S-Video Output while watching HD?

pfef98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Pace, FL
What get's out through the S-Video when you're watching HD through the DVI or Component Outputs?

I am considering getting an 811 and integrating it with my Standalone Tivo, connecting the DVI directly to my TV and the S-Video to the Tivo. I'm aware that the Tivo won't be able to record any HD content and that's fine, but when HD is tuned does it just 'black out' the SD outputs?

Also, it's my understanding that ALL of the content is put out through the DVI connector? Doesn't matter if it's HD or SD?

Thanks for the help.

--Matt

Matt...

Svideo and DVI are active simulataneously... so yes, you can hook the Svideo up to Tivo.

You are correct, all output will be put out through the DVI connector, HD and SD.

Through your S-Video, HD content is down converted to SD with either normal aspect (16x9 and produces bars) or zoom that fills a 4x3 screen but cuts off the sides of the video.

Through your DVI connection, SD content is up converted to 480p, 720p, or 1080i (you will want to set this to the native resolution of your TV to get the best picture, usually 1080i) in normal (4x3), stretch (strectched to fit 16x9), partial zoom (best IMHO, zooms a little and stretches a little to fit 16x9), or full zoom.

So, All content is veiwable on both outputs at the same time. This is one area where I am particularly pleased with the 811.

Well, that's pretty awesome, I didn't know it downconverted so that both outputs are 'live' at all times.

That does make things convenient.

--Matt

There is now (since software 2.69) the additional option of resizing the SD outputs (s-video, baseband composite). Previously, some 4:3 digital OTA's would be undersized and have a black border on all 4 sides. Now you can zoom that out and get a regular sized image. BUT, that zoomed mode will zoom out a 16:9 HD OTA broadcast and it will appear to be 4:3 :(

I wish the box could detect the source format and do an auto zoom on undersized 4:3 digital OTA. As it is now, the SD zoom button is getting heavy use on the remote. If the SD zoom is on and you tune to a digital OTA, you don't know if it is 4:3 or 16:9 (unless there is text cut off the sides). Still, it's better than it was prior to 2.69.

I use RF modulated composite SD to a bedroom TV.

So that RF Output is strong enough to go to a bedroom TV?

I have a 322 now, but I'm thinking of swapping to an 811 and possibly a 311, but if the RF output of the 811 is strong enough, I might save my money.

--Matt

pfef98 said:
So that RF Output is strong enough to go to a bedroom TV?

I have a 322 now, but I'm thinking of swapping to an 811 and possibly a 311, but if the RF output of the 811 is strong enough, I might save my money.

--Matt

The 811 does NOT have an RF output. It does have a baseband composite output, that can drive an external RF modulator. Some RF modulators accept s-video inputs but you won't get any improvement of image quality, because the RF modulator will convert the s-video signal to RF composite.

Keith.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts