RV Satellite Woes

Gregroadwarrior

Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Texas
I live in an RV and travel a great deal. I failed to anchor my DISH 500 in Louisiana and it died in high winds. I upgraded my receiver to a VIP 222K receiver and 1000.2 eastern arc set with two LNBFs for 61.5 and 72.7. Our travels have taken us west to Colorado and east to Maine. Eastern arc worked ok for the eastern arc, but as we got to Kansas and Colorado, it was necessary to switch to western arc?
1. Is it recommended to have two dishes which I can switch between for better reception?
2. Should I just keep using my 1000.2 and aim for just 110 and 119 or switch to a 1000.4 with three LNBFs to bring in 129?
3. To get better reception on eastern arc, should I switch to a 1000.4 to get 77?
4. Any recommendation on a satellite aiming meter that identifies the satellite that doesn't cost and arm and a leg?

I would get 2 1000.2 dishes. One set for Eastern and 1 set for Western with 1000.2 LNB's for each one, Eastern and Western and a guide that shows the pointing angles for each zip code

It’s easier to make minor adjustments than complete reconfigures going from east to west and back

But 2 dishes and their tripods take up a lot of space in an RV and moving from place to place require re-orientation anyway.

Tripod will have to be collapsed for storage while moving.

You rarely will reenter the other arc at the same place you left it if I know RVers.

I vote one dish 2 lnb's.

I see no need to carry two dishes to cover both arcs. I carry a 1000.4 tripod mounted dish in my RV, and I easily switch between the eastern and western arcs just by switching LNB's and running a check switch. It only takes two small screws and swapping cables, and I can do it in about 5 minutes. At each new location I have to reset the elevation, skew, and azimuth anyway regardless of the arc, so that's not an issue. Having both LNB's gives me more aiming opportunities no matter where we are. I've used the western arc in MA, and the eastern arc in AZ.

I live in an RV and travel a great deal. I failed to anchor my DISH 500 in Louisiana and it died in high winds. I upgraded my receiver to a VIP 222K receiver and 1000.2 eastern arc set with two LNBFs for 61.5 and 72.7. Our travels have taken us west to Colorado and east to Maine. Eastern arc worked ok for the eastern arc, but as we got to Kansas and Colorado, it was necessary to switch to western arc?
1. Is it recommended to have two dishes which I can switch between for better reception?
2. Should I just keep using my 1000.2 and aim for just 110 and 119 or switch to a 1000.4 with three LNBFs to bring in 129?
3. To get better reception on eastern arc, should I switch to a 1000.4 to get 77?
4. Any recommendation on a satellite aiming meter that identifies the satellite that doesn't cost and arm and a leg?

I full time RV and I'd suggest buying two, complete 1000.4 dishes -- one with a Western Arc LNBF and the other with an Eastern Arc LNBF. I suggest two, complete dishes because of your recent experience with your DISH 500. I've had a couple of my tripod setups blow over and it's smart to carry a spare.

The 1000.4 is better built than the 1000.2 and stores easier when you take it apart. Plus, for a 1000.4 you get sat 77 which is used for HD locals in several markets.

Cheap sat mater? Not any that I would recommend. I use a Super Buddy 29. They can be had on eBay for a few hundred bucks.

I anchor my tripod with either two "dog tie out" ground screws or a 5-gallon bucket of water depending on the ground conditions and how long we'll be there. Both methods have withstood 50-60 MPH wind gusts with no signal loss. Our RV was moving more than the dish. I should also mention that I modified my dish for a no tools needed setup and aiming. I do use a small pocket screwdriver to change LNB's though.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I use two 5 gallon buckets with about 3 gallons each of water for stability. I have been through winds much higher that 50 mph and no tip over. Works on any surface. I take the arm off of the DPP 1000.2 dish for storing in the belly of the motorhome, 4 bolts. If setting up a lot like in the east, the dish goes in the back of the Equinox. Too much space needed for two dishes.

You don't need 2 dishes just a Western Arc LNB to swap out on your 1000.2 dish.

I agree 100%

Get 1 Dish with both an eastern and western arc LNB.

If I’m not mistaken the 1000.4 allows you to change the LNB’S. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

As far as pointing the Dish, the easiest thing to do is get the W Adaptor and use separate LNB’s with an external switch. It’s easier to do it this way without spending $500 on a fancy meter.

If it was me, I would get a tailgater or pathfinder and be done with it.

As far as eastern vs western arc, unless you got line of site issues or want locals specific to one satellite, stick with western arc

Reactions: HipKat
I agree 100%

Get 1 Dish with both an eastern and western arc LNB.

If I’m not mistaken the 1000.4 allows you to change the LNB’S. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

As far as pointing the Dish, the easiest thing to do is get the W Adaptor and use separate LNB’s with an external switch. It’s easier to do it this way without spending $500 on a fancy meter.

As far as eastern vs western arc, unless you got line of site issues or want locals specific to one satellite, stick with western arc
You can change LNB's on a .4. They both line up with the 2 tabs on the Y-Bracket

Reactions: NYDutch
Most of the time, I just loosen the 2 large wingnuts clamping the mount to the tripod, lift off the dish, and stow both parts in the back of our towed SUV where it's readily available for the next setup, usually later the same day. If I need to completely stow our 1000.4 dish in a storage bay, I just pop the reflector off the mount by unscrewing the 4 large wingnuts I replaced the original hex nuts with. All of the adjustments are also done using large handled wingnuts.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The forget about using a Hopper. Neither of these work with any of the Hoppers.

You do get line of site issues in the great outdoors . . .

dish_aiming03.jpg

Plus, if you're traveling with a Hopper (like I am), and you want PTAT, then you need HD locals . . . which are not always on Western Arc sats.

If investing, DPP 1000.4 do not have Hybrid LNBFs for Hopper 3 like the DPP 1000.2 does.

You do get line of site issues in
If investing, DPP 1000.4 do not have Hybrid LNBFs for Hopper 3 like the DPP 1000.2 does.

But a 1000.4 with a DPP triple LNB works fine with a Hopper3 by using a DPH42 switch. On the eastern arc, that also means you can "see" the 77 sat in addition to 61.5 and 72.7, adding some extra tuning opportunities.

Reactions: pattykay
I don't mind using a DPH-42 with the Traveler but I really don't want to stick one on the tripod.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)