S-video or Composite to 480i Component Converter/Adapter?

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
The TV2 signal from my Dish ViP222 is SD and I can readily convert it to composite or S-video with Rat Shack RF converter. However, the TV to which I now want to send that TV2 signal (an older HDTV) can now longer properly display inputs to its analog ports (RF, composite, or s-video) due to an apparently un-repairable problem.

But, if I could convert the TV2 signal to component (480i component would be fine), I can use the signal in this TV. Yeah, I know it is still 480i and 4x3 aspect ratio. Anyway, the only device I've found so far seems rather pricey, so I'm soliciting help here in finding other converter/adapters or other alternatives.

This is the only converter I've found to date:

Composite & S-Video to COMPONENT Video Converter

Thanks in advance,

Carl B.

I've often considered single-use converters.
But usually sobered up before actually purchasing them. - :D

If your TV had a VGA input, this item from Monoprice might work. *
edit : If not, would a VGA to Component cable help (do those exist? - apparently not)?
When I searched their site, I may have overlooked better choices, so do give 'em a peek.

But in the long run, the best solution is the one which gives the most flexibility, and future expansion.
Is it time for a new TV? . . . :rolleyes:

* I thought about something like this to use a spare LCD computer monitor as a bedroom TV.
Then the digital converter boxes and a spare 27" TV came to my attention, and sounded like a much better idea. - :cool:

For less than $200 you can get a 211, why mess with something that may not work

Yes, for less than $200 and $5/month for eternity or lease for $7 plus tax for eternity. Not inexpensive long term solutions.

I've often considered single-use converters.
But usually sobered up before actually purchasing them. - :D

If your TV had a VGA input, this item from Monoprice might work. *
edit : If not, would a VGA to Component cable help (do those exist? - apparently not)?
When I searched their site, I may have overlooked better choices, so do give 'em a peek.

But in the long run, the best solution is the one which gives the most flexibility, and future expansion.
Is it time for a new TV? . . . :rolleyes:

* I thought about something like this to use a spare LCD computer monitor as a bedroom TV.
Then the digital converter boxes and a spare 27" TV came to my attention, and sounded like a much better idea. - :cool:

Thanks, I do have a VGA input port on my TV; however, I'm not sure what things will look like in PC mode on the TV. I really had forgotten about the VGA port, so thanks again for the suggestion. I plan to explore this option further as it is definitely in the right price range.

BTW, I mis-stated my case in that if I use a component input, the input signal must be 480p or better as the handling of all 480i signals by my TV is hosed.

IIRC, some of the early digital tuner boxes had an upconverting component output.

It is only a matter of time before the TV fails altogether. Cut your losses: replace it and save yourself a whole lot of stomach lining.

Buy a Tivo Series 3 HD DVR from Weaknees. It can take analog antenna and cable signals and has all the HD outputs you need. Plus you gain DVR functionality in that room

IIRC, some of the early digital tuner boxes had an upconverting component output.

It is only a matter of time before the TV fails altogether. Cut your losses: replace it and save yourself a whole lot of stomach lining.

Actually, in the process of trying to solve my TVs problem, I got a total replacement of the two key video assemblies. While that didn't solve my analog input problem, it ensures several more years of good service from this TV. In fact the HDTV via DVI is as good or better than on day one 5 years ago. All this was via the 5-year extended warranty (a must by the way if you purchase a DLP RP HDTV), so I'm not out any dollars yet. That's why I want to keep the analog input solution inexpensive also.

Buy a Tivo Series 3 HD DVR from Weaknees. It can take analog antenna and cable signals and has all the HD outputs you need. Plus you gain DVR functionality in that room

Too expensive and HD outputs aren't my problem. I just need to be able to deal with analog inputs in general and a modulated RF signal from a ViP222 in particular. Right now this TV has its own ViP211 to provide DBS HD and does it fine. However, in the next 6 months to a year, this TV will become the secondary TV in the basement playroom, when we purchase a new LCD HDTV.

DVD recorders will typically have composite and svideo inputs with composite svideo and component output.

A cheap DVD recorder can run less than $100 and will offer more utility than the converter mentioned in the OP.

There is also ebay where a cheap DVD recorder can probably be had for around $50 delivered.

DVD recorders will typically have composite and svideo inputs with composite svideo and component output.

A cheap DVD recorder can run less than $100 and will offer more utility than the converter mentioned in the OP.

There is also ebay where a cheap DVD recorder can probably be had for around $50 delivered.

Yeah, but is it just pass through only through similar ports or will it convert an s-video to component on the fly?

A good idea. I have an older DVD recorder in use elsewhere, but it will up-convert any of its 480i inputs (RF NTSC tuner, composite, s-video) to 480p on component. That dude cost me $400, but you are correct, some can now be had for around $100. That old JVC DVD recorder actually does a good job currently displaying OTA NTSC local TV channels in 480p from a component output. The PQ is very good for OTA analog TV.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Carl B.

DVD recorders will convert the signal on the fly. Meaning composite or svideo input can be output via component (or composite or svideo).

DVD recorder inputs can also be output via HDMI if the DVD recorder also includes HDMI output but that doesn't apply in this case based on the OP's inquiry.

A couple of updates to my stated problem. I really can't convert the TV2 RF signal from the ViP222 with the existing equipment I have, so I do need something with an NTSC tuner as well as conversion capability. I also find that I cannot use a 480i signal into any of my component inputs on the Sammy DLP. On Component 2 and 3, it simply won't accept an input less than 480p. On Component 1, which is supposed to be for 480i and 480p, I find that the 480i signal displays the same distortion I see with composite, s-video, and straight RF to the Sammy's NTSC tuner.

So the most economical suggestions that would solve my problem appear to be either an RF to VGA converter or a cheap DVD recorder.

Thank you all,

Carl B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)