM.

XM has been having a lot of problems as of late, and if you have been a long time subscriber then you have probably noticed the quality of programming has deeply gone down hill over the past 2 years.

According to former XM 80's on 8 Program Director XM is more interested in selling radios then selling radio.

It was funny at XM's CES Press Conference I was standing next to Lee Abrams who is the head of XM Programming, and XM CEO Hugh Penero, I was standing next to a freind (I believe it was Ryan from XMFAN.COM) and I turned to him and made a comment how I love XM's Equipment but that the programming is going down hill quickly (I said it loud enough so Lee and Hugh could hear me) they quickly scurried away when other reporters around us started agreeing talking about how bad XM's programming has been lately.

The Press Conference itself was stange with only talk of the new equipment and NOTHING about the programming. In addition they just ended the press conference with NO QUESTIONS from the press.

It is my opinion that this company is in trouble and something needs to be done (and done QUICKLY) XM was Great, it could be great again.

If you're going to spread unattributed, baseless rumors (which you probably picked up from the cesspool that is the Yahoo message board), at least get the name right. That might help your credibility a bit.

It's Panero, not Penero.

And by the way, I was at the same press conference and I was standing next to Lee Abrams and:

1. No one said anything like you claim to have said.

2. Therefore, no other reporters could have agreed with you, even if your impression about XM programming was widespread, which it is not.

3. Panero was not anywhere near Lee during the press conference because he (Panero) was up on stage during most of it, doing the presentation. And he was standing beside the stage during the rest of it. (Lee was in the middle of the audience.)

4. As you no doubt know, CES is designed to introduce equipment, not programming.

5. As you may or may not know, a few weeks after CES, XM announced the signing of Oprah Winfrey to a content deal.

Facts are such inconvenient things.

Last edited:
redhot47fl said:
If you're going to spread unattributed, baseless rumors (which you probably picked up from the cesspool that is the Yahoo message board), at least get the name right. That might help your credibility a bit.

It's Panero, not Penero.

And by the way, I was at the same press conference and I was standing next to Lee Abrams and:

2. Therefore, no other reporters could have agreed with you, even if your impression about XM programming was widespread, which it is not.

3. Panero was not anywhere near Lee during the press conference because he (Panero) was up on stage during most of it, doing the presentation. And he was standing beside the stage during the rest of it. (Lee was in the middle of the audience.)

4. As you no doubt know, CES is designed to introduce equipment, not programming.

5. As you may or may not know, a few weeks after CES, XM announced the signing of Oprah Winfrey to a content deal.

Yeah scott what the heck is wrong with you mmmaaannn

Next yoou'll be telling everyone dish is dropping Sirius stick to the fact mmmaaannn ;)

Last edited:
REDHOT47:

7 posts and this garbage! What a troll; so Scott mis-typed the name, more than likely an accident, get a life. Also, how do we know YOUR info is the truth? We all know Scott and his rep for the truth in reporting, who the heck are you? What a jackass!

Last edited:
hehe, where'd you get hear this from Scott, Howard Stern? He said the same thing this morning.

redhot47fl said:

If you want facts then you need to get your facts straight.

Were you standing next to him the entire time? I was there before they started letting people in. After I went in the gards wouldn't let anyone else in until it was time. The only reason I got in was because I was talking to Chance and walked in with him

And how do you know this? Were you listening to everyones conversations? There were at least 400 people there.

Again I call your bluff unless you were listening to everything going on in the room at the same time, I was standing with Ryan from XMFan and also Dave Graveline in the very front by the stage.

Very good you get a cookie. But this was BEFORE the press conference started.

And if you have ever been to XM's CES events inthe past as I have they have introduced new programming at the Press Event and they have always taken questions from the press, but not this year.

Big whoop, how many people are going to sign up and listen for Oprah to talk for a HALF HOUR A WEEK? Oprahs a nice name but this is a bad deal for XM.

Especially when your facts are so screwed up.

Don't get me wrong I still LOVE XM. I talk to people from XM all the time. I myself have 4 XM radios. I dont think that it should be Hugh who needs to go I think XM needs a shakeup in its programming department.

This information came to me from a highly trusted source and then was hinted at by another. And no it did not come from Yahoo, I dont read that stuff. I can only report what I hear and have properly labeled this as a rumor.

Who in the hell is this redhot guy? Does he not know Scott runs this place.

I do agree to some extent about the programming on XM although I do not listen to the full spectrum mostly O&A, Ethel, Lucy, the comedy, and MLB. The talk and comedy is great but the music SUCKS. I also listen to the Blues station some and it is ok. I hardly hear a song that I like or even know on any of the rock stations.

charper1 said:
REDHOT47:

7 posts and this garbage! What a troll; so Scott mis-typed the name, more than likely an accident, get a life. Also, how do we know YOUR info is the truth? We all know Scott and his rep for the truth in reporting, who the heck are you? What a jackass!

I happen to know Redhot47 personally, I can attest that what he is saying is the absolute truth. He has not and will not lie about this.

Now for when you come back and attack me for only having one post here... if any of you visit the XM boards on Raging Bull, Yahoo, XMFan or XM411 know that I've been around for years. I have followed this company closely for over 5 years now and have done so with the help of Redhot47. Those that are familiar with me, know that I've worked in the radio business for over 16 years and know that I know a thing or two about DARS.

I completely resent your assertions of calling him a "troll" a "jackass" or imply that he is lying. Redhot was there in the press conference -- invited by XM themselves -- and covered it in great detail. This I can attest to and will stake my reputation on what he says as true.

Knowing what I know about my friends who were in attendance there and now having read "Scott's" comments, it tells me that "Scott" has little credibility. If he did get the info from listening to Howard, then he has much to learn about how and what Howard reports... something I know a little about.

Now, "Scott" wants to claim everything he heard happened beforehand, yet his way of saying all this and responding has been in a rather attacking style -- first at XM, then at posters. Just look at his response to Redhot and how he point by point tried to discredit the poster, plus used similar comments that Stern has used. Look at his attacking of the Oprah deal, when it is obvious that he doesn't even get it. To even suggest that it is a "bad deal" shows his lack of understanding the deal or the marketability of the brand.

It is more than obvious that "Scott" is a Stern fan and is merely repeating what he says... which is fine, I was a Stern fan too. But he has a lot to learn about what Howard says.

BTW, one of the reasons they didn't take questions from reporters was due to what happened at the last CES when Panero was confronted by a Stern fan who asked inappopriate questions... and they were expecting more of it this year. So they avoided it all together. I have good "sources" too.

--

Last edited:
You know it is just a rumor. No need to get your panties in a bind....

You have said your piece now that it is a rumor, will we hear from you if it becomes truth??

As moderator of the Satellite Radio Forum, I ask all posters to eliminate the name calling in total and negativity to an absolute minimum. Productive criticism is what we want, not a flame war. There is a multitude of other forums for that.

Rumors are rumors and as far as I can tell this thread was created and plainly stated as a rumor.

KEEP IT CIVIL!!
:)

Interesting discussion. I haven't noticed any decline in programming quality on XM over the last couple of years. But, that has everything to do with the fact that I listen to a lot of the talk/news stations. I imagine that highly repetitive or unimagtinative music lineups would eventually drive XM subscribers away to Sirius. But, that's a long term problem.

In the short run, XM is in a heated battle with Sirius to get new subscribers. While not very expensive, most people are afraid or unwilling to plunk down the cash for the equipment and installation. (Or, for that matter, once people have made the commitment, they are less likely to make the switch. Present company excluded, of course). That's why these new, innovative receivers that have been recently released and/or debuted are so important to future growth.

While Sirius has certainly made signficant strides over the lear year, IMHO XM still offers better technology at this point in time -- i.e., portable XM2GO receivers that can play live programming, even when not in the cradle. That's a very important advantage when it comes to signing up new subscribers.

Whether there is going to be new blood at XM or not, the emphasis on maintaining a competetive edge in technology is still key. But, assuming there has been a drop in quality of programming over the last couple of years, it certainly wouldn't hurt to shift some attention to keeping current customers happy.

Most of the good dj's have been letgo .. There is way too much voice tracking.. (im talking about the decade channels).. They seem to have lost most of their personality

homer985 said:
It is more than obvious that "Scott" is a Stern fan and is merely repeating what he says... which is fine, I was a Stern fan too. But he has a lot to learn about what Howard says.
Man it would surprise you that I listen to O&A more then I listen to Stern lately. :) (Happy Birthday Lil Jimmy!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts