Rumor

wantogetstarted

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 31, 2006
Mars, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
My brother lives in Erie PA. Now we heard a rumor that with a good antenna we could get stations from Toronto. Is this true? We checked antennaweb and nothing showed up. But then I thought maybe they did not show non US stations. It would be sweet to get some extra free networks at his place!!!

Thanks for any input!

Depending on where you are in Erie and where the towers are for the Toronto area; you are looking at about 90 - 125 miles right?

My guess would be that with the best/largest gain antenna, mounted VERY high up in the air (clearing tree tops), correctly aimed, and given ideal weather conditions it should be possible.

My other guess is that the cost and trouble incurred for what might be gained, wouldn't be worth it. IMHO.

I think you will find that the weather and the lakes are the main factors in getting Toronto or not. I doubt this would be a stable situation.
I live south of Detroit and certain times I can get Cleveland OTA, but not on a consistant basis.

wantogetstarted said:
My brother lives in Erie PA. Now we heard a rumor that with a good antenna we could get stations from Toronto. Is this true? It would be sweet to get some extra free networks at his place!!!

Thanks for any input!

I grew up in Niagara Falls. We could get Erie stations whenever the conditions over Lake Erie were favorable. The Fall is the best time of the year for over the water reception.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci333317,00.html

I'd assume that you could get Toronto occasionally, but not reliably.

I live about 30 miles east of Erie and you can get Canadian TV in this area. At one time all I had was OTA and the Canadian stations were my favorites. You will need a top of the line anntenna/rotor setup to get the best reception. I can get about 15 or so stations in all with a good setup. My OTA is messed up right now but I still get a few channels with reasonable quality. Of course, I can't guarentee anythiong for your brother. I guess since he is west of me, he would be that much father from Toronto, so it might be dicey.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
I live about 30 miles east of Erie and you can get Canadian TV in this area. At one time all I had was OTA and the Canadian stations were my favorites. You will need a top of the line anntenna/rotor setup to get the best reception. I can get about 15 or so stations in all with a good setup. My OTA is messed up right now but I still get a few channels with reasonable quality. Of course, I can't guarentee anythiong for your brother. I guess since he is west of me, he would be that much father from Toronto, so it might be dicey.

Cool! I think we might try it. We are football nuts and hoping to see some CFL football! Hockey night in Canada would be great too!!! But this is all wishful thinking until we see what happens!

I would think you could get at least CHCH channel 11-that is a very strong signal. I just checked my OTA (which is currently aimed the wrong way and missing a few parts) and I am getting the following:

Channel 4 Buffalo watchable (I watch the news every night on it).
Channel 5 Canada (CBC I think) barely watchable.
Channel 7 Buffalo a little better than 4 watchable.
Channel 11 CHCH very watchable-if anntenna were turned it would be very good.
Channel 17 WNED PBS watchable.
Channel 23 WNLO barely watchable.
Channel 49 Buffalo watchable.

I also get all the Erie stations. Also to be clear, I am speaking of analog only-I have no experience with digital. Remember, your experience could be different with the Buffalo & Canadian stations depending on your location. Also, you would need a good setup for best results-big anntenna, rotor, amp etc.-about $300.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)